Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 51 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I'd be wary of getting an application from a manager who has not had long at a club that he's doing well at. Different matter if we are making an approach.

None of the names on Postey's list grabs me. But then, I suspect that betting odds and reality are miles apart at this stage. I suspect the list will change when we know which division we (and others) will be in next season.

Reactions: Liam Vercoe
Jun 27, 2019
Mike Williamson? Young, up and coming L2 manager, attractive style of football. Any of the others I agree I’d be surprised.
Win percentages of 47% at Gateshead and 56% at MK Dons would suggest he's definitely worth a look. He likes to play a possession-based, high-risk style of football - whether that would work in the Championship with our budget is debatable, but you could see him appealing to SH/ND on that basis.

Also, these quotes really stand out given our previous incumbent's much-maligned relationship style:

“We want to build something with them [the players] and all of that starts with trust. They have to trust us. That’s the main factor in football. I could come in and give all of the presentations or speeches, but that doesn’t mean a thing. It’s about consistent action around our interaction and relationships.
"The relationships you build with the community, local businesses, with academy lads. Whether I’m here for another five minutes, five years, 50 years, that’s entirely out of my control. So we do it for the experiences, the differences we make."

Win percentages of 47% at Gateshead and 56% at MK Dons would suggest he's definitely worth a look. He likes to play a possession-based, high-risk style of football - whether that would work in the Championship with our budget is debatable, but you could see him appealing to SH/ND on that basis.

Also, these quotes really stand out given our previous incumbent's much-maligned relationship style:
His Wikipedia CV reads well, with a solid 6 years playing at Newcastle, plus decent managerial experience so far.

Reactions: semper crudus

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Simon's statement that the man we got was not the man we interviewed shows that probably the most difficult thing to spot at interview is someone's man-management skills. That difficulty was exacerbated with our outgoing Head Coach because there were not many credible places to go to do some due diligence on his 'modus operandi'. Perhaps Ian Foster's tenure at Portsmouth as first team coach was the closest we could have got. I would think that one or two of our players may have known someone who was at Pompey back then, though the first team coach role (as Schuey said when he made the leap to 'gaffer') is one that can allow some familiarity. He can go to the players' party, he can play golf with them. He is the one that can absorb some of the discontent without ultimate responsibility. He is the one who can say to a disgruntled player "Well, if I was the gaffer I would be picking you", content in the knowledge that he doesn't have that final responsibility.

In maintaining their progress over the past four or five years Argyle has done some things in a way that may be considered 'off the wall' by some yet they have worked well for us. So, when we come to interview the next set of candidates is it too bizarre to consider having one of Joe Edwards or Nance as part of the process? Certainly the squad trust both implicitly and both men know better than anyone else what makes this dressing room tick and, importantly, they recognise that any Head Coach/Manager we employ simply has to embrace and support the family ethos that is the bedrock of the club. He needs to be a natural 'people-person' and be able to acknowledge that every single permanent employee (and casual worker) is an integral part of the pyramid that supports the first team.

Of course, someone in such a crucial and busy role cannot stop and talk to everyone he meets but the very least that should be expected is an acknowledging nod, wave or 'hi there'. It is no coincidence that the best we have ever had - Tony Waiters, Dave Smith, Paul Sturrock and even the three that left under a cloud - Holloway, Lowe and Schumacher - had that kind of behaviour about them.

Dec 28, 2023
I'd be wary of getting an application from a manager who has not had long at a club that he's doing well at. Different matter if we are making an approach.

None of the names on Postey's list grabs me. But then, I suspect that betting odds and reality are miles apart at this stage. I suspect the list will change when we know which division we (and others) will be in next season.
i've not seen a betting odds list as yet. it was wildly worng last time anyway but makes amusing reading! Gus Poyet!!

Dec 30, 2020
I've watched a lot of League 2 football this season and the gap between it and the Championship is huge. What works in League 2 wouldn't necessarily do so in the Championship.

I'm always a bit wary of managers who get the job just by virtue of being the oldest player. Happens a lot in the lower leagues and seems to be the case with Williamson at Gateshead.

He's been a success there and at MKD but does make me wonder whether he's got the detailed coaching knowledge to be a success in the Championship or is he winging it a bit at a lower level of football.

I'm sure that after Foster people will be saying that good coaching can't be taught on a course etc. But that one experience doesn't negate the fact that in general, football puts an increasingly high premium on coaching and other relevant qualifications and that there is a good reason for that.

(This is more a general point about the value of coaching qualifications than about Williamson - I'm assuming from the fact he went into the manager's job more or less straight from playing, with no real coaching experience, that he hasn't had much in the way of education/apprenticeship. If he has, that would make him a more attractive candidate in my eyes).

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Would consideration be made regarding whether we employ solely a Head Coach with no backroom staff or would priority be given to a Candidate who already has backroom staff

We have employed Simon Ireland on a short term contract until the end of the season
Will Simon be offered a contract at the end of the season dependant on who our new Head Coach/manager is - the same could be said regarding Dave Tivvy

So much for the hierarchy to think about

We need the right people in the right places before pre season starts

Reactions: jmh630
Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
As IF has proved we don't actually need a coach who has all the coaching qualifications. What we need is a man manager with emotional intelligence. Completely different role.
I agree definitely need a better man manager than IF but needs to have tactical no how. As our budget will be low again, if we survive the drop.

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
I think I'd prefer them to have know how Tony 😉
Edit....BTW your avatar always makes me smile. I loved Dave Smith as our manager and once spent a very interesting and funny hour in his company in a hotel in Leyland the night before a match. Fortunately well before social media as he gave us details of the team for the following day!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Edit....BTW your avatar always makes me smile. I loved Dave Smith as our manager and once spent a very interesting and funny hour in his company in a hotel in Leyland the night before a match. Fortunately well before social media as he gave us details of the team for the following day!
Bit of a busman's holiday?