Memorable Headed Goals | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Memorable Headed Goals

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Probably wouldn't make the top 3 but an honourable mention for Cosgrove v Sheffield Wednesday right at the death last season
Technically a good a header as any of them. Ball behind him and had to generate all the power. Brilliant header.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Tynans V Bristol City? Probably my all time favorite night at Home Park.

Feb 22, 2024
Paul Williams vs Colchester for me, purely because it came SO late in the game. We were just minutes away from never even experiencing that Wembley occasion.

Littlejohn getting tripped when clean through, and the Colchester lad only getting a yellow, had already whipped the crowd into a frenzy.

And if there was one player you WOULDN’T have put money on scoring a headed winner, it was Paul Williams! What a night that was.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Paul Williams vs Colchester for me, purely because it came SO late in the game. We were just minutes away from never even experiencing that Wembley occasion.

Littlejohn getting tripped when clean through, and the Colchester lad only getting a yellow, had already whipped the crowd into a frenzy.

And if there was one player you WOULDN’T have put money on scoring a headed winner, it was Paul Williams! What a night that was.
Yeah absolute scenes!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
The earliest memorable headed goal I recall was Hughie Reed's flying header at the Devonport End in the early 70s. He was the shortest player in the Football league at just 5 feet 4 inches.
Other notable ones for me were 'Charlie' Williams against Colchester, Mauge at Wembley, Evans against QPR, Hartley against Pompey and now Edwards against Hull.

Mar 26, 2004
Steve Cooper scored some beauties but I recall an incredible one from the edge of the box. Home game, evening kick off from memory but I can’t recall the opponent (Bournemouth, perhaps?). An ex high jumper and one of my favourites when I was growing up. Sadly gone but not forgotten.
When i read the thread title, that was the first one that came into my head, was a teenage lad in the Lyndhurst and was in line with it. I believe it was Bournemouth and has been in-printed into my head ever since. Cooper had springs on his feet and would soar above the defenders.

Courtesy of GoS

Reactions: Cousin Pavlos
May 11, 2019
The earliest memorable headed goal I recall was Hughie Reed's flying header at the Devonport End in the early 70s. He was the shortest player in the Football league at just 5 feet 4 inches.
Other notable ones for me were 'Charlie' Williams against Colchester, Mauge at Wembley, Evans against QPR, Hartley against Pompey and now Edwards against Hull.
Hughie Reed was against Torquay on Boxing Day I believe, possibly 1972, what a goal.

Reactions: greensalt

BCR

Jun 8, 2022
East Anglia
Most of my top favourites have already been mentioned but Mark Smith's equalizer against Man City in 1988 also sticks in the mind. In and of itself it wasn't particularly outstanding in any way, but it was the first game I went to at Home Park with a 10,000+ crowd, the first time I'd seen us come back from 2-0 down to win and the first time I experienced that feeling of 'this is going to be a goal' as soon as the ball left John Matthews' boot. In my mind it was a towering header through a crowd of players from about 12 yards out, the ball travelling so fast that it came to rest somewhere on Outland Road. YouTube shows that the mind has embellished things over the years; shame on you YouTube, I'll cling to the version I remember instead :D

Mar 30, 2024
Not many people would have seen it but saw John Sims score with a superb diving header from a Kevin Hodges cross at Chester circa 1982-not an important goal in the overall picture but up there with the best in terms of team play and finishing.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Far less crucial but will always remember David Friio scoring two last min headers v Gillingham in our first season back in the championship in 2004/05. Came from nowhere to win 2-1.
Remember that well, many had already left the ground assuming that it was going to be a 1-0 loss, :giggle:Oh ye of little faith!

Oct 12, 2021
Vivid memory of a match report from 1989, Lost 3 - 1 to Sunderland but Greg Campbell (who did not score many) got Argyle's goal from a 40 yard header. Have never seen it, but sounds like a cracker.
Of course the memory may Cheat.