Worst Ever Game | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Ever Game

Mar 23, 2008
Losing away to Torquay when in admin. No disrespect to them but that was a real low point, they had a tidy team and you felt would win and did so 3-1 but it could have been more.
We were rudderless at the time and was a horrible feeling.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Brighton 4 Argyle 0 - 22/02/11

Completely played off the park by a good Brighton team who would go up that season but that's not the main reason it was so bad.

It was at the Withdean which is possibly the worst stadium I've ever seen football at. You literally couldn't see half the pitch from the away end and had to guess what was happening from the reaction of the crowd.

The main reason it was so bad though was that we had taken a 10 point deduction the day before and things looked bad, really bad. We were in the process of getting in the administrators.

My overriding memory at the time was that this awful game of football may be the last time I ever see Argyle.

The only positive was all the messages of support from the Brighton fans and also over the tannoy.

Unfortunately, I have to hold my hand up and say I was there too. To say it was like we were two divisions apart would have been generous. Have to say it was my worst ever matchday experience.

There was also the 5-1 defeat against Oxford at the Kassam (the following season I think). We fielded a bunch of kids and it really was men against boys.

Also remember a 0-4 home defeat vs Bristol Rovers in 1982. Only 3500 there (thanks GoS) and memorable for a chap throwing his scarf to me as he walked out in disgust near the end.

Worst ever post match feeling though - and it’s been discussed many times - remains the 4-3 defeat at Reading.

Reactions: Mark58

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
Most games sitting on the bleak away end Gillingham scaffold for many years. We never won until the most recent match. The one of those which qualifies as the worst was when we were I think 4-0 down and thick fog moved in. We all chanted 'Call it off' but it didn't work.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
17th December 1994.
Brentford 7 Argyle 0

Just a woeful display. A mix up with the kit meant we came out looking like a pub team (green shirts, yellow shorts if I recall), then proceeded to play like one. Couldn't string a pass together, no effort, no enthusiasm & we made Brentford look like Brazil.
Probably the lowest moment in my years of following.
100% agree. Remember Sam Shilton coming on and he looked about 12 years old. Never seen such a woeful Argyle team as that day.

Reactions: Floyd Pepper
Losing away to Torquay when in admin. No disrespect to them but that was a real low point, they had a tidy team and you felt would win and did so 3-1 but it could have been more.
We were rudderless at the time and was a horrible feeling.
You just beat me to it Deacster. My son and I spent the journey home considering what games in the National League we would make the effort to travel to, we were so convinced that relegation was inevitable.

olive green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
Away to Accrington Stanley on 27 April 2019, in the rain. Lost 5-1 and effectively got relegated in what was the penultimate match of the season. Adams was finally sacked, and we went down on (3) goal difference to Wimbledon after winning the last match of the season. 3 goals worse off than Wimbledon, so the -4 at Accrington was the difference..

Reactions: Lyndhurst Road End

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
17th December 1994.
Brentford 7 Argyle 0

Just a woeful display. A mix up with the kit meant we came out looking like a pub team (green shirts, yellow shorts if I recall), then proceeded to play like one. Couldn't string a pass together, no effort, no enthusiasm & we made Brentford look like Brazil.
Probably the lowest moment in my years of following.
This was at the height of Peter Shilton's, er, fiscal turbulence and got a mention on Fantasy Football, in which Argyle were described as having gone on a sponsored concede-a-goal-a-thon!

Last edited:

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Away to Accrington Stanley on 27 April 2019, in the rain. Lost 5-1 and effectively got relegated in what was the penultimate match of the season. Adams was finally sacked, and we went down on (3) goal difference to Wimbledon after winning the last match of the season. 3 goals worse off than Wimbledon, so the -4 at Accrington was the difference..
For me, this is hopefully the worst Argyle game any of us will ever be at. Even the free drink for making the long journey (some of us went all the way from Bolton!) wasn't enough to lift the spirits.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Wow, i've broken out in hives recalling some of the truly stomach churning lows.
Away at Sincil Bank Feb 2000, it was baltic, we were truly woeful (lost 3-0 could have been 9) and worst of all, they used to have an air-raid siren they played every time they got a corner, it seemed to be going the whole bloody game.
Having taken a mate to that game and told him we cant possibly be as bad again, i took him to Underhill a month later, it was warmer, but alot wetter, we were equally inept and lost 2-0, probably in front of about 1800 i truly wondered what would become of us.
I think those two are the worst as the opposition, crowd and conditions just made it a thoroughly depressing experience. I've seen us humped at numerous grounds, Palace, Millwall, Gillingham etc etc - but there has always been a tale to tell, Wright & Bright, Cascarino, Sheringham with goals, but those Lincoln & Barnet games were defeats to truly awful sides and we weren't able to lay a glove on either

Reactions: Cousin Pavlos
Sep 7, 2006
London
Brighton 4 Argyle 0 - 22/02/11

Completely played off the park by a good Brighton team who would go up that season but that's not the main reason it was so bad.

It was at the Withdean which is possibly the worst stadium I've ever seen football at. You literally couldn't see half the pitch from the away end and had to guess what was happening from the reaction of the crowd.

The main reason it was so bad though was that we had taken a 10 point deduction the day before and things looked bad, really bad. We were in the process of getting in the administrators.

My overriding memory at the time was that this awful game of football may be the last time I ever see Argyle.

The only positive was all the messages of support from the Brighton fans and also over the tannoy.
:ROFLMAO: Was at this one. Young and brazen enough to sneak a hipflask in, so thankfully barely remember it!

Feb 24, 2008
I was in the Boardroom when we drew 0-0 at Dagenham. They absolutely pummelled us, their Directors were almost annoyed at how luck we were. It could have 4/5 - 0 yo them! 😀

My worst game was at Oxford we lost 0-2 to an Oxford team that were very poor themselves. 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' was sung that day.

To make things worse Mackie scored the first and he celebrated like mad. I never liked him before but i definitely didn't after. Then Curtis Nelson got the second, what a day eh?
And Dagenham beat us under Adams at home the week after they were relegated out of the league. 3 up at 1/2 time. Finished 2 3.
My lad was a mascot

Reactions: Madford
Feb 24, 2008
Yep, the players downed tools as soon as the 1st goal went in.