Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 113 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 84 21.2%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 50 12.6%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 39 9.8%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 57 14.4%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 48 12.1%

• Total voters

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yes, thats exactly what I am saying. What I am saying is that KM had 3x the amount of money in League 1 compared to Argyle and built a championship standard team in L1 that would gel to get through the league one season to get promoted. They then went on to add a couple of players to push for the promotion to the Premiership. KM haD millions and millions thrown at the project and it paid off. He's not an amazing coach. The only true proper coach in the Championship this season, who finished well above where they were expected to finish whilst having a limited budget was LR, Ryan Lowe, and Wagner.
I know some of these figures are estimates but it doesn't match up with what you are claiming as far as McKenna and Wagner go.Screenshot_2024-05-09-00-03-26-15_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
I think we need to tether our expectations to a degree. Whoever we get in will need to be given time. IF was, however once rumours of unrest circulated he was ousted quickly. If LR does take over, I feel both parties will respect the situations that both are in. He still needs to prove himself for one, and we need to prove our recruitment model works. LR ticks many boxes. More on paper than most others 'in contention ' for sure.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady
Jul 29, 2012
Yes, thats exactly what I am saying. What I am saying is that KM had 3x the amount of money in League 1 compared to Argyle and built a championship standard team in L1 that would gel to get through the league one season to get promoted. They then went on to add a couple of players to push for the promotion to the Premiership. KM haD millions and millions thrown at the project and it paid off. He's not an amazing coach. The only true proper coach in the Championship this season, who finished well above where they were expected to finish whilst having a limited budget was LR, Ryan Lowe, and Wagner.

Re McKenna - see below articles. Accepted their wages in L1 were 3 times ours but Ipswich have outperformed their wage position this year

LR did not have a limited budget - he had a top 10 budget and from January, top 6 .

Norwich received £30M parachute payment this year so they are top 6 in wages .

PNe budget was £15M so about right for where they finished .

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023
I think we need to tether our expectations to a degree. Whoever we get in will need to be given time. IF was, however once rumours of unrest circulated he was ousted quickly. If LR does take over, I feel both parties will respect the situations that both are in. He still needs to prove himself for one, and we need to prove our recruitment model works. LR ticks many boxes. More on paper than most others 'in contention ' for sure.
But we don't know who the others are that are "in contention". The majority on the vote list above certainly aren't

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Seems totally bizarre that people are so keen to get Rosenior in when he is known to play the same defensive, slow build up style of football that we took so vehemently against with Foster.
Hull didn't play defensive football in either game against us. And their stats do not reflect that of a defensive team either

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
I think Liam Rosenior has become an overwhleming favourite to become Argyle's next Head Coach not so much for what he has achieved but the person he is and how he would fit into the 'One Argyle' approach that so underpins our club from top to bottom. Would we be persuaded by someone who managed only 12 times in League One before appointing him as your manager in the Championship - probably not. Rosenior's unique attachment to Hull City persuded the club to take the risk on him. Risk is what it was and he achieved an improvement, if not always the style of play, that would have satisfied most owners.

When you look at taking risks on appointing Head Coaches who have not managed before the top three divisons have been won by clubs who took the risk their appointment of a Head Coach - Arteta, Maresco (apart from six months) and Mousinho. Then you add McKenna who achieved back to back promotions into the Premiership. Rohl achieved miracles in his first managerial job. Neil and Nance had only a handful games of Championship managerial experience in securing Argyle's survival.

Given the 'Foster experience' it is inevitable that attenion is drawn to the requirement to appoint someone with experience of managing in the Championship. Inevitably that will mean appointing someone who has failed at a Championship club unless we pay compensation for someone in a current job who hasn't. We could go for up and coming League One / Two managers on the basis that they have managed and not been an assistant coach. Would any of them have the skills to manage in the second tier?

The irony is that Ian Foster did have managerial experience. He got a first tier club in Ireland to their Cup Final and into Europe over 96 games. Sometimes managerial experience is not an absolute prequisite. Foster went wrong horribly because he tipped upside down the 'One Argyle' formula and lack the communication and motivationsl skills to implement his adverse ideas.

Change offers the temptation is often to react in an opposite direction. The clamour of some undermines that approach when in truth the best person for the job is the one that fits 'One Argyle' and not someone who wants to mould it into something else. That may mean taking a risk on someone with no managerial experience. I think the key is to ensure the appointment comes with an experienced No.2. Rohl notably appointed Chris Powell and Schuey appointed Keith Downing.

Liam Rosenior remains our best fit. If he is understandably tempted elsewhere we should not shut our eyes to the best of coaches even if they have no managerial experience. That is unless we are prepared to pay to take someone else from a club - something that Simon understandably seems reluctant to do.

Apr 30, 2011
Seems totally bizarre that people are so keen to get Rosenior in when he is known to play the same defensive, slow build up style of football that we took so vehemently against with Foster.
It is a valid point but there are other narratives and statistics that suggest that the football isn't as flat as IF served up. The main narrative for the theory behind his football not being attacking enough is from the Chairman that sacked him, 4 months after giving him a new 3 year contract. Which gives an indication of the validity of his opinions.

Reactions: jimsing

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
They were among the lowest scorers in the top half of the table and out performed their xG by more than 10 goals - which is significant and suggests they didn't create a ton of good chances. They home form was also poor for a playoff chasing side - they won fewer home matches than relegated Birmingham.

I'm not saying Rosenior wouldn't be a good pick, just that we may need to consider if his style of play matches our club philosophy. On that note, it might be time to review that philosophy anyway - is it even possible to play attacking football on a Lidl budget? We managed it for half a season before the vultures started circling and that'll keep happening until Simon finds an investor with deep pocket.

Maybe the philosophy LR was trying to implement at Hull is exactly what we need to establish ourselves in this division.
Couple of very good points raised in this, interesting about the xG and in particular about what we can / should expect in terms of style.

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
Spending only for myself here, but I suspect part of that is because he comes across well. Even before his sacking happened I’ve always been impressed with how he puts himself across, seems progressive, articulate and I thought he did a good job at Derby in very tough circumstances.

But yes your point is a fair and very valid one, but that’s where I am with it.