Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 85 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 81 21.8%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 11.9%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 36 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 14.3%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.8%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Will Still

Votes: 40 10.8%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2022
I confess I really don't understand this clamour for an "experienced championship manager". It's a really poor approach.

Firstly, an actual good/proven "experienced championship manager" will not come here. If they are good and proven, they will go elsewhere (to a good/proven championship club for starters.)

Secondly, it's really important to remember that there is lots of evidence that experience does not necessarily equal expertise/skill in any field. This has been shown in lots of areas, and I think is especially the case in football management. SH has discussed this in the past.

Thirdly, in football (as in life)- past managerial success is a not a great predictor of future success.

Lastly, most of the successful managers in the championship this season have been rookies. They certainly weren't proven managers before they joined (let alone proven Championship ones). These being McKenna, Rosenior, Rohl etc.

Let's not confuse poor execution of a sound approach (IF's appointment) with the idea that the approach itself is wrong. Rohl is a great example of the same approach, executed much better.

Very well said. Now please copy and paste this onto every thread discussing this matter until the new head coach is appointed šŸ¤£

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
So why restrict him ,seems someone has to much say to me , are owner must be aware or perhaps he likes that situation šŸ¤·
It is the norm in the football industry now and liked by most club owners. Clubs have people as directors of football, people in charge of recruitment and other people to coach the playing staff.
It has been the normal practise on the continent for longer than in England.

Reactions: Jon with no H
May 11, 2019
Yes. But any aspiring manager wonā€™t sign that contract.

We are a stepping stone. Most clubs are.
Yeah, spot on, this is where we are as a club for both manager and players, you can attract a higher standard of both if your seen not to stand in their way when there opportunity comes knocking.

Jul 12, 2016
Very well said. Now please copy and paste this onto every thread discussing this matter until the new head coach is appointed šŸ¤£
Probably have as much chance of getting the right head coach by putting a few names in a hat and randomly picking a name.

Mar 24, 2019
Ultimately we need a schuey clone ā€¦we need to look at all the reasons why he was so successful and why the players loved playing for him and respected his methods and find someone with similar attributes.

I think squad harmony has had a lot to do with our recent success , and because of our location and the amount of time the players have to spend together travelling , itā€™s probably more important than at any other club .we all saw how the appointment of the abrasive foster affected that .

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
Pains me to say but I think SS will get Stoke pushing for the play offs next season.
I'm pretty confident he will too. Him and Walters seem to be more on each other's wavelength than he was with the previous D of F. He seems to be getting the squad and fans onside too following a tricky start.

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Mar 4, 2004
Given our financial situation compared to most in the Championship, isn't the very essense of being smarter, about getting ahead of the curve on rising players or managers. By its nature that comes with risk, as pushing the envelope of predicting the future is a tricky buisness. The lessons of Foster's appointment will have been learned but it'll be the same kind punt to a large extent on a similar level of coach/manager. Whoever it is will have to work another miracle, as it looks a strong league next season.

Dec 20, 2023
South Hams
Whoever it is, they need to be able to truly understand the nature of this club, and itā€™s players. The way they bond. The way the fans react to that bond.

Itā€™s a shame we canā€™t have week long ā€œinductionā€ periods as part of any selection, and garner some player and staff feedback.

Evolution not revolution.

In the words of a sporting legend, i want us to evolveā€¦ā€¦notā€¦..revolveā€¦

3509E0BD-A73D-45A4-A12F-42C19E4B5C5A-3047-0000071AC14ECAC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Jul 28, 2020
Given our financial situation compared to most in the Championship, isn't the very essense of being smarter, about getting ahead of the curve on rising players or managers. By its nature that comes with risk, as pushing the envelope of predicting the future is a tricky buisness. The lessons of Foster's appointment will have been learned but it'll be the same kind punt to a large extent on a similar level of coach/manager. Whoever it is will have to work another miracle, as it looks a strong league next season.
Theres a lot of good sense in what you say

And I think theres a clue to who we should be looking for in what you've written :' whoever it is will have to work another miracle'

Proof of deity and of working miracles comes in short supply

But if this is what we are looking for - and I agree that it is - there are some in the football world who can make that claim, but you might have to look far and wide to find them

It's also essential, in my opinion, that whover it is that is chosen is also able to prove that theyve built a very strong team spirit

You want find any of those proofs amongst candidates who haven't managed at senior league level or are only assistant managers

One such would be gaute helstrup, who's miracle of sorts, was the success he achieved at Tromso, a geographically remote club, and a poorer club successfully competing against richer clubs

Not that I'm necessarily advocating for gaute helstrup, but he has the type of background which I think should be of interest

What isnt really of much interest to me is FA badges or courses..