Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 58 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Mar 23, 2008
See Barnsley have sacked the manager again Duff and Paul Cook in the running this summer seems to be a competitive manager market already Sunderland Watford Barnsley Birmingham possibly already
I like the idea of Duff, whatever division we are in. I think it's good he's had a 'failure' on his CV, as I think most managers are better for it as part of the learning curve.
That said, as you say Barnsley will surely be an option for him.

Reactions: Railway sleeper
Jul 28, 2020
I like the idea of Duff, whatever division we are in. I think it's good he's had a 'failure' on his CV, as I think most managers are better for it as part of the learning curve.
That said, as you say Barnsley will surely be an option for him.
I think Duff would be a good option

If , and I repeat if, we do stay up, I think its naive to think were going to be able to complete by playing shueys style of football, 'passing through the thirds'

We will have lost the post promotion momentum, and will need to mix it up, be more combatative and very quick on the break

We need a manager who can mix-it-up

We also need somebody who has completed their 'apprenticeship' at other clubs and has a record of success ( and preferably a failure too)

Were a championship club ( at least at the moment)- it's no place for a 'learner', no matter what that 'learner' has done as a coach

Appointing a fresh rider to ride their first rodeo ? ( like foster)That to me seems like madness....

And isnt one of the definitions of madness - doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result ?

Duff, or somebody very similar to duff - but not necessarily from the UK, please....

Apr 4, 2004
I think Duff would be a good option

If , and I repeat if, we do stay up, I think its naive to think were going to be able to complete by playing shueys style of football, 'passing through the thirds'

We will have lost the post promotion momentum, and will need to mix it up, be more combatative and very quick on the break

We need a manager who can mix-it-up

We also need somebody who has completed their 'apprenticeship' at other clubs and has a record of success ( and preferably a failure too)

Were a championship club ( at least at the moment)- it's no place for a 'learner', no matter what that 'learner' has done as a coach

Appointing a fresh rider to ride their first rodeo ? ( like foster)That to me seems like madness....

And isnt one of the definitions of madness - doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result ?

Duff, or somebody very similar to duff - but not necessarily from the UK, please....
Sorry to disappoint but Duffs teams do play through the thirds. Both Cheltenham and Barnsley played great football. What they didn’t do was try to dominate possession of the ball. Which is fine by me but it didn’t sit well at Swansea. I agree he would be a good choice for us.

ciderup

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Dec 16, 2009
Just took a interested read of this, Hi Pilgrims BTW.
If you were, sadly, to go down (I think you won't), then Williamson would make sense, but not if you stay up. Hear me out.

We went for the young up and coming lower league Manager, when we had a decent buffer, which we have needed all of while he gets used to the Championship. Yes, we were starting to panic but it's turned out well, so far. With all possible respect, I don't think you would have that luxury, if you're at this level again so I would try for someone like Rowett, once Mowbray is back at Birmingham. He's a good Manager at this level and should be available.

If you did go down, you would have more than enough time for Williamson to settle and still be comfortable.

Another very good Manager, that would keep you up again is our Nige but I'm not sure he will take another job after a couple of health scares. Believe me, he's nowhere near the miserable SOB he's portrayed as and really knows the game.
Stay up- Rowett
Go down - Williamson

Just my opinion.
Good luck in the next 2 games.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just took a interested read of this, Hi Pilgrims BTW.
If you were, sadly, to go down (I think you won't), then Williamson would make sense, but not if you stay up. Hear me out.

We went for the young up and coming lower league Manager, when we had a decent buffer, which we have needed all of while he gets used to the Championship. Yes, we were starting to panic but it's turned out well, so far. With all possible respect, I don't think you would have that luxury, if you're at this level again so I would go for someone like Rowett, once Mowbray is back at Birmingham. He's a good Manager at this level and should be available.

If you did go down, you would have more than enough time for Williamson to settle and still be comfortable.

Another very good Manager, that would keep you up again is our Nige but I'm not sure he will take another job after a couple of health scares. Believe me, he's nowhere near the miserable SOB he's portrayed as and really knows the game.
Stay up- Rowett
Go down - Williamson

Just my opinion.
Good luck in the next 2 games.

I’d be really happy with Nigel Pearson. He’d be the ideal candidate to establish us as a mid table Championship club. I don’t think we’ll go for him though unfortunately, we’ll want someone ‘fresher’ and more ‘mouldable’.

Reactions: ciderup

ciderup

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Dec 16, 2009
I’d be really happy with Nigel Pearson. He’d be the ideal candidate to establish us as a mid table Championship club. I don’t think we’ll go for him though unfortunately, we’ll want someone ‘fresher’ and more ‘mouldable’.
Ballsy move but risky too.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Well it seems like you’ll be happy with about of 90% of names what gets mentioned ha ha

Reactions: Liam Vercoe

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
  • Haha
Reactions: ciderup
Feb 8, 2019
I wonder if we’d consider swooping for Erol Bulut? Cardiff seem to be taking their time offering him a new deal. It’s unlikely I know and I doubt he would consider it if we go down…

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006

I’m not so sure Cobi

We’ve had our fingers burned with Foster, I can see a McCann or Pearson ticking a few boxes as I’d imagine next season is very much steady the ship and then kick on, that said I wanted Mowbray before Foster and he didn’t get a mention so what do I know

Reactions: KJC and Cobi Budge

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I was hoping for a manager to be in place before the season ended, not so they could take charge as we have the two needed for that right now but so they could get to know the players we have, run the rule over them and speak to the group about where they see things next season regardless of which league we are in.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not so sure Cobi

We’ve had our fingers burned with Foster, I can see a McCann or Pearson ticking a few boxes as I’d imagine next season is very much steady the ship and then kick on, that said I wanted Mowbray before Foster and he didn’t get a mention so what do I know

Yep, Tony Mowbray was also my preference before Foster was appointed.

Reactions: Said old Green