Death of a football club | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Death of a football club

• Thread starter Green_blooded_pilgrim
  • Start date

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Jon Doyle":101fe3b7 said:
I understand exactly what green blooded is on about! During the home win against Northampton I had to move at half time because of the utter negative garbage being spewed out from the so called supporters sat next to me! It really made me feel so depressed, so I moved 5 blocks over to some empty seats on the Spion. It nearly ruined my day, but I stuck with it and of course we won, we wasn't playing too bad either.

But why moan so much when we were playing quite well? (Northampton game wasn't too bad!) That's the bit that baffles me - some people go to moan and will moan so bad even if we were playing the best football ever. That's the sad people I think the original poster was on about. Its pathetic really, and i think it's a release for them being 'henpecked' at home.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Jon Doyle":t37deara said:
Jon Doyle":t37deara said:
I understand exactly what green blooded is on about! During the home win against Northampton I had to move at half time because of the utter negative garbage being spewed out from the so called supporters sat next to me! It really made me feel so depressed, so I moved 5 blocks over to some empty seats on the Spion. It nearly ruined my day, but I stuck with it and of course we won, we wasn't playing too bad either.

But why moan so much when we were playing quite well? (Northampton game wasn't too bad!) That's the bit that baffles me - some people go to moan and will moan so bad even if we were playing the best football ever. That's the sad people I think the original poster was on about. Its pathetic really, and i think it's a release for them being 'henpecked' at home.

Jon - You're not saying we played well against Wimbledon?

Jul 6, 2011
Green_blooded_pilgrim":i55owahq said:
Greenblooded1":i55owahq said:
Saracen10":i55owahq said:
Moving back to Plymouth after 10 years away. It really excites me as its a wonderful location and I have a lot of great friends and family here. It is also the home of what used to be my passion in life Plymouth Argyle football club.

I say used to as I still follow them on the radio and look out fur their results but I will not go to the games anymore because they depress me so much. Not for the reasons you might think either. Watching Argyle lose has never been an issue for me. I would go and support my team and know that they were out there wanting to win as much as the fans wanted them to win, and that the background staff were doing what they could to put them in a position to be successful.

I just couldn't stand the average Plymouth Argyle fan which is epitomised by this site. Grumpy, pessimistic, glass empty!, just at the game to vent their own frustrations of their own unhappy lives (my conclusion - rightly or wrongly).

Home Park and PASOTI is a depressing place to be and since I took myself away from both - it may be a coincidence - but my life has felt and been so much better.

A very negative post but just want to conclude by saying when you have a young child and it's trying to walk for the first time do you encourage, or do you criticise and vent your frustrations? If you want to watch your friends run a marathon would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations? If your child came home from school and were having difficulty with their home work, would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations?

Why would you encourage? Because you want them to succeed.

Every boo, every negative word, every criticism has an impact on this club. Maybe some people want the club to be as unsuccessful as their lives to add that consistency?

But for those that want a club that they can be proud of have a think before you write your next post on here or follow the charmless brigade in their torrents of misery on a Saturday afternoon.

Some people have lost what the meaning of 'support' means. If you do not support your club like you would support your child or support your friend when they are going through difficult times then maybe it's time to do just that.

Whilst I can appreciate many of your points in a very well articulated post I have two major observations;

1) You maintain the child encouragement comparison throughout ........ and it appears that as things have got too tough for you then you have not encouraged or supported .... you have walked away and not seen your commitment through

2) Your topic heading "Death of a Football Club" is way way out of line - this club is far from dead - recovering from a life saving operation with a period of rehab required but dead - never Argyle will never die. It may drop through leagues or even go out of business but the soul of PAFC will live forever.

Maybe I shall start rearing my ugly head once more when I'm back next month

Maybe if you'd paid to watch the past 5 years matches, not just listening to the radio & looking out for results you'd understand our "real fans" perspectives. It's easy to sit in an Ivory tower & not having paid hard earned money to endure the poo from the past 3 seasons.

