Your best ever read, or the book that changed your mind. | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your best ever read, or the book that changed your mind.

All my life I’ve avoided history books, not that I’m uninterested in history, but all too often it’s conjecture based on very few facts, unless it’s recent history of course. So I’ve started reading Mary Beard’s SPQR, an account of the history of Rome from 400 BC, with some trepidation. It’s brilliant, very readable, and completely factual, as she explains how the many thousands of documents of all kinds created by the Romans, have been stored or repeated by Monks and scholars over the following centuries. Really recommend it.

I Was There

♣️ North Devon Greens
Feb 2, 2022
Just finished Light over Liskeard by Louis De Bernieres of Captain Corelli’s Mandolin fame.
It’s set not too far in the future and as the title suggests is based around Liskeard/Bodmin Moor area.
It’s basically about a world dominated by AI and its consequences. I think it’s the weirdest book I’ve ever read but very, very readable. It’s a book I’d certainly recommend.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
All my life I’ve avoided history books, not that I’m uninterested in history, but all too often it’s conjecture based on very few facts, unless it’s recent history of course. So I’ve started reading Mary Beard’s SPQR, an account of the history of Rome from 400 BC, with some trepidation. It’s brilliant, very readable, and completely factual, as she explains how the many thousands of documents of all kinds created by the Romans, have been stored or repeated by Monks and scholars over the following centuries. Really recommend it.
I'm sorry Mervyn, but being repeated by monks and scholars over the following centuries makes it no more 'completely factual' than the millions of other history books out there. And I wouldn't say Beard is amongst the best of the huge bunch of Roman scholars there is.
However, I'm delighted that you are enjoying a bit of history and hope this encourages you to read more of it. I rarely read anything else, although I admit to struggling to remember any of it!! Reading a biography of Hitler at the moment, I'll report back when I've finished.

I'm sorry Mervyn, but being repeated by monks and scholars over the following centuries makes it no more 'completely factual' than the millions of other history books out there. And I wouldn't say Beard is amongst the best of the huge bunch of Roman scholars there is.
However, I'm delighted that you are enjoying a bit of history and hope this encourages you to read more of it. I rarely read anything else, although I admit to struggling to remember any of it!! Reading a biography of Hitler at the moment, I'll report back when I've finished.
Sorry to disagree LP, but I think she may be right. So far (I’m a quarter into the book) all her source material is the actual writings of Cicero, many copies created by slave writers, but definitely matching his original text. Regarding the biog of Hitler, I’ll try that as I’m still interested in the minutiae of all that period. Who is the author?

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
For me it's that far and away besteller of all time and at all times - the Bible.
It is so relevant for every situation and every age.
You want to fully understand the roots and failings and seemingly impossible resolution of the Israel / Gaza conflict ? - go to Genesis 16 and onwards. Do you know the word Hamas is used over 40 times in the Old Testament and what it means ?
You want insight into how the world is likely to be going forward - go to the first five verses of 2 Timothy 3 to get a snapshot of the current mentality, predicted over 2000 years ago, while others ( eg Luke 21) prophesy how it goes from here on in and , even though written 2000 plus years ago it talks of ' the end' as having significant climate change / events, pestilences , various conflicts and armies surrounding Israel and so on.
Looking for wisdom ? Read Solomon's wisdom in Ecclesiastes written 3000 years ago and as up to date and helpful today as ever - 'everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind' he says repeatedly, as he looks for meaning in projects, art, wealth, women, fame and so on.
When you think of all those OT stories , there has not been one archeological find that contradicts them.
Ancient texts, thousands of years old, are discovered in caves in this period and do not contradict the texts of today.
Why ,even Dawkins is softening and called himself a ' cultural Christian' last week , lamenting the loss of Christian culture in values, in song, art and architecture and so on.
And , as always, whenever a country tries to outlaw this book ( China / Russia / Cambodia) it comes back in greater measure - the fastest growing area of demand right now ? .. Iran.
This book turns ex Khmer Rouge soldiers into servants of the people, terrorists into peace lovers, addicts into good fathers, slave traders into abolitionists and so on. Sadly a tiny minority will always misuse it, but believe me it's been seriously neglected in the last two generations and our social fabric is paying the price for that and maybe at an accelerating rate.
I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lousy Pint

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Sorry to disagree LP, but I think she may be right. So far (I’m a quarter into the book) all her source material is the actual writings of Cicero, many copies created by slave writers, but definitely matching his original text. Regarding the biog of Hitler, I’ll try that as I’m still interested in the minutiae of all that period. Who is the author?
No worries Mervyn. The musings of Cicero are the only source of a lot of Roman info I guess, as you will notice if you read any more books on their history.
As for the Hitler book, the one I am reading is the first of two parts. It is called 'Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris' by Ian Kershaw. It is very interesting and brings to light some lesser known aspects of Hitler's life. I couldn't tell you how it compares to other biographies of him, there are simply too many!
FYI, the second book is called 'Hitler 1936-1945: Nemesis.' Enjoy!

Reactions: mervyn

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Great thread with some fab recommendations.

Currently reading a lot of Japanese fiction - some recommendations:

The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
Terminal Boredom - Izumi Suzuki
Lonely Castle in the Mirror - Mizuki Tsujimura
A Man - Keiichiro Hirano