Wycombe or Exeter | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wycombe or Exeter

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Personally I would choose Exeter, simply because they aren't as dirty and cynical a team as that lot from Wycombe. Successful teams is good for all of the south west, and I have never really seen City as a rival in the same sense that I see the Bristol teams, Cardiff, Portsmouth etc, probably because our natural level is above Exeter's so it's more a novelty when we play them.

Aug 22, 2006
nick_PASTIE":4yxmua1n said:
mervyn":4yxmua1n said:
Whilst I can't get worked up about Exeter, I agree about clubs led by the managers you hate. For me that's Ainsworth, Evans, Westley, and in the past John Beck and Joe Kinnear. All of a similar type. Anyone remember Kinnear's attempted wind-up, calling us in a newspaper article a 'little club'? Totally backfired when Luggy pinned it on the dressing room wall, and we beat them easily at HP I recall.

Good list although I weirdly warmed to Ainsworth, especially after the 3-3 at Home Park. He’s a tosspot in many ways but I admire his attempts to work with a limited budget at Wycombe.

I would add David Kemp to that list.

To put Ainsworth in the same bracket as Evans and Westley is quite frankly ludicrous. I've mentioned this time and time again on these boards but having met Aisnworth on several occasions over the years and being a fairly good judge of character (i'd like to think anyway) I can safely say that he is a really nice chap, affable, hugely passionate, humble, and has a great love of rock music (ok that's just personal taste!) Evans and Westley shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (although Evans of course does have some talent as a manager granted.) You can throw Cotterill in there as well. Not very pleasant. I mean you all adore Neil Warnock but the guy is very very very hit and miss, depending on what mood he is in. Catch him on a bad day...also some of the mind games he plays is truly unbelievable, and I haven't even touched on the brand of football and the cynical game his teams have adopted in the past (although let me just say that he's done incredibly well in terms of promotions.) The funny thing is I know quite a few opposing fans who dislike Adams. Of course just because someone is not as chatty or as approachable than someone else it doesn't mean they haven't got a good heart. I'm sure Adams has, judging by the occasions our fans have met Adams away from the pitch, but on it he does annoy opposing fans, although of course i'm not too bothered about that as long as he gets us results.

Back to Wycombe, I do agree that there was a period when Ainsworth's team went down the "dark arts" route. It was infuriating, even his former team mate Neil Ardley admitted it. I'm sure I read an article where Ardley basically says "Ainsworth has always been a skilful, attacking player, great guy and a friend who has done a great job at Wycombe, but I don't understand why they're playing like they are. It's out of character" Something like this. In Ainsworth's defence like nick has mentioned their playing budget is extremely limited, although someone will throw in the argument about Accrington, Exeter etc.

However sometimes we are guilty here in Plymouth of living in the past. Wycombe have since progressed... they aren't overly dirty or cynical, they currently stand 13th in the fairplay table and they play some decent attacking football. Only Luton, Wigan, Blackburn and Wolves have scored more goals in the three leagues.

So yes you can try and create this kind of devil type character regarding Ainsworth but he really isn't. He's far from that and I'd actually argue in terms of dedication and opponent mind games, Derek Adams is closer to Ainsworth than we think!

Thanks for reading.

A

andyr1963

No No No No Mazza26 far far too much common sense in that post.Yer man Ainsworth makes a great pantomime villain. Long may it continue. :lol:

Mazza26":l3n2p6pc said:
nick_PASTIE":l3n2p6pc said:
mervyn":l3n2p6pc said:
Whilst I can't get worked up about Exeter, I agree about clubs led by the managers you hate. For me that's Ainsworth, Evans, Westley, and in the past John Beck and Joe Kinnear. All of a similar type. Anyone remember Kinnear's attempted wind-up, calling us in a newspaper article a 'little club'? Totally backfired when Luggy pinned it on the dressing room wall, and we beat them easily at HP I recall.

Good list although I weirdly warmed to Ainsworth, especially after the 3-3 at Home Park. He’s a tosspot in many ways but I admire his attempts to work with a limited budget at Wycombe.

I would add David Kemp to that list.

To put Ainsworth in the same bracket as Evans and Westley is quite frankly ludicrous. I've mentioned this time and time again on these boards but having met Aisnworth on several occasions over the years and being a fairly good judge of character (i'd like to think anyway) I can safely say that he is a really nice chap, affable, hugely passionate, humble, and has a great love of rock music (ok that's just personal taste!) Evans and Westley shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (although Evans of course does have some talent as a manager granted.) You can throw Cotterill in there as well. Not very pleasant. I mean you all adore Neil Warnock but the guy is very very very hit and miss, depending on what mood he is in. Catch him on a bad day...also some of the mind games he plays is truly unbelievable, and I haven't even touched on the brand of football and the cynical game his teams have adopted in the past (although let me just say that he's done incredibly well in terms of promotions.) The funny thing is I know quite a few opposing fans who dislike Adams. Of course just because someone is not as chatty or as approachable than someone else it doesn't mean they haven't got a good heart. I'm sure Adams has, judging by the occasions our fans have met Adams away from the pitch, but on it he does annoy opposing fans, although of course i'm not too bothered about that as long as he gets us results.

Back to Wycombe, I do agree that there was a period when Ainsworth's team went down the "dark arts" route. It was infuriating, even his former team mate Neil Ardley admitted it. I'm sure I read an article where Ardley basically says "Ainsworth has always been a skilful, attacking player, great guy and a friend who has done a great job at Wycombe, but I don't understand why they're playing like they are. It's out of character" Something like this. In Ainsworth's defence like nick has mentioned their playing budget is extremely limited, although someone will throw in the argument about Accrington, Exeter etc.

However sometimes we are guilty here in Plymouth of living in the past. Wycombe have since progressed... they aren't overly dirty or cynical, they currently stand 13th in the fairplay table and they play some decent attacking football. Only Luton, Wigan, Blackburn and Wolves have scored more goals in the three leagues.

So yes you can try and create this kind of devil type character regarding Ainsworth but he really isn't. He's far from that and I'd actually argue in terms of dedication and opponent mind games, Derek Adams is closer to Ainsworth than we think!

Thanks for reading.

Good post Mazza, however I think most personalities you dislike from a distance become real and sometimes even likeable when you speak face to face. I had a long term dislike of Norman Tebbit, yet when meeting him you could not have met a more likeable bloke, totally unlike his political persona, helped of course by spitting image.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ainsworth is one of the favourites for the Barnsley job, if that happens we should (please) see a different Wycombe in the new season.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
PL2 3DQ":2gn6tm04 said:
Ainsworth is one of the favourites for the Barnsley job, if that happens we should (please) see a different Wycombe in the new season.

But also a different Barnsley, who are in League 1.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PL2 3DQ":190vr0pm said:
Depends who they appoint. They had Gary Waddock before Ainsworth and the way they play now is a continuation of his style.