I understand what you are saying and in one respect I don't have a leg to stand on with my attendance and the money that a lot of you guys are putting into the football club. But my thoughts whether they are listened to or not is that its a bit like saying that my car isn't working very well, so I took sledge hammer to it. There are a lot of people that are not helping this club with their comments and negative thoughts.

When it comes to these people I'm sure the club are happy that they are paying their money and attending but I would also stick my neck out to say that the players would rather that these players did not turn up. There is a big distinction between supporting the club and supporting the team.

I realise that at this moment in time it could be argued that I do neither. But this is not about me, its a bit bigger than that

It's pointless arguing with this 'happy' crowd, I know I've tried.
There will always be a certain element who believe that negativity is king, but there are many faithful members of the green army who see the bigger picture and remain faithful. A few years ago I stayed away for quite some time for the very reasons you mentioned. In the Demport end there was an old fellah who was constantly mocking the team (and we were high up in the championship table???), he would not let it go and even my dad who is a gentle man gave him a look that said sit down or I'll knock you down. This went on every time we were there and now my dad hardly ever goes, maybe twice a season and frankly my attendances have cut right down as well. This isn't solely the fault of performances, but moreso the constant moronic barracking around me.
Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but sometimes it goes way over the top. They use to say the geography of Plymouth stopped certain players from wanting to come here, are we absolutely certain that that is the whole truth of the matter?
We have a lot of brilliant fans here in Plymouth and all over the country, but a certain few spoil it for the whole.

T

Tavyred

Don`t worry my Greenie friends, the OP`er will be back when you`re sniffing around the 2nd tier again, until then he`s 'making a stand' don`t you know!:)

<plasticgloryhunter>

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
David_Fisher":2n4qq329 said:
Jon Doyle":2n4qq329 said:
Jon Doyle":2n4qq329 said:

Jon - You're not saying we played well against Wimbledon?

I am not having a go at anyone, of course people will moan when we are playing bad and I can understand this! I just hate it when we play well and still people moan and whinge. Most of these types don't know much about football (IMO) but I guess they pay with their hard earned cash gives this gives them the right to do what they want? I just don't see the sense in it and on this particular day it was ruining my own enjoyment and is hence why I moved.

Mar 23, 2008
Can't help but laugh at a negative post knocking negative fans, just a slice of irony. The green army are brilliant, every club has a degree of moaning, it ain't just Argyle. At least we are loyal.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
I too have had to speak to an old chap sitting near me, whose tirade of foul mouthed and venomous abuse directed towards individual players I find quite upsetting and certainly spoils my 'experience' of watching the game. It isn't possible to ignore someone like that. They cast a gloom and create a feeling of tension. Have an opinion by all means, but the mean and nasty tone is quite unnecessary and unjustified.

G

Greenskin

briangreen":353det66 said:
Green_blooded_pilgrim":353det66 said:
Greenblooded1":353det66 said:
Saracen10":353det66 said:
Moving back to Plymouth after 10 years away. It really excites me as its a wonderful location and I have a lot of great friends and family here. It is also the home of what used to be my passion in life Plymouth Argyle football club.

I say used to as I still follow them on the radio and look out fur their results but I will not go to the games anymore because they depress me so much. Not for the reasons you might think either. Watching Argyle lose has never been an issue for me. I would go and support my team and know that they were out there wanting to win as much as the fans wanted them to win, and that the background staff were doing what they could to put them in a position to be successful.

I just couldn't stand the average Plymouth Argyle fan which is epitomised by this site. Grumpy, pessimistic, glass empty!, just at the game to vent their own frustrations of their own unhappy lives (my conclusion - rightly or wrongly).

Home Park and PASOTI is a depressing place to be and since I took myself away from both - it may be a coincidence - but my life has felt and been so much better.

A very negative post but just want to conclude by saying when you have a young child and it's trying to walk for the first time do you encourage, or do you criticise and vent your frustrations? If you want to watch your friends run a marathon would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations? If your child came home from school and were having difficulty with their home work, would you encourage or would you criticise and vent your frustrations?

