Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay?

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
Excretia as a city is pretty nice in places (not as nice as Plymouth but where is) and to be honest their fans don't deserve somewhere like that.

I see Excretia fans living somewhere like Stoke or Kidderminster...bland, boring and ultimately tedious. We will always be better than them, it's one of the few things I can say with certainty in football.

Edit to add: Corby also!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020
as said earlier in the thread exeter are very much a model club for lower league clubs everywhere. i have no dislike of them at all, as most of my friend dont so to say the hatred is unanimous is non sense.

my take on this is that as we are so geographically removed we actually have no local derby or rivalry other than exeter, so it is contrived to create a rival. Bristol City and Pompey do not see us as a local derby or rival at all.

Oct 31, 2015
I actually think Excretia as a club are to be put on pedestal for what they do and how they do it.

Their community and academy work really is very good and look what money their academy has bought into their bank account.👏👏👏

As for the Chinos who support them. Less said the better and I've been following Argyle since the early 80s. The City up the A38 has always looked down on our city.

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I don't hate Exeter.

The only teams I dislike are those that are perpetually at the top of the Premiership, hoovering up all the attention, plastic fans and money. Exeter are a model club, fan owned. Not sure what there is to hate.
Totally agree. A well run club up the road , who's supporters at least follow their local team & not the Premiership gravy train....I've never got this visceral hatred between local teams.

Dec 20, 2022
I don't recall Exeter being any consequence to us until the 90's, Alan Ball and that bloody game. For the next few years there was a bit of needle but for me any resentment was more due to having to play them in the first place and desire to shut them up. Whenever we aren't in the same league I barely think about them and generally wish them well whenever i can be bothered.

Torquay don't have the same chip on their shoulder.

Jul 16, 2023
I don't hate Exeter tbh. We played them on a regular basis following our period of decline, however our natural level has always been a step or two above them in the pyramid.
Unfortunately they seem to believe that they are better than us despite there being scant evidence to prove it. Their average attendance is 6.8k which also suggests that they are a much smaller club than us. I'd say that L2 is their natural level.
I will compliment their academy however.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No GF we've always hated Exeter and I've been going since the mid 70s (and on my own from early/mid 80s).

I certainly can't remember any antipathy towards ECFC in the 70s, I'm not sure they even appeared on our radar then.

As others have said, they only become an irritant when we hit rock bottom.

Decent little club though, just have a high percentage of fans that always seem to want to play being the victims.

Reactions: KJC

I Was There

♣️ North Devon Greens
Feb 2, 2022
When Argyle were deep in the doo doo after going into administration the last time we were in the Championship and looking likely to go out of business virtually every club, including all the top teams donated signed balls, shirts and loads of memorabilia for the club to auction off for much needed funds to help pay the staff. I say virtually every club Exeter just laughed at us and not only the fans, you expect that from them, but at the end of the season when they played Argyle at the end of the game over the tannoy they played “We’ll meet again don’t know where don’t know when” as our fans were leaving the ground and relegated.
If any Argyle fan says they don’t hate Exeter l would suspect they weren’t there that awful day.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I certainly can't remember any antipathy towards ECFC in the 70s, I'm not sure they even appeared on our radar then.

As others have said, they only become an irritant when we hit rock bottom.

Decent little club though, just have a high percentage of fans that always seem to want to play being the victims.
All Janners whether from the East or the West of Devon should just respect each other 😙

Reactions: Simone