Would you put Diagouraga in the team now ? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Would you put Diagouraga in the team now ?

Apr 4, 2015
He would definitely get in the team in front of ness on ability and I don't blame him for wanting to be nearer his family. For me he gets in the first 11 every time, I think we might just miss him and the playoffs at the end of the season and if he stayed we would've had a far better chance of getting in the top 6.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Some players coming in make a difference to the “team” in a way that far outweighs their actual football contribution on the pitch. Thinking of Kevin Godfrey coming in from Orient in 1986 and adding to the team spirit to Dave Smith’s team that, arguably, took us over the line to promotion to the second tier. Toums came in and our other midfield players, who up to that point seemed rather depressed, suddenly came to life. Thank you for that, and good luck wherever your next steps take you.

G

Greenskin

Shankster":kdjt9iym said:
He did a bit of a job, was one of the most ‘limited’ players I’ve ever witnessed at a professional level.

Used him, did a job, got shot of him

Superb example of management

Ah well there you have it-Bradley is crap and Toums limited.Well yes, he was limited to the extent that he didn't possess Ronaldo's ability to dribble at speed,Kane's strength and mobility,Baresi's ability to read the game,Hoddle's midfield vision etc etc.But it was obvious from his debut against Shrewsbury that the man brought a presence,confidence and composure to the team that was equally obviously missing before-you're talking about a player who made over 200 appearances at high level third/second tier level,which by definition would mean that he certainly isn't "one of the most limited players ever at professional level".Not sure how long you've been watching Argyle or by what criteria or standard you tend to judge players [he's no Souness or Coutinho,i'll give you that] but anyone who has seen some occupants of the Argyle engine house will confirm that Tounami was most certainly not among the worst of them.Not sure either that DA was executing superb management in seeing him disappear up the road- judging by his comments later about players moving to clubs playing in front of 3000 rather than 12000,monetary reasons were the main motive rather than any wish on Adams part to see him go.

Jan 6, 2004
Southampton Green":i9ykwl1z said:
Some players coming in make a difference to the “team” in a way that far outweighs their actual football contribution on the pitch. Thinking of Kevin Godfrey coming in from Orient in 1986 and adding to the team spirit to Dave Smith’s team that, arguably, took us over the line to promotion to the second tier. Toums came in and our other midfield players, who up to that point seemed rather depressed, suddenly came to life. Thank you for that, and good luck wherever your next steps take you.

Kevin Godfrey?? If there was an arrival that season that got us over the line it was a certain Tommy Tynan

G

Greenskin

Green_Flash":xehnx5c9 said:
Southampton Green":xehnx5c9 said:

Kevin Godfrey?? If there was an arrival that season that got us over the line it was a certain Tommy Tynan

Tynan was the icing on the cake but Argyle's 9 match winning run had started long before he came back and was indeed inspired by the arrival of Godfrey.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Greenskin":kb7nn8li said:
Green_Flash":kb7nn8li said:
Southampton Green":kb7nn8li said:

Tynan was the icing on the cake but Argyle's 9 match winning run had started long before he came back and was indeed inspired by the arrival of Godfrey.

Both went on to be successful taxi drivers!!
Do you think Alexis Sanchez will end up driving a taxi? :facepalm:

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Green_Flash":3n9jf1xs said:
Southampton Green":3n9jf1xs said:

I am not comparing Toums to Tommy Tynan, there’s no comparison there. A Tuesday night and a Rotherham player coming on to play against Rotherham at Home Park (and scoring) was just a real “we are Argyle” moment. Toums impact at Argyle seems similar in some ways to Kevin Godrey’s impact, that’s all I am saying. We are still waiting for the new Tommy Tynan.

G

Greenskin

Pogleswoody":31tq6ern said:
Greenskin":31tq6ern said:
Green_Flash":31tq6ern said:
Southampton Green":31tq6ern said:

Both went on to be successful taxi drivers!!
Do you think Alexis Sanchez will end up driving a taxi? :facepalm:

Akexis is sure to be the new Bernie Barnes [God rest his soul].

Oct 16, 2016
Greenskin":1lwy2lyt said:
Shankster":1lwy2lyt said:
He did a bit of a job, was one of the most ‘limited’ players I’ve ever witnessed at a professional level.

Used him, did a job, got shot of him

Superb example of management

Ah well there you have it-Bradley is crap and Toums limited.Well yes, he was limited to the extent that he didn't possess Ronaldo's ability to dribble at speed,Kane's strength and mobility,Baresi's ability to read the game,Hoddle's midfield vision etc etc.But it was obvious from his debut against Shrewsbury that the man brought a presence,confidence and composure to the team that was equally obviously missing before-you're talking about a player who made over 200 appearances at high level third/second tier level,which by definition would mean that he certainly isn't "one of the most limited players ever at professional level".Not sure how long you've been watching Argyle or by what criteria or standard you tend to judge players [he's no Souness or Coutinho,i'll give you that] but anyone who has seen some occupants of the Argyle engine house will confirm that Tounami was most certainly not among the worst of them.Not sure either that DA was executing superb management in seeing him disappear up the road- judging by his comments later about players moving to clubs playing in front of 3000 rather than 12000,monetary reasons were the main motive rather than any wish on Adams part to see him go.

Good response, I respect your opinion

Opinions are exactly that

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Green83":3abeuugt said:
Argyle-sy":3abeuugt said:
... but he used us as a stepping stone and that is not the kind of player I would want to see back in an Argyle shirt...

Simon Church?

I would say the same about Church if the same thing happens, there again I stated my displeasure at the time regarding signing a player who chose a wee club in a wee northern shithole over us, so my opinion would be the same with Church if he used us to get fit and then moved on. Granted Scunny were above us in the table, but they are a small club with a small fan base and small attendances, much the same with Toums I would have rather gone to a decent sized club by first division standards, playing in front of above average crowds.

