Who? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Ottawa Green":3vnzecc1 said:
JOHNNY WILLIAMS
In the era that Johnny played it would have been a real job to take the ball off Wilf Carter, who had a phenomenal record from the spot. When Carter didn't play it was John Newman who stepped up. During his career Wilf scored over 20 for Argyle and one for WBA. Of the three he missed, two came from the same game against Bournemouth! Johnny Williams took and scored only one for Argyle, the season after Wilf had gone. However, while he was at Bristol Rovers he netted 5 from the spot. So, for me it has to be Wilf Carter, one of the penalty kings in our entire history.

C

Cult Of Personality

Wotton . Did not really rate him as a player especially as a midfielder much better centre half . But boy could he take a set piece and he would not fanny around with it. It would rocket in

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Has to be Wotton with his record followed by Gallagher.

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011
It’s got to be Paul Wotton for me followed by Reuben Reid

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
IJN":3i3gydfz said:
Remember Garita's at Newport????? :facepalm:

If I remember right he took it off of Carey as well. Good job he didn't have the next one!

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Have to agree with memory man. It can only be the one and only Wilf Carter. Many are the times I recall seeing Jimmy Gauld dive, be given a penalty, and Wilf Carter step up to take it!

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Wotton for me - no elegance just pure power and fear from the goalkeeper.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Wotton all day long.

Jan 29, 2010
Wotton without a doubt although Argyle would still find a way to concede two in time added on after taking the lead.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
memory man":2qriiw6e said:
Ottawa Green":2qriiw6e said:
JOHNNY WILLIAMS
In the era that Johnny played it would have been a real job to take the ball off Wilf Carter, who had a phenomenal record from the spot. When Carter didn't play it was John Newman who stepped up. During his career Wilf scored over 20 for Argyle and one for WBA. Of the three he missed, two came from the same game against Bournemouth! Johnny Williams took and scored only one for Argyle, the season after Wilf had gone. However, while he was at Bristol Rovers he netted 5 from the spot. So, for me it has to be Wilf Carter, one of the penalty kings in our entire history.
Memory Man you’ve just made an old fan very happy :scarf:

Jan 11, 2016
Understandably lots of support for Paul Wotton but I'm wondering if he ever scored a real pressure penalty - I remember a last minute score against Burnley in Dec 2004 to win the game in the first season back in the Championship but if he'd missed it was a still a point gained in a tight match. I'm ready to stand corrected here if anyone can recall a crucial strike.

On the other hand take Graham Carey's 90+1 penalty to win the game against Rotherham in April 2018 to keep alive Argyle's play-off chances which otherwise would have evaporated. A nerveless effort in to the top corner. Just terrific!

I can imagine Wotton doing a John Terry in the Champions League final against Man Utd.

All irrelevant of course because if you're of a certain age it's just got to be Wilf Carter.