JB on BBC Radio | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

JB on BBC Radio

Jan 27, 2012
I didn't hear the interview, but the BBC website are today reporting that the club will buy back the ground. So I guess thats now confirmed. But I think we knew that anyway.

I'm a bit worried about the whole thing. Brent is good for the club in many repsects, but he's also not everything he seems. At the end of the day he is a property developer who is seeking to make money. And he can do that by cramming commercial development on land orignally owned buy the club and building a minimalist new grandstand.

Plus, what happens when Brent leaves the club (which one day in the future he will). Who will end up owning the ground then ? Maybe some Japanese investors will be interested ?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
gaspargomez":34193kx8 said:
I didn't hear the interview, but the BBC website are today reporting that the club will buy back the ground. So I guess thats now confirmed. But I think we knew that anyway.

I'm a bit worried about the whole thing. Brent is good for the club in many repsects, but he's also not everything he seems. At the end of the day he is a property developer who is seeking to make money. And he can do that by cramming commercial development on land orignally owned buy the club and building a minimalist new grandstand.

Plus, what happens when Brent leaves the club (which one day in the future he will). Who will end up owning the ground then ? Maybe some Japanese investors will be interested ?

Worth listening to the recording of the forum on the website. He provides an answer to that and other ground-owning questions.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
gaspargomez":359gbrrr said:

It appears that, however clearly James Brent tries to convince us, there will always be cynics who try to find loopholes in what he says.

All that I know is that he has convinced me that he is very excited about the prospect of using Mayflower 2020 as a catalyst to develop the ground infrastructure at Home Park. I would imagine that, with help from Simon Hallett, there will be some considerable involvement from 'across the pond'.

He may well make money, indirectly, from the project but, as long as it benefits Plymouth Argyle's long term future and that of the 'Green Army', his legacy will be that he was the best and most successful owner/chairman that the club has ever had.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Whilst other people poodle on, make snide comments and do bugger all.

Funny old world innit?

I'd say his Argyle 'project' has done very well wouldn't you?

In the black, legacy debts paid, top of the league and looking to buy (without selling players) the freehold back.

Chris, he really is crap isn't he? :facepalm:

Did you witness Dorchester, Stourbridge, Port Vale, Bury, Rochdale etc etc?

Oh and just for good measure his hotel business and Saltrock aren't exactly on the bones of their arse either?

Tell me Mr Ealing, what have you done to compare?

Jan 27, 2012
I'm not making a snide comment IJN. I am expressing a genuine concern.

I was not very impressed with the previous plans for a new grandstand. It was not big enough for the long-term ambitions of the club (and I am talking decades going forward). Furthermore, it was physically crammed in and surrounded by commercial developments not associated with the football club. If Brent is proposing something similar this time around then I'm not very excited about it.

Plus there is always the question of whether the ground could separate from the club and fall into private ownwership in the longer-term future. Look at the mess that Coventry City got themselves into.

Finally. Notwithstanding Argyle's excellent league position, you might ask what Argyle are still doing in league Two after all these seasons. Is there adequate investment in the team to really kick-start things ?

It's not anti-Brent. Its genuine concerns from Argyle fans who are entitled to question what they hear and read. Should we refrain from posting such opinions on this site ?

Surely we can't just say "he saved the club" and therefore all is good.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It wasn't aimed at you on this occasion Mr Gomez.

I also agree saying 'he saved the club' is enough, those days have truly gone and he knows that.

No one should refrain from anything on this site (as long as it's within the law) BUT as I say ever so often, no one should also refrain from having a go back.

When I see someone (on this occasion Ealing) say something like he did, then it is my right, and many others as well, to have a pop back. You see it works both ways.

Feel free to say whatever you want, but expect kick back if others don't agree with it, that's the way THIS site works.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
That was always the billion dollar question, Frank. Personally I think it should be "as big as we can realistically afford" and expect to fill. I was always happy with a grandstand which gave HP a 20,000 capacity as long as there was scope within the plans to add additional tiers to increase capacity should (if) we every need it down the line. But IIR the plans didn't allow for any expansion.

B

Baby Face Johnson

gaspargomez":1vgbmj2z said:
I'm not making a snide comment IJN. I am expressing a genuine concern.

I was not very impressed with the previous plans for a new grandstand. It was not big enough for the long-term ambitions of the club (and I am talking decades going forward). Furthermore, it was physically crammed in and surrounded by commercial developments not associated with the football club. If Brent is proposing something similar this time around then I'm not very excited about it.

Plus there is always the question of whether the ground could separate from the club and fall into private ownwership in the longer-term future. Look at the mess that Coventry City got themselves into.

Finally. Notwithstanding Argyle's excellent league position, you might ask what Argyle are still doing in league Two after all these seasons. Is there adequate investment in the team to really kick-start things ?

It's not anti-Brent. Its genuine concerns from Argyle fans who are entitled to question what they hear and read. Should we refrain from posting such opinions on this site ?

Surely we can't just say "he saved the club" and therefore all is good.

My sentiments exactly :clap:

Aug 2, 2011
What is wrong with being a property developer who wishes to make a profit? Would it be better if he was a greengrocer or a hairdresser. He has placed covenants on the ground which protect its status in the event of the club being sold - he didnt have to but he has. I only hope that if the club is sold to new owners then those who continually get at JB do not have cause for regret when they may discover just how unappealing. new owners may be - trying asking Hull and a vew other clubs in that position.

Aug 5, 2016
Knarf Reprah":2isckflo said:
Just st how big a stand do we need? We only sold out a couple of times in the Championship!

..which hopefully is not the height of our ambition!