Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 112 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 84 21.1%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 51 12.8%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 39 9.8%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 54 13.5%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Someone else

Votes: 57 14.3%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 48 12.0%

• Total voters
Oct 10, 2018
I agree with your first point, I think we do now need a manager with Championship experience to help us kick on. It’s why I like the idea of Rosenior because he has some experience at this level, but also ticks other boxes too.

I do disagree with your second point though. Argyle are trying desperately hard to be a club that is regarded as an excellent place to work, where people get treated with respect and are given the tools and time to perform. Building that sort of reputation really can give us a competitive advantage over many other clubs who have a hire and fire mentality. The Foster debacle will have done some damage to that hard built reputation but hopefully not over the longer term.

Totaĺy agree with all this, look at how likes Watford, Stoke, Sutherland and Qpr have struggled, constantly spending money and recklessly appointment and sacking managers, it is just self sabotage.

Oct 10, 2018
I think it is unlikely we appoint a Manager already in post elsewhere. Maybe a No2 with less compensation to be paid and the club allowing them to leave, to take the opportunity to step up to a Head Coach role with us.
An out of work Manager just like Liam Rosenoir a greater possibility, if he can be afforded.

Your point here pretty much matches SH view, he strongly suggested this in his his most rescent pod cast with Lyndhurst legal sponsors

Jul 29, 2012
I don't think the budget will be 'that' restricted tbh. We'll have more money to play with

The Hull chairman put £26m into the club last season and over the season there wage bill was top 10 if not top 6 . Ignoring funds from player sales , and without further investment, even if we put in all the extra tv money into wages the wage bill is likely to be less than £12m and be bottom 6 . The season just finished a mid table team is likely to be spending around £14M on player wages and with the extra tv money for next season that may well increase to say £16M .

Oct 10, 2018
A good comparison in many ways. It goes to show every appointment is a risk, there are no guarantees.
Exactly any management appointment has its risks, its why personality and how that fits in with players, club direction is so important get that wrong and you have the Foster effect. Argyle won't rush this especially, especially as it's not just a head coach that will be recruited but at least one if not two additional coaches.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
The Hull chairman put £26m into the club last season and over the season there wage bill was top 10 if not top 6 . Ignoring funds from player sales , and without further investment, even if we put in all the extra tv money into wages the wage bill is likely to be less than £12m and be bottom 6 . The season just finished a mid table team is likely to be spending around £14M on player wages and with the extra tv money for next season that may well increase to say £16M .
Ok I'll rephrase - our budget won't be 'that' bad and will better than last season. It won't be anywhere near Hull's of course

RB00194

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 8, 2024
So what you are saying is McKenna has only got them promoted because he had lots of money to spend
Yes, thats exactly what I am saying. What I am saying is that KM had 3x the amount of money in League 1 compared to Argyle and built a championship standard team in L1 that would gel to get through the league one season to get promoted. They then went on to add a couple of players to push for the promotion to the Premiership. KM haD millions and millions thrown at the project and it paid off. He's not an amazing coach. The only true proper coach in the Championship this season, who finished well above where they were expected to finish whilst having a limited budget was LR, Ryan Lowe, and Wagner.

Jul 29, 2012
Your point here pretty much matches SH view, he strongly suggested this in his his most rescent pod cast with Lyndhurst legal sponsors

Agreed- it would need an exceptional candidate to take from another club although we did that last time !

While stating that the process would be the same , SH also stated that greater emphasis would be placed on fan communication and man management skills . LR has received praise for both . He does seem to tick all of the boxes .