Death of a football club | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Death of a football club

• Thread starter Green_blooded_pilgrim
  • Start date
G

Green_blooded_pilgrim

Moving back to Plymouth after 10 years away. It really excites me as its a wonderful location and I have a lot of great friends and family here. It is also the home of what used to be my passion in life Plymouth Argyle football club.

I say used to as I still follow them on the radio and look out fur their results but I will not go to the games anymore because they depress me so much. Not for the reasons you might think either. Watching Argyle lose has never been an issue for me. I would go and support my team and know that they were out there wanting to win as much as the fans wanted them to win, and that the background staff were doing what they could to put them in a position to be successful.

I just couldn't stand the average Plymouth Argyle fan which is epitomised by this site. Grumpy, pessimistic, glass empty!, just at the game to vent their own frustrations of their own unhappy lives (my conclusion - rightly or wrongly).

Home Park and PASOTI is a depressing place to be and since I took myself away from both - it may be a coincidence - but my life has felt and been so much better.

A very negative post but just want to conclude by saying when you have a young child and it's trying to walk for the first time do you encourage, or do you criticise and vent your frustrations? If you want to watch your friends run a marathon would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations? If your child came home from school and were having difficulty with their home work, would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations?

Why would you encourage? Because you want them to succeed.

Every boo, every negative word, every criticism has an impact on this club. Maybe some people want the club to be as unsuccessful as their lives to add that consistency?

But for those that want a club that they can be proud of have a think before you write your next post on here or follow the charmless brigade in their torrents of misery on a Saturday afternoon.

Some people have lost what the meaning of 'support' means. If you do not support your club like you would support your child or support your friend when they are going through difficult times then maybe it's time to do just that.

Mar 7, 2009
It's hard going at the moment, granted.

But stick with us, you never know when the good times are around the corner - and they will feel so much sweeter if you stick with us now.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
What utter utter garbage. The most negative peice I have ever read on thsi website, and that is saying something.

The OP states that to improve something you should ecourage, not criticise, and then goes on to be incredibly critical about the clubs loyal fans, who have stuck with the team despite woeful performances for 5 years now. What a total and utter hypocryte. If you want fans to improve whould you nto encourage them, and give them reasons to be hopeful? Or would you spill bile on an internet forum?

G

Green_blooded_pilgrim

Womble":3tvzjycu said:
What utter utter garbage. The most negative peice I have ever read on thsi website, and that is saying something.

The OP states that to improve something you should ecourage, not criticise, and then goes on to be incredibly critical about the clubs loyal fans, who have stuck with the team despite woeful performances for 5 years now. What a total and utter hypocryte. If you want fans to improve whould you nto encourage them, and give them reasons to be hopeful? Or would you spill bile on an internet forum?

If that is the only thing that you picked up from my post then I rest my case

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Womble":3sa5ez81 said:

I agree.

Why do the ones who don't go to Argyle always claim to know what's wrong?

And when the "product" is as abjectly poor as it was on Saturday should we just sit and politely applaud?

Hopefully the booing will get the message across. And if there's still no improvement then I can see attendances dropping even more.

Aug 28, 2012
Green_blooded_pilgrim":rcfukovo said:
Moving back to Plymouth after 10 years away. It really excites me as its a wonderful location and I have a lot of great friends and family here. It is also the home of what used to be my passion in life Plymouth Argyle football club.

I say used to as I still follow them on the radio and look out fur their results but I will not go to the games anymore because they depress me so much. Not for the reasons you might think either. Watching Argyle lose has never been an issue for me. I would go and support my team and know that they were out there wanting to win as much as the fans wanted them to win, and that the background staff were doing what they could to put them in a position to be successful.

I just couldn't stand the average Plymouth Argyle fan which is epitomised by this site. Grumpy, pessimistic, glass empty!, just at the game to vent their own frustrations of their own unhappy lives (my conclusion - rightly or wrongly).

Home Park and PASOTI is a depressing place to be and since I took myself away from both - it may be a coincidence - but my life has felt and been so much better.

A very negative post but just want to conclude by saying when you have a young child and it's trying to walk for the first time do you encourage, or do you criticise and vent your frustrations? If you want to watch your friends run a marathon would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations? If your child came home from school and were having difficulty with their home work, would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations?

Every boo, every negative word, every criticism has an impact on this club. Maybe some people want the club to be as unsuccessful as their lives to add that consistency?

But for those that want a club that they can be proud of have a think before you write your next post on here or follow the charmless brigade in their torrents of misery on a Saturday afternoon.

Some people have lost what the meaning of 'support' means. If you do not support your club like you would support your child or support your friend when they are going through difficult times then maybe it's time to do just that.

Whilst I can appreciate many of your points in a very well articulated post I have two major observations;

1) You maintain the child encouragement comparison throughout ........ and it appears that as things have got too tough for you then you have not encouraged or supported .... you have walked away and not seen your commitment through

2) Your topic heading "Death of a Football Club" is way way out of line - this club is far from dead - recovering from a life saving operation with a period of rehab required but dead - never Argyle will never die. It may drop through leagues or even go out of business but the soul of PAFC will live forever.

G

Green_blooded_pilgrim

Saracen10":3gocl7sg said:
Green_blooded_pilgrim":3gocl7sg said:

Whilst I can appreciate many of your points in a very well articulated post I have two major observations;

1) You maintain the child encouragement comparison throughout ........ and it appears that as things have got too tough for you then you have not encouraged or supported .... you have walked away and not seen your commitment through

2) Your topic heading "Death of a Football Club" is way way out of line - this club is far from dead - recovering from a life saving operation with a period of rehab required but dead - never Argyle will never die. It may drop through leagues or even go out of business but the soul of PAFC will live forever.

G

Green_blooded_pilgrim

Saracen10":3dklo1d9 said:
Green_blooded_pilgrim":3dklo1d9 said:

1) I didn't think of it that way but I suppose I will have to agree with you on that one. Maybe I shall start rearing my ugly head once more when I'm back next month

2) again, I agree it was more of a tongue in cheek and sensationalist headline that would probably have been better on a red top

Aug 28, 2012
Green_blooded_pilgrim":2f1k6a9t said:
Saracen10":2f1k6a9t said:
Green_blooded_pilgrim":2f1k6a9t said:

1) I didn't think of it that way but I suppose I will have to agree with you on that one. Maybe I shall start rearing my ugly head once more when I'm back next month

2) again, I agree it was more of a tongue in cheek and sensationalist headline that would probably have been better on a red top

Respect to you - will be good to have you back at Home Park. :clap:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Stop criticising and venting your frustrations and get yourself back up to Home Park to do some encouraging to try to help the club succeed (and to enjoy the successes when they come). ;)
As Saracen10 says - it will be good to have you back. :scarf:

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
I understand exactly what green blooded is on about! During the home win against Northampton I had to move at half time because of the utter negative garbage being spewed out from the so called supporters sat next to me! It really made me feel so depressed, so I moved 5 blocks over to some empty seats on the Spion. It nearly ruined my day, but I stuck with it and of course we won, we wasn't playing too bad either.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
The entire speech was rubbish.The people that the auther is moaning about are the real supporters and probably constitute 99% of the clubs fanbase.Perhaps he should have waited until he had moved back and whitnessed the dross that is being served up at home park before he broke his silence.