Worst Ever Game | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Ever Game

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
Brighton 4 Argyle 0 - 22/02/11

Completely played off the park by a good Brighton team who would go up that season but that's not the main reason it was so bad.

It was at the Withdean which is possibly the worst stadium I've ever seen football at. You literally couldn't see half the pitch from the away end and had to guess what was happening from the reaction of the crowd.

The main reason it was so bad though was that we had taken a 10 point deduction the day before and things looked bad, really bad. We were in the process of getting in the administrators.

My overriding memory at the time was that this awful game of football may be the last time I ever see Argyle.

The only positive was all the messages of support from the Brighton fans and also over the tannoy.
god what an aweful thought that mustve been, that that couldve been the last game.

I'd forgotten all about going to the Withdean, but its all come flooding back now. I think I saw us there in 2000. Probably the worst ground i've been to.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Blimey, this is a challenge !

Any game where we stood in the rain with no cover and lost (eg Newport, Brighton, etc). ( "x nil and you're soaking wet" being chanted at us).

Then there is Macclesfield away, Wigan away, Scunthorpe away, Carlisle away, soooo many !

Reactions: Wexford Green

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Papa Johns final last year. Such a let down. I never leave games early but I felt like it that day.
Also, vague bad memories of loosing at Worcester City in the cup in the Silkman days being a shocker too.🤣
Yes, both of those!

I had forgotten standing on a side terrace at Worcester in 1978 and then my car breaking down on the way back to digs in Stoke-on-Trent. The CBT must have worked...

Dunkeld Green

✅ Evergreen
Jan 4, 2006
Inver, Dunkeld
For me it was the 26th of October 2019 and the total humiliation at St James Park losing 4-0 and actually thinking it should have been so many more all but the poor performance by their strikers in front of goal.
At that time Ryan Lowe just did not understand the rivalry and what it meant to the Green Army.

Reactions: Floyd Pepper
Yep, this one… Only I think it was the dark green & black stripe kit.
Swan was playing too if memory serves me right.

“I ‘ad a wheelbarrow the front wheel went round….”

Shocking performance.
Yep, the wheelbarrow song came out, that was always a sign of a bad day 😂

Just found some grainy footage online, you're right, we had the green & black striped shirt, with the away shorts, which were a different shade of green & didn't match - it looked honking!

If I recall, it was Shilton's last game before Steve McCall stepped in as caretaker manager.

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
I'll have to consult greens on screen, but i think it was 1998 or 1999 away to Wycombe. We lost 5-1 i think. I think I'm right in remembering that we had a player sent off after 10 mins. Miraculously it was 1-1 at half time, Corazzin scoring. Then we just fell off a cliff second half.

Awful. Hate that ground.

Dec 29, 2011
Too many to mention.York(2.0) 2013,Scarborough(3.0) 1999.5.0 defeat at Chelsea where Argyle did not have a shot of any description.4.0 home defeat to Swindon where Duncan Shearer got all 4 and a 5.2 defeat at Cheltenham (You are not fit to wear the shirt definitely got an airing that day)spring to mind .Also a 3.0 defeat at Colchester in the Ryan Lowe days(we were shocking first half)and a 4.0 midweek defeat at Burnley(Burnley's first win for 20 or so games I believe and Ebanks-Blake missed a penalty)

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Agreed. This was on my longer list. Yet again I’d rounded up some mates to come with me and it was just SUCH a let down.

There were some games under Mick Jones in the late 90s that I remember being bad but they just sort of blurred together, in front of crowds of 4-5k.

My weirdest one was against Swansea, 2001. The day the twin towers were hit. Nicky Banger playing. Less than 4,000 there. It was a sort of funeral-like atmosphere, exacerbated by the fact that there was no horseshoe, just rubble. It felt weirdly symbolic and I’ve never forgotten it.

I remember wanting to be around other people and then feeling guilty as this tragedy had happened over in NYC and we were all trying to work it out.

…….Anyway back to the main point of the thread. The WORST!

Christ man, stop inviting your mates please!

llcoolgee

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 10, 2011
Melbourne
Arsenal, league cup, when they pumped us 6-1 at Home Park. I had to go in the away end as I played junior & Sunday league football for Bath Arsenal. As such, I went down with a load of Arsenal fans that i played with and could only get a ticket in the BPE. The footage, on Youtube shows me looking thoroughly depressed with it all. Even, funnier, at the end of the season, the Arsenal fans, that I went with, attended their end of season awards in London and there was footage of me flicking the bird to their camera, when one of the many goals went in.

Reactions: smudja

Kiwi Jim

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Apr 10, 2022
Ohakune, New Zealand
17th December 1994.
Brentford 7 Argyle 0

Just a woeful display. A mix up with the kit meant we came out looking like a pub team (green shirts, yellow shorts if I recall), then proceeded to play like one. Couldn't string a pass together, no effort, no enthusiasm & we made Brentford look like Brazil.
Probably the lowest moment in my years of following.
Yeah, I’ve got bad memories of that game and the home game against them too where we got trounced too. I was at uni at the time and one of my housemates was a Bees supporter. He managed to get a hold of my argyle shirt and pinned it above the toilet with a big arrow pointing down to a giant dump in the toilet.

Aug 6, 2023
Still haven't "come down" from the feeling of relief and joy at the end of Saturday's game. Have watched the goal on loop countless times and well up every time. Don't want to spoil it by thinking of any bad games at the moment.