Worst Ever Game | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Ever Game

Nov 18, 2011
And Dagenham beat us under Adams at home the week after they were relegated out of the league. 3 up at 1/2 time. Finished 2 3.
My lad was a mascot
Also at this game, had brought some mates along and was on the beers looking forward to a rampant Argyle victory.

FFS

Going by this thread, never bring neutral friends along to an Argyle game!

Reactions: GU7Green

llcoolgee

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 10, 2011
Melbourne
Dec 4, 2011

Mon, 24 April 2000​

Division Three​

Leyton Orient 3 - 0 Argyle
It was my first ever away trip outside of Devon and I travelled up with two school friends. I remember it not feeling right that the squad were leaving at the same time as us, why weren't they in a hotel?

We got to the ground and the noise and numbers of the Green Army really made an impression on me. We still had a chance of the play offs but were dreadful and showed nothing. We sang constantly and I remember everyone joining in with "We're s**t and we know we are" with real passion.

After the game I remember Paul McGregor turning around to us and shrugging his shoulders as if to say "sorry". I remember Chris Errington's match report was very complimentary about the Green Army but very scathing of the team.

subbuteo

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 12, 2009
The home play off game against Burnley and we got a trouncing 7 0 away at Fulham.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Another vote for the Chelsea 5-0 at the Bridge in the late 80s/early 90s. 4-0 after half an hour. We were cheering goal kicks by the end.
West Ham away under Williamson - another 5-0 defeat. Bjarni Gudjonsson gave away a penalty for handball after about ten minutes and the wheels came off.
Fulham away 4-0 in 96, not long before Wembley. Did we have a shot?

There seems to be a pattern here....

Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow

Mon, 24 April 2000​

Division Three​

Leyton Orient 3 - 0 Argyle
It was my first ever away trip outside of Devon and I travelled up with two school friends. I remember it not feeling right that the squad were leaving at the same time as us, why weren't they in a hotel?

We got to the ground and the noise and numbers of the Green Army really made an impression on me. We still had a chance of the play offs but were dreadful and showed nothing. We sang constantly and I remember everyone joining in with "We're s**t and we know we are" with real passion.

After the game I remember Paul McGregor turning around to us and shrugging his shoulders as if to say "sorry". I remember Chris Errington's match report was very complimentary about the Green Army but very scathing of the team.
Ohhh, we were bad that day. At least I'd only travelled from Bow.

Kiwi Jim

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Apr 10, 2022
Ohakune, New Zealand
95-96 promotion season - Hereford 3 Argyle 0. Horrible little away end stuck in the corner of the ground. Steve ‘Chalky’ White netting a hatrick. I’m sure Heathcote got stuck up front at some point during the game.

Another bad one for me was Argyle 1 - Peterborough 5 at the start of the 18-19 relegation season. It was my first game for 11 years after emigrating to NZ in 2007.

Reactions: Cousin Pavlos
Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow
Can't remember when exactly but a night of John Sheridan inspired joyless channel-hitting anti-football at Dagenham springs to mind. We might have lost 2-0 or it might just have been 1-0. Either way I think we were lucky to get nil. We were memorably devoid of any creativity, spark, organisation or charm.

Apr 30, 2006
Biggest let down was probably the play off defeat to Wimbledon.

But for me some of the most mundane defeats come to mind, as just the most depressing "why did I bother". Nothing exceptional about them but some have stuck in my mind.

The Tues night 1-0 defeat at Stevenage in March 2015 for instance (thanks to GoS for the date). A baltic night as I remember, traipsing through the depressing dark walk to the ground through faceless industrial estates, only to see us create nothing all night and have an equally depressing trip back home. Just something soul-killingly mundane and predictable about it.

Oct 31, 2015
For me it was a group of games in 94 I think.

3 home games (1st three of the season).
Brentford 1-5
Bradford 1-5
Huddersfield 0-3

With Peter Swan Joining and the season before losing out to Burnley in the play offs but doing v well in the league we were expecting promotion🤦Oh how reality hit after those 3 games.

Add into the mix the 2 Wembley disasters 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

Reactions: markcreeve
Jul 24, 2009
Wow, i've broken out in hives recalling some of the truly stomach churning lows.
Away at Sincil Bank Feb 2000, it was baltic, we were truly woeful (lost 3-0 could have been 9) and worst of all, they used to have an air-raid siren they played every time they got a corner, it seemed to be going the whole bloody game.
Having taken a mate to that game and told him we cant possibly be as bad again, i took him to Underhill a month later, it was warmer, but alot wetter, we were equally inept and lost 2-0, probably in front of about 1800 i truly wondered what would become of us.
I think those two are the worst as the opposition, crowd and conditions just made it a thoroughly depressing experience. I've seen us humped at numerous grounds, Palace, Millwall, Gillingham etc etc - but there has always been a tale to tell, Wright & Bright, Cascarino, Sheringham with goals, but those Lincoln & Barnet games were defeats to truly awful sides and we weren't able to lay a glove on either
Yes that 3.0 at Lincoln came to my mind, absolutely played off the park by a middling bottom tier team. Sadly it was not far off par for the course at the time, there were a string of away games like that with Kevin Hodges in charge, not entirely his fault mind given the chronic under investment. Luckily we weren't far off Paul Sturrock coming in and sorting us out.

Overall adding in the importance of the game probably Wembley v Wimbledon for me. Woeful abject performance.

May 22, 2006
Stourbridge in the FA Cup. Non league setting and like watching two non league teams. Seemed like the nadir of a really bad time.

Rovers in the Cup at Twerton was stupidly priced at £25 priced for 30 years ago. We got thrashed. I was chatting to Carl Saunders a few years ago bemoaning the experience and that he scored a hat trick. He grinned and reminded me he had scored four.

Reactions: pafc jack