Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 59 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
I was hoping for a manager to be in place before the season ended, not so they could take charge as we have the two needed for that right now but so they could get to know the players we have, run the rule over them and speak to the group about where they see things next season regardless of which league we are in.
Indeed, obviously SH knows what he is doing but lets not leave the appointment too late into the summer.. we need to do a lot of business in order to be competitive next season (same goes if we go down..).

There was an article in Plymouth Live last week with ND saying the search is underway but at the moment the main goal is survival. I think we all would like a announcement before end of season, but I’ve got a feeling this one might take a little bit longer

Sep 6, 2006
There was an article in Plymouth Live last week with ND saying the search is underway but at the moment the main goal is survival. I think we all would like a announcement before end of season, but I’ve got a feeling this one might take a little bit longer
They can hardly appoint a new manager before they know what division we're going to be in.

Reactions: Tavy Tony
Mar 23, 2008
I think Duff would be a good option

If , and I repeat if, we do stay up, I think its naive to think were going to be able to complete by playing shueys style of football, 'passing through the thirds'

We will have lost the post promotion momentum, and will need to mix it up, be more combatative and very quick on the break

We need a manager who can mix-it-up

We also need somebody who has completed their 'apprenticeship' at other clubs and has a record of success ( and preferably a failure too)

Were a championship club ( at least at the moment)- it's no place for a 'learner', no matter what that 'learner' has done as a coach

Appointing a fresh rider to ride their first rodeo ? ( like foster)That to me seems like madness....

And isnt one of the definitions of madness - doing the same thing twice, and expecting a different result ?

Duff, or somebody very similar to duff - but not necessarily from the UK, please....
I agree, I don't think we should be obsessed with silky football. A front foot manager who plays positive football, doesn't need to be Pep mk2 but purposeful, especially at home.
I was very impressed with his Barnsley team and he outwitted Schuey when Swansea best us 3-1, after we had gone a goal up.
Other than that, hoping we do explore options from beyond these shores. Although that could be a riskier option.

Nov 18, 2011
McCann is clearly on a good run right now but he has been in charge of Doncaster all season and they were third bottom of League 2 at the beginning of February.

Reactions: Drake
Feb 10, 2024
Few interesting name, most of which would have been mentioned already no doubt..

Des Buckingham
Michael Skubala
Tiernan Lynch
Michael Goodwin
Nickolas Usai
Luis Carrion

Wouldn't mind any of these being considered
I think Ruben Selles Darren Ferguson & Dick Schroeder be gd choices too

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
McCann is clearly on a good run right now but he has been in charge of Doncaster all season and they were third bottom of League 2 at the beginning of February.
If you look into it had around 15 injuries around then got a new medical team in and the injuries cleared up although they still have some
Injuries can effect anyone if you can't use your squad you are unlikely to succeed

Reactions: Greendawe
Nov 18, 2011
It doesn't matter where you are beginning of February. As we may well find out next week.
Imagine if he's in charge of Argyle next season and we're third bottom at February. I think nearly every fan would be calling for his head, no matter how many injuries the squad has had.

He's fortunate that he had a patient chairman who stuck with him.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
They can hardly appoint a new manager before they know what division we're going to be in.
Well they could, if the manager incoming doesn't mind which division we are in, if they are the correct fit and can get the opportunity to view the current squad before the season ends it would be an advantage rather than being at the end of the season when they have all gone on holiday.

Sep 6, 2006
Well they could, if the manager incoming doesn't mind which division we are in, if they are the correct fit and can get the opportunity to view the current squad before the season ends it would be an advantage rather than being at the end of the season when they have all gone on holiday.
Seeing as we wouldnt even know how much we could pay him it's highly unlikely realistically isn't it? Deswnip and Nance can feedback re the squad deficiences.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m a bit confused by the clamour from some for Ruben Selles, I don’t deny he’s doing an OK job at Reading under trying circumstances, but does being involved in a L1 relegation battle qualify him for a Championship gig? If we’re going to poach a manager I’d prefer us to poach someone fighting at the top end of the league they’re in.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Seeing as we wouldnt even know how much we could pay him it's highly unlikely realistically isn't it? Deswnip and Nance can feedback re the squad deficiences.
Good point, thank you 😊

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I’m a bit confused by the clamour from some for Ruben Selles, I don’t deny he’s doing an OK job at Reading under trying circumstances, but does being involved in a L1 relegation battle qualify him for a Championship gig? If we’re going to poach a manager I’d prefer us to poach someone fighting at the top end of the league they’re in.

Yep, it's like Wayne Rooney syndrome, where simply putting out a competitive team under difficult circumstances is (probably rightly) seen as a big achievement and the expectations are incredibly low.

The Argyle job would be a totally different environment.

Timeout

Jade Berrow 23/24
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
I'm sure he has been suggested already but Rohl at Wednesday has done an amazing job. Should they fall short and get relegated would he want to stay with them in league one? They have financial issues too don't they? He surely wouldn't be out of our league in terms of possibility?!? Better ownership and here and he may feel he has proved himself in the championship to not go lower.

Seems odd to suggest someone who may well get relegated but his experiences with Wednesday this season, getting a full pre season in and not being cut adrift like when he took over at Wednesday could work out for us. Also if he does go down with Wednesday are any of the big fish in the championship really going to come in for him???!!

Jan 6, 2004
I think a move from Wednesday to us would be seen as a step down for him, even if they are relegated and we are not. If he does not want to stay with Wednesday I think he will get more lucrative offers from bigger clubs than us.

Reactions: Said old Green