Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 95 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 83 21.4%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 48 12.4%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 38 9.8%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 13.7%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 55 14.2%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters
May 22, 2006
Thought given the January signings and loaness that Rosenior had at Hull, they under achieved in not getting into the playoffs. Hull invested a lot and did not get a return. With the loanees gone they will have a big rebuild job on for next season.

Not convinced that he is the man for us.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2005
Surrey

“Ultimately, just two home wins in 2024 and eight wins in 22 since New Year’s Day, saw City miss out on a play-off place and Rosenior has paid the price with his job after 78 matches in charge. In those 78 games, Rosenior won 27, drew 28 and lost 23, averaging 1.4 points per game.”

Without knowing much about their season, possibly could be argued that they underachieved with the players they have?

Reactions: green pants

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Interesting post jon and I think we will have to agree to disagree on this

Some strange arguments in their, respectfully- using cappello and Hodgson as examples to infer that experienced people may be likely to fail, or ( later in your post) will think that they know everything

Experience should help us to become better sons,fathers, friends, husbands, lovers...you name it...to suggest this doesnt also apply to football managers seems highly counterintuitive

Of course with many polar arguments the truth may lie somewhere in the middle - and in this case that would be to have an experienced ( humble not conceited) manager at the head , who is open to new ideas, working in tandem with a coach with lots of new ideas

Why might this not happen ? Part of me thinks that Argyle might view an experienced coach as a threat in some way.Somebody who might pose difficult questions

From the 'mood music' from posts on pasoti today I very much fear that Argyle are about to make the same mistake for a second time...and when they need experience later in the season , they'll find it isnt there....and although we got away with it last time (just), I dont think we will do for a second time...

I send my best wishes jon - it's been good debating with you, but now unfortunately must sign off for the day..
I don't know any other ways to say that I don't think experience is irrelevant, it's just not the only thing that matters or even the most important thing. Aptitude and ability are far more important.

I'm not saying experienced people are likely to fail, just that some experienced people have failed. I don't make predictions about things of which I have no knowledge. I'm also not saying that all experienced people think they know everything, I just have a feeling someone like a former promotion winning Argyle manager who recenlty claimed he was happy to help Argyle stay up if they asked would be as flexible as an iron bar.

Another factor is the cost, there's no getting away from the fact pedigree is more expensive than we can probably afford.

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
I know his dad played for Torquay so would I be right in saying he lived/ grew up in Devon, at least for a while?

He ticks a lot of boxes.

What was the reason for his sacking?

Liam was at Bristol City aged 18 when his dad got the Torquay job in 2002.

Liam did go to Torquay on loan in 2004 playing for his Dad 10 times acccording to Wiki.

Oct 19, 2021
“Ultimately, just two home wins in 2024 and eight wins in 22 since New Year’s Day, saw City miss out on a play-off place and Rosenior has paid the price with his job after 78 matches in charge. In those 78 games, Rosenior won 27, drew 28 and lost 23, averaging 1.4 points per game.”

Without knowing much about their season, possibly could be argued that they underachieved with the players they have?
Yes, I think there is a feeling (obviously shared by the Hull owner) that they should have got to the playoffs with that squad.

That said, he does tick an awful lot of boxes: experience in the Championship, young, articulate, seems like a thoroughly nice chap, knows the area and likes his side to play good football. Whether he would be interested in going from the comparative riches of Hull to a side with very limited money to spend is questionable though.

Reactions: Drake and Mitch
Jan 2, 2024
Rosenior is a no brainier for me , free agent , fits our profile and I’m convinced would keep us in the Championship comfortably .must be interviewed at least .

Reactions: Said old Green