Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 49 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

May 28, 2015
I think Ian Evatt will be looked at especially if Bolton don't get promoted.
A decent record and according to Transfermarkt, plays a 3-4-2-1
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ian-evatt/profil/trainer/60275
Depends if he wants to leave. Being paid more at Bolton than he would be here and also probably has more to spend. Could you also argue that with his squad he should really have them up by now? Wouldn’t be the worst appointment but I can’t see it

Reactions: Green as Grass
May 28, 2015
Bit of a curve ball, but there is another Duff. Damien.
Currently managing Shelbourne in the League of Ireland - top of the premier league after 10 games. (I’d put the LoI at about League 1 level, with a sprinkling of Championship standard players…)

He’s a straight talker, had coaching experience with Neil Lennon at Celtic & was a hell of a player….
Just a thought.
I would put the league of Ireland level with the national league with a sprinkling of league 2 players. Rory Patterson was not great and he was a top player over there years ago when we signed him. That league has got worse since then as far as I’m aware. Can’t see us even looking at him

Jul 12, 2016
I don't think we can be mathematically safe until after the Millwall game at the earliest and, as that is only a week before season's end, I assume we will wait until we know what league we are in before recruiting.
Yes we can. Win at Stoke and Sheff wed and Huddersfield don’t and with our vastly superior goal difference we should be home and dry barring ridiculous scores.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Mar 21, 2013
Win at Stoke & both Wednesday & Huddersfield lose & we‘re 7 points clear with 6 to play for so mathematically safe, a win for us & those 2 to draw is 6 points & like you say goal difference should make the difference with only 2 games to play, so the perfect results Saturday & we’re good.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I respect yiour view on Duff but I don't share it, if you read the BBC link below (apologies for repeating it but it is so damning) - Michael Duff's tenure followed exactly the same pattern at Swansea like Foster's at Argyle by alienating fans and players alike and disrupting the well earned identity of the club , except of course he had proven extensive managerial experience. I always felt Luke Williams would have been a good appointment for us at the time and so it has proved given how he has now got Swansea playing.

Now I just look forward to hearing when the interviews will be and will no doubt hear of candidates checking into their hotel! Just got to secure our Championship status first.
Duff was never the right manager for Swansea, but especially having him following Martin whose sides sometimes have 70/80% possession, was always a recipe for disaster. Duff's sides have never played that way, and so appointing him to play that way was a baffling choice. His sides are attacking, exciting and dynamic though. I think he'd be a much better fit for us than he was for Swansea. I also think it's worth pointing out that his Barnsley side hadn't started last season that well, they went on an incredible run of form in the second half of the season, and I do think he could have done the same at Swansea if given a chance, as a lot of managers are streaky and hit similar form at similar times of year. He was never going to get that chance being such a poor fit at Swansea though. With a full summer behind him I think he could be a really good appointment for us. I wouldn't necessarily expect the fastest start to a season ever, as his sides can take time to hit form as previously mentioned, but if given time which I think he would get here, then I think he could be a success. I think he would get the club and the fans, and that it would be much easier to buy into him, even if he doesn't get off to the best start.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I would put the league of Ireland level with the national league with a sprinkling of league 2 players. Rory Patterson was not great and he was a top player over there years ago when we signed him. That league has got worse since then as far as I’m aware. Can’t see us even looking at him
I would rank the LOI about National League with a sprinkling of League 2 standard players as well.
Rory Patterson played in the Northern Irish League though surely not the LOI?

Feb 23, 2022
I would rank the LOI about National League with a sprinkling of League 2 standard players as well.
Rory Patterson played in the Northern Irish League though surely not the LOI?
Yep, Patterson came from NI league, not the LoI.

The LoI has had a mixed few years, though Dundalk had a pretty good run in Europe a few years back. It is improving though.

Supports levels are increasing too. Over 10,000 at a recent Shamrock Rovers game & even Waterford, a small city of 50,000 get between 4-5,000 for top games. Way superior to National League.

Some decent players too, but my point was Duff, (Damien) has shown some potential.
As coaching Celtic isn’t too shabby either.

As I said, a long-shot. 👍🏼

Reactions: Wexford Green

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Supports levels are increasing too. Over 10,000 at a recent Shamrock Rovers game & even Waterford, a small city of 50,000 get between 4-5,000 for top games. Way superior to National League.
The support levels are very similar in fact with seven National League teams getting higher average attendances than Waterford this season.