Youth system - off topic split | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Youth system - off topic split

Feb 28, 2016
Cory is as far from a brat as you can meet! He is as far as from sour grapes as you could wish to meet, he often praises and bigs up Mike Cooper, you will not find a bigger supporter of Mike than Cory. He is not saying him or his brother, have been hard done by, he is shouting for the current boys to be given a chance.

I posted his tweet because he is an Argyle fan, he still sees this as his club, he has been through the process we debate and he is a fellow Plymothian who has come to the same conclusion I have. I salute him for coming out and saying it how he sees it, along with Jake Miller, we need people to speak out who have been through it and it does take conviction because they will be aware of the stick they will take, “axe to grind” “sour grapes” etc.

Given the attitude of some on this thread and the conspiracies against mods and owners of this site, I openly applaud them allowing this debate, even if their personal opinions are against my sentiment.

Feb 8, 2005
We will see if any of our youngsters that are rejected by Argyle make it into the professional world of English Football, contrary to the opinions of the current Argyle management.

There are no signs of this at the moment!!

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
I'm not saying he doesn't support Cooper or any of the lads.

I'm saying that his attitude stinks. I'd hope that if ANY of our youngsters shared his opinion they'd be released with immediate effect.

You don't start a job and expect to be promoted to manager with no experience. You have to get your head down, show a positive attitude, work hard and stand out. If you deserve it, you'll get what you're after in time.

Without wishing to downplay the achievement a cup run is just that. A fortunate run of results. It doesn't make us better than our counterparts. The first team aren't as good as Liverpool because we drew with them.

The comparisons with Exeter are ridiculous. They HAVE to blood youngsters. They're not a big enough club to compete for results and championships. They get more opportunities, they get to play with less pressure and it works for them.

We are a bigger club, and I care far more about winning. I get frustrated when we lose and I am happy when we win. It's nice to see a youngster in the team but I couldn't care less if our player came from Plympton or Peru quite frankly.

I want a team of players who get results and earn the right to represent us. Not some spoilt kid(s) who think he or his mates have a right to play because they live down the road and looks good playing at a standard of football far lower than League One.

I'm sure we have some talented young players, I'm sure we have some real good lads in the youth teams too. I trust that if the full package come along they will be given an opportunity.

We've seen Cooper, Fletcher and Sangster in the team this year however brief. I think that's positive.

For me its still all about patience for the academy and more time required for DA.
Its to early to judge the academy at the mo as the SWPL project was only reintroduced some 2/3 years ago.
Luggy introduced it in his first spell and it wasnt until holloway, luggy again and then reids spell before
it bore a more regular fruit. So some 5/6 years after?
This current fa youth cup crop maybe the first signs of some green shoots appearing? Most of them having
been involved in the 2/3 years so far of SWPL games whilst also i believe playing against older age boys in youth
games. Which would be the same as in luggies time here.
Hopefully, these central league games will also aid the process though there are not enough of them
to make a huge difference i would have thought.
I noted in the herald write up recently of the man city game that we are now using a 433, so mirroring the first
team, hopefully in producing specific type players for the current management and team. This should help too.
Kev hodges used to be a 352 man if i recall correctly.
As for having an academy it should not just be about serving argyle but also be about the local community and area.
Just like the community trust is doing.
The academy achieves this by producing excellent young local footballers, just like cory and tyler harvey,
which then raises the standard of local football at various levels in our area.
It gives local youngsters the chance to not only live the dream of becoming a pro.
But more importantly to be coached to as high a standard of player as possible if not making it.
Maybe they could then push on like isaac vassell has done given this base to build from.
Or as most will end up doing playing at as high as level as possible. You dont have to be a pro to enjoy
playing footie.
All this whilst also having help with their education and future prospects. It still seems a pretty
good offer to local youngsters to take up anyway even if that wonderful dream isnt realised.
So thats why im definately for having an argyle academy and also at the mo giving DA more time.

Nov 10, 2010
Name me players that have been released from argyle that have gone on to do something, most play for Truro or lower league down teams like parkway.

Aug 3, 2017
devonport singer":qikbdhsx said:
Name me players that have been released from argyle that have gone on to do something, most play for Truro or lower league down teams like parkway.

I was thinking the same. Out of those released in recent times I can only think of Vassel that’s gone on to prove a manager wrong and Leonard, but it was 8 years ago now released him.

May 16, 2016
If Exeters' conveyor belt of youth is so good, how is it they need to bring in a 19 and 17 year old on loans ?

I'd imagine their fans are up in arms over this.

Jan 7, 2018
Youth development and priority of it is all relative to your current ambitions. Exeters are what to Bob around league 2 have the odd flirt with league 1. They prioritise young player's to sell to bring in the money to help keep them relevant at league 2. Our immediate ambitions are very different when we are a comfortable championship side I'll be bothered.

Thought for a long while and it's what we seem to be up to that we should concentrate on picking up lads let go by a higher level like lolos. After all all the effort we put into a very young kid if he looks set to be good enough for where we eventually want to end up can now be stolen without much reward. But we should continue with our academy and raising the standard of south West football.

Aug 5, 2016
MarkMatthews":89j8v6zr said:
Voice_of_Reason":89j8v6zr said:
Jeez Mark you are getting boring now. Adams was bold enough to promote Fletcher but he doesn't suit our preferred system, so he's done the next best thing to help him gain experience.
Why would any manager (in the fickle world of football management) ignore youngsters if they are good enough? A personal crusade against a guy who clearly knows football better than you and actually see's these lads perform more than you is a one way street to the crazy house.
The only counter argument I can give in your favour, is that maybe due to the short term nature of football management (the average is less than 18 months I believe in the football league over the last decade) that it doesn't give managers the incentive to lay their arms open to academy's, the fact that the longest serving football league manager actually has a great record with young players, probably backs this up. If someone told Derek Adams he would be Argyle manager for 10 years, then maybe (just maybe) he would be keener to keep or blood more kids. But football isn't like that sadly.

Derek Adams must be on one of the securest deals in the football league, coupled with one of the most patient of chairmen.

There's a good reason for that - he gets us to Wembley, he keeps clean sheets at Anfield, he wins promotions, he doesn't just throw kids in left right and centre and hope it all works out.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Isondil":1g2r62w1 said:
devonport singer":1g2r62w1 said:

I was thinking the same. Out of those released in recent times I can only think of Vassel that’s gone on to prove a manager wrong and Leonard, but it was 8 years ago now released him.
Damien McCrory? Having a decent career in the lower leagues. Given a professional contract with us but never made an appearance.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Ottawa Green":2lwidy6t said:
I guess his attitude has changed

Cory Harvey‏ @coryharvey30

It has been an honour to be able to play for plymouth my home club
I am afraid I never had the talent to play for my home club - but if I had been good enough to have done so I would have been careful to announce that my honour would have been to play for Argyle!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Keepitgreen":2h01ebli said:
Isondil":2h01ebli said:
devonport singer":2h01ebli said:

Damien McCrory? Having a decent career in the lower leagues. Given a professional contract with us but never made an appearance.
But weren't we a championship club then? He has hardly proved us wrong.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":3u3kvctc said:
Keepitgreen":3u3kvctc said:
Isondil":3u3kvctc said:
devonport singer":3u3kvctc said:

But weren't we a championship club then? He has hardly proved us wrong.
Just pointing out that he came from our Centre of Excellence and he didn't go on to play for Truro or lower.

Jun 22, 2015
Instead of asking why these players that are released, don't go on to make it, ask why we cant produce players to make it?