Jul 2, 2014
freddie2greens":qpj566o4 said:
He would definitely get in the team in front of ness on ability and I don't blame him for wanting to be nearer his family. For me he gets in the first 11 every time, I think we might just miss him and the playoffs at the end of the season and if he stayed we would've had a far better chance of getting in the top 6.
I don’t known if he would be a lock ahead of them after the run that we have had since he left, but it would be a wonderful decision to have to make. He was instrumental in helping turn our season around. For that, I am truly grateful. I would certainly welcome him back. That said, there were family and financial inducements for him to move and I fully respect that and don’t anticipate a return. Good luck to him. If we get promoted this season (knock on wood), DA will be recruiting someone like Toumani the summer to strengthen the midfield.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Argyle-sy":sgyv4got said:
Green83":sgyv4got said:
Argyle-sy":sgyv4got said:
... but he used us as a stepping stone and that is not the kind of player I would want to see back in an Argyle shirt...

Simon Church?

I would say the same about Church if the same thing happens, there again I stated my displeasure at the time regarding signing a player who chose a wee club in a wee northern sh1thole over us, so my opinion would be the same with Church if he used us to get fit and then moved on. Granted Scunny were above us in the table, but they are a small club with a small fan base and small attendances, much the same with Toums I would have rather gone to a decent sized club by first division standards, playing in front of above average crowds.

I think you're being incredibly unrealistic about the realities of being a lower league professional footballer.

Without exception, you can bet that not single member of our current team grew up dreaming of playing for Plymouth Argyle - they're putting the work in for the club whilst they're here and that's all you can really ask for, that's what they're paid for.

I absolutely guarantee that if you were working away from your family, and then another company offered you double your wage and the chance to see your kids more you'd take it. The player's job is NOT his entire life.

If Toums was offered more money and a chance to move near to his family, he'd have been an idiot not to do it. He'll be retired by 35 with minimal qualifications and a family to support. It's ridiculous and a bit mean to try to paint him as a money-grabber in this situation, it's not Wayne Rooney throwing his teddies out of the pram because he's "only" getting paid 250k a week. He did a good job for Argyle, we're doing alright without him and we don't really need to rub it in that his team isn't doing so well.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Andy Holland":3da5fa1m said:
Argyle-sy":3da5fa1m said:
Green83":3da5fa1m said:
Argyle-sy":3da5fa1m said:

Simon Church?

I would say the same about Church if the same thing happens, there again I stated my displeasure at the time regarding signing a player who chose a wee club in a wee northern sh1thole over us, so my opinion would be the same with Church if he used us to get fit and then moved on. Granted Scunny were above us in the table, but they are a small club with a small fan base and small attendances, much the same with Toums I would have rather gone to a decent sized club by first division standards, playing in front of above average crowds.

I think you're being incredibly unrealistic about the realities of being a lower league professional footballer.

Without exception, you can bet that not single member of our current team grew up dreaming of playing for Plymouth Argyle - they're putting the work in for the club whilst they're here and that's all you can really ask for, that's what they're paid for.

I absolutely guarantee that if you were working away from your family, and then another company offered you double your wage and the chance to see your kids more you'd take it. The player's job is NOT his entire life.

If Toums was offered more money and a chance to move near to his family, he'd have been an idiot not to do it. He'll be retired by 35 with minimal qualifications and a family to support. It's ridiculous and a bit mean to try to paint him as a money-grabber in this situation, it's not Wayne Rooney throwing his teddies out of the pram because he's "only" getting paid 250k a week. He did a good job for Argyle, we're doing alright without him and we don't really need to rub it in that his team isn't doing so well.

Bang on. All I expect from an Argo player is that he gives our club his all every game, whether his career is one game or one hundred.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Andy Holland":1cjujyzc said:
Argyle-sy":1cjujyzc said:
Green83":1cjujyzc said:
Argyle-sy":1cjujyzc said:

Simon Church?

Forgive me if I am wrong but is this site not about "personal opinions" ?. As for being incredibly unrealistic about lower league footballers, I probably know far, far more lower league footballers both present and past than you do, as well as players who have played higher up the league's in England and Scotland, so it would be incredible to assume what they would or would not do. Personally I think that loyalty holds far more sway than anything else.

As for the "I can guarantee you if a company offered you double the money then you would take it" comment you would be well advised not to make assumptions towards people you do not know. I gave up an incredibly well paying job to look after my mum, I didn't receive a penny for looking after my mum and didn't claim anything like careers or attendance allowance, so don't make assumptions when you do not know the person you are addressing. I also gave up work to look after my youngest brother, again for no financial gain so it is safe to assume your assumption is wrong again.

Toums chose more money and bring near his family and I respect that, but at the same time I think he could have showed loyalty to a manager, team and fans who gave him the chance to play again, considering that nobody wanted him when Derek signed him. I for one would find it hilarious it Fleetwood Town go down at the end of the season, and in doing so their players take a substantial cut in wages, because to me this is just as mercenary as Sanchez going to Manchester United

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
landons forehead":1vlkjhsi said:
Andy Holland":1vlkjhsi said:
Argyle-sy":1vlkjhsi said:
Green83":1vlkjhsi said:
Argyle-sy":1vlkjhsi said:

Simon Church?

Bang on. All I expect from an Argo player is that he gives our club his all every game, whether his career is one game or one hundred.

Bang on ?, we will have to agree to disagree. Everyone praises Carey for the loyalty he showed us when turning down higher wages and being closer to Scotland when he chose to stay with us, that is loyalty and that is something that Toums quite clearly doesn't have, in my opinion