Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 52 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Aug 29, 2008
As per my earlier post, I'm in the Mike Williamson camp. He might not have the level of managerial experience that we'd ideally want, but he's an up and coming manager with a lot of success to date, plays the right style of football, has tons of recent higher league experience as a player, and, importantly perhaps, was brought up in Devon. It just feels like a decent match, given we have a good set up for him to come into.

Reactions: Cobi Budge

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Is it too early for a poll ? Seriously though if we are safe next week does the appointment start to go into full swing or do we wait until seasons end? I personally think that we maybe wait til season end but want need it done by end of May to allow someone to mould there squad needs a rebuild this season with the rumoured departures. Will any investment possibilities hold up the process?
I don't know. What about Waldemar Fornalik? ;)

Regarding SH’s statement that the man we interviewed was not the man we got, about 30 years ago a colleague was interviewing for a purchasing manager. With the final two candidates set up, his secretary announced the arrival of the first candidate for interview with a funny look on her face, and a jingling in the background. The candidate entered his office in full cowboy outfit, complete with spurs. He said he occasionally enjoyed dressing like this! Lucky escape.

• Haha
Reactions: bodspafc
May 16, 2016
Sometimes you have to consider the fact that some highly praised - young and upcoming seems to be the top phrase - excel at the level they're at, becaue they're at that level but struggle to cope at the next one up.

How many 'Nathan Jones' have we seen, the ex Rotherham/Exeter guy for example. I can't remember who it was but I'm sure I read of one who described himself as a lower league Manager, maybe time will show that Schumacher may have hit his ceiling by getting us out of league 1. A classic example is John Sheridan, generally succesful at certain clubs in the lower ends of the leagues.

It'll be interesting to see how the Pompey manager gets on next season, obviously there's always an exception who (with a healthy budget maybe) does carry that momentum forward.

It's certainly a fascinating waiting period. Maybe our next manager has already been attending games or knows enough about us to avoid the mistakes made with Foster.

Dec 30, 2020
As IF has proved we don't actually need a coach who has all the coaching qualifications. What we need is a man manager with emotional intelligence. Completely different role.

That would be a predictable but wrong response to recent events. Foster is a sample size of one. He doesn't prove anything. The fact that someone with elite coaching qualifications was a failure does not mean that elite coaching qualifications are unnecessary. It just means they are not sufficient, and that emotional intelligence and man management are important as well.

There’s a reason coaching credentials are increasingly valued in football. It would be the biggest and most obvious mistake we could make in this situation if we swung from one extreme to the other, going from an inept man manager to someone with great banter but no comprehension of how to prepare players for top level football.

Sep 6, 2006
That would be a predictable but wrong response to recent events. Foster is a sample size of one. He doesn't prove anything. The fact that someone with elite coaching qualifications was a failure does not mean that elite coaching qualifications are unnecessary. It just means they are not sufficient, and that emotional intelligence and man management are important as well.

There’s a reason coaching credentials are increasingly valued in football. It would be the biggest and most obvious mistake we could make in this situation if we swung from one extreme to the other, going from an inept man manager to someone with great banter but no comprehension of how to prepare players for top level football.
It's not a prerequisite. We have coaches already. Someone who can man manage and is tactically astute is the priority.

Jul 5, 2023
I wonder if the club have gone back to the 100 or so potential candidates who expressed an interest last time round?

Didn't Andrew Parkinson? say that they were surprised by the calibre of some of the named. Perhaps the club have done some head hunting and resifted through this list.

Reactions: Will Roach
Feb 22, 2022
I'm relatively ignorant concerning the detail of Championship manager's (and player's) salaries but it feels to me that the next appointment should be more worthy of spending an additional and notional 'extra' £200K per annum in the belief that the right manager with proven skills and experience will prove to be a better investment for the club than, say, paying an 'extra' and similar amount to sign a 'great' player rather than just a 'really good' player. If SH can afford to do both (assuming we remain in the Championship) then all well and good.

I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well but whilst recognising our squad will probably see quite an overhaul this summer, I would not want us to go for some sort of 'value' / "Argyle price" option on the basis of exclusively maximising the player budget.

Get the manager appointment correct and the squad value will surely grow many, many times more than the actual monetary cost of that manager. But I don't know who that person is!

There's pressure on our team off the field as well as on with this one for sure.

Timeout

Jade Berrow 23/24
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
I wonder if the club have gone back to the 100 or so potential candidates who expressed an interest last time round?

Didn't Andrew Parkinson? say that they were surprised by the calibre of some of the named. Perhaps the club have done some head hunting and resifted through this list.
For me I think this is something that would/should be done just as part of the post mortem into the foster appointment.... Then of course approach any that were missed last time around

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey

But with Joe Edwards at Millwall and Beale at Sunderland, these two perhaps increase the sample size. Each post simply illustrates how difficult it is to get the right man and how easy it was to have made the mistake with Ian Foster.

Jan 12, 2020
But with Joe Edwards at Millwall and Beale at Sunderland, these two perhaps increase the sample size. Each post simply illustrates how difficult it is to get the right man and how easy it was to have made the mistake with Ian Foster.
What about Beale’s performance at QPR though? He did ok there and subsequently got the Rangers job which is a tough one to judge as if you finish behind Celtic then it’s deemed a failure 🤷🏻‍♂️

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
What about Beale’s performance at QPR though? He did ok there and subsequently got the Rangers job which is a tough one to judge as if you finish behind Celtic then it’s deemed a failure 🤷🏻‍♂️
Good point. 9-4-9 was his record at QPR with 30-30 goals for and against. So, yes a very even record. I recently met Lawrie McNenemy in my local shop. He remarked on our plight and joked about 'bloody managers with no experience'. Fortunately, I knew his story and realised it was a joke against himself!

Reactions: Drake