Every boo, every negative word, every criticism has an impact on this club. Maybe some people want the club to be as unsuccessful as their lives to add that consistency?

But for those that want a club that they can be proud of have a think before you write your next post on here or follow the charmless brigade in their torrents of misery on a Saturday afternoon.

Some people have lost what the meaning of 'support' means. If you do not support your club like you would support your child or support your friend when they are going through difficult times then maybe it's time to do just that.

Whilst I can appreciate many of your points in a very well articulated post I have two major observations;

1) You maintain the child encouragement comparison throughout ........ and it appears that as things have got too tough for you then you have not encouraged or supported .... you have walked away and not seen your commitment through

2) Your topic heading "Death of a Football Club" is way way out of line - this club is far from dead - recovering from a life saving operation with a period of rehab required but dead - never Argyle will never die. It may drop through leagues or even go out of business but the soul of PAFC will live forever.

Maybe if you'd paid to watch the past 5 years matches, not just listening to the radio & looking out for results you'd understand our "real fans" perspectives. It's easy to sit in an Ivory tower & not having paid hard earned money to endure the poo from the past 3 seasons.

I understand what you are saying and in one respect I don't have a leg to stand on with my attendance and the money that a lot of you guys are putting into the football club. But my thoughts whether they are listened to or not is that its a bit like saying that my car isn't working very well, so I took sledge hammer to it. There are a lot of people that are not helping this club with their comments and negative thoughts.

When it comes to these people I'm sure the club are happy that they are paying their money and attending but I would also stick my neck out to say that the players would rather that these players did not turn up. There is a big distinction between supporting the club and supporting the team.

I realise that at this moment in time it could be argued that I do neither. But this is not about me, its a bit bigger than that

There will always be a certain element who believe that negativity is king, but there are many faithful members of the green army who see the bigger picture and remain faithful. A few years ago I stayed away for quite some time for the very reasons you mentioned. In the Demport end there was an old fellah who was constantly mocking the team (and we were high up in the championship table???), he would not let it go and even my dad who is a gentle man gave him a look that said sit down or I'll knock you down. This went on every time we were there and now my dad hardly ever goes, maybe twice a season and frankly my attendances have cut right down as well. This isn't solely the fault of performances, but moreso the constant moronic barracking around me.
Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but sometimes it goes way over the top. They use to say the geography of Plymouth stopped certain players from wanting to come here, are we absolutely certain that that is the whole truth of the matter? We have a lot of brilliant fans here in Plymouth and all over the country, but a certain few spoil it for the whole.

I've been to watch Argyle at over 60 grounds around the country and some of the abuse dished out by home fans has been terrible,far worse than anything that has taken place at Home Park.I've seen near riots at Lincoln and Chester against their boards of directors,the Derby crowd giving John Robertson so much abuse that he was in tears when he walked off the pitch,Walsall fans giving a player signed from non league sufficient hammer to ensure that he didn't play another league match,etc,etc.The reaction at Home park has been mild in comparison and to suggest that players haven't come to Argyle becuase of a bad crowd reputation is total nonsense.Players of sufficient calibre to attain five promotions have been signed in my time as a supporter,which would appear to refute your suggestion somewhat.If you want to see some real abuse directed at differing personnel at varying clubs,just look at these and ask yourself if anything like it has ever been seen at Home park;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNilZEp ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2t4aXzNdQ

Our fans are pussy cats in comparison,possibly too much so IMHO.The performance on saturday deserved every bit of criticism levelled at it and more-complacent,lethargic and unimaginative would be three of the more generous words to describe it and things need to improve quickly,otherwise an escalation of discontent will be justified and some would say overdue.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
greengenes":1gi9gmfo said:
Greenskin":1gi9gmfo said:
briangreen":1gi9gmfo said:
Green_blooded_pilgrim":1gi9gmfo said:
Greenblooded1":1gi9gmfo said:
Saracen10":1gi9gmfo said:

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but sometimes it goes way over the top. They use to say the geography of Plymouth stopped certain players from wanting to come here, are we absolutely certain that that is the whole truth of the matter? We have a lot of brilliant fans here in Plymouth and all over the country, but a certain few spoil it for the whole.

I've been to watch Argyle at over 60 grounds around the country and some of the abuse dished out by home fans has been terrible,far worse than anything that has taken place at Home Park.I've seen near riots at Lincoln and Chester against their boards of directors,the Derby crowd giving John Robertson so much abuse that he was in tears when he walked off the pitch,Walsall fans giving a player signed from non league sufficient hammer to ensure that he didn't play another league match,etc,etc.The reaction at Home park has been mild in comparison and to suggest that players haven't come to Argyle becuase of a bad crowd reputation is total nonsense.Players of sufficient calibre to attain five promotions have been signed in my time as a supporter,which would appear to refute your suggestion somewhat.If you want to see some real abuse directed at differing personnel at varying clubs,just look at these and ask yourself if anything like it has ever been seen at Home park;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNilZEp ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2t4aXzNdQ

Our fans are pussy cats in comparison,possibly too much so IMHO.The performance on saturday deserved every bit of criticism levelled at it and more-complacent,lethargic and unimaginative would be three of the more generous words to describe it and things need to improve quickly,otherwise an escalation of discontent will be justified and some would say overdue.

I was going to post something similar . I've been at away grounds and seen thge home fans pouring out bile at their own players and management like nothing I've ever seen at Home Park . We really are The Mild West .

I remember an away game of an evening at Cardiff ( the one where Michael foot was on the terraces with us . I've never ever seen or heard abuse like that aimed at players and manager alike .

I was at that Cardiff game - it nearly got rained off, awesome away following that night!

I don't understand the moaning when we play well, that was the reason for my reply! Even if it is mild it doesn't make it right does it?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Green_blooded_pilgrim":18u0r2w1 said:

i think that is the most patronising post i have ever read

A

aishburton green

And the definition of a proper fan is........??
just because someone chooses not to go every week for whatever reason be it financial or work committments it does not make them any less of a fan.
So what you are saying if you go every week shout abuse at players and spurt bile on this site it makes you a true fan. Absolute rubbish.

I have sat in Lyndhurst listening to abuse aimed at Williams , Hourihan etc. And i sometimes think would thise individuals dishing it out actually go and say it to their face
We are all entitled to our opinion but do it in the right way.
Some of us take kids to the football( future fans potentially). But what parent wants to subject there kids to some of the language aggression coming from "so called fans".

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
ALL clubs have their negative element...I never forget a trip to Villa v Spurs in 1995 with a spurs supporting mate.. over 4000 away fans there on a run of something like 7 wins...the night Bosnich clattered Kilnsmann and Cantona did his kung fu kick thing, anyway, the moaning and criticism aimed at the team by the tottenham "faithful" during the game was beyond belief. I think argyle fans have just had enough, they've been through 3 years where 6-7 years of steady progress has been totally undone and there appears to be no reason to be optimistic at all just now. In these circumstances the booing is totally understandable...

Argyle have their own share of what i call "606 fans".... the reactionary, "sack the manager after every defeat" breed, but Im afraid thats modern life for you. We live in an instant gratification age and people are generally very impatient these days...argyle fans on the whole have I think been very loyal this past 3 years......

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a friend of mine up the gym i go too was saying last season,every time i spoke to him, "he's got to go,he will not get players in,he is messing about with the team".who was he talking about?carl fletcher? no. arsenne wenger! i kid you not.no fan is any different to any other.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The trouble with this is that you will find that boo's happen for a reason. Most people who boo one week will be ready to move on and revert to giving support by the time the next way comes - the idea that people only go to complain is wide of the mark. The problem is that the last few years haven't been merely poor but often inept in the extreme. More often than not I've not been able to summon the energy to boo, partly because the recent side has been largely kids and partly because the players wearing the green have been bereft of leadership and in many cases short of ability. There are genuine reasons for us being a 4th tier football club but it's not an acceptable explanation for our current form imo.