Additional Un - Budgeted Income (merged) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Additional Un - Budgeted Income (merged)

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Completing summarizing and guess work of course, but what a year for additional revenue streams for the club.

£500,000 Wembley
£1m FA Cup Run
£280,000 Nelson
£70,000 (???) Doncaster TV Money
£200,000 Hourihane Sell On Potentially

£2,050,000 TOTAL give or take.

Plus what cost of promotion this season.

Just after the clearance of the debt and end of 50% Un-budgeted Income clause. What great timing!

Jan 6, 2004
where on earth did the £500,000 from Wembley come from? I thought the gate receipts and television money for this went into a general pot for all clubs.

May 14, 2016
I'm sure we received money when Joe Mason went from Cardiff to Wolves last January. Can't remember the amount though.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Stuart House":89ppj6w1 said:
Completing summarizing and guess work of course, but what a year for additional revenue streams for the club.

£500,000 Wembley
£1m FA Cup Run
£280,000 Nelson
£70,000 (???) Doncaster TV Money
£200,000 Hourihane Sell On Potentially

£2,050,000 TOTAL give or take.

Plus what cost of promotion this season.

Just after the clearance of the debt and end of 50% Un-budgeted Income clause. What great timing!

There were no numbers quoted from the Wembley game but the year before Wycombe announced they made £166,000 from their Wembley final, we had another 19,000 fans at our game so I would guess we made £250,000 from our play-off final.
We received 25% of gate receipts from the Wembley game.

The Nelson tribunal fee was initially £200,000, rising to £280,000.

The Doncaster TV money is about £10,000 for the away team, the home team get about £30,000.

There was also the 15% sell-on fee for Joe Mason when he moved to Wolves last January, about £450,000.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Like I said all guess work. I heard the half a mil figure quoted at the time regarding Wembley/Play Offs as whole.

Jul 29, 2010
Fag packet mathematics. Well intentioned FPMs, but FPMs nonetheless.

The accounts will show the true figure of total income and it'll be massively less than that. The accounts don't come straight away so in the meantime the 'show ambition' brigade* will abuse such fag packet figures to demand big spending on the team in January.

Thankfully we have a board who don't knee jerk and will spend it wisely, be that now or on future projects. But you're spot on Stuart about the unbudgeted income, the timing of the debt clearance arrangement couldn't have proved better.

There is of course a flip side to that. Clubs, organisations and individuals who were rightly owed funds by Argyle, already getting just a pittance to the pound settled early and got even less. Morally Argyle could make a contribution from that.

Upshot is, stupid as it sounds... don't go into administration!

Of course with a prudent and patient board there's less chance of that. So before the clamour comes again to 'spend spend spend already', there's never an inopportune moment to point out 'careful what you wish for :wink:

*NOT suggesting you are Stuart, but they're out there and they know who they are. Just like a players goals to games ratio being the SOLE indicator of a good forward, working on rough, rounded up, taking no account of taxes, outgoings and hidden cost figures is waaay too simplistic.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
There is also the chance that Oxford will endeavour to pay their commitment to Argyle in instalments over a couple of years. which knocks some gilt off the 'windfall'.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
I understand the maths VERY fag packet and make no suggestions on how it should be spent, my point being that for a change we have lets say a 'decent' amount of additional revenue.

Jul 29, 2010
I took it as such Stuart, hence the disclaimer.

Others however, not you, will use such fag packet figures and beat the board over the head with them. My observation was just a preemptive upper cut to such a simplistic response to unexpected income.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Brent said on Spotlight this week the club have made just over £1 million, he was asked if any of that money would go to the manager to strengthen the team after an embarrassing moment JB replied that the playe budget had all ready been set but if the manager wanted any additional funds there was money there.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
dunlop":o96jjdsc said:
Brent said on Spotlight this week the club have made just over £1 million, he was asked if any of that money would go to the manager to strengthen the team after an embarrassing moment JB replied that the playe budget had all ready been set but if the manager wanted any additional funds there was money there.

Mike, the 'embarrassing moment' as you call it was no doubt a thought check as he knows anything he says will be written down, misquoted and used against him.

He talks very carefully for that very reason. You of all people hang on this his every word.

I'd also add that "but if the manager wanted any additional funds there was money there" was the most important bit.

May 8, 2011
When working out gate receipts don't forget that 20% goes in VAT.
So if you paid £20 for your ticket on wednesday Argyle will get £7.20.
I not sure if match day costs like stewards, police are deducted from the gate receipts before the monies are shared or if the home team has to meet them from their share.

Yes, I was loathed to start a new thread when we have others contributing - in part - to what I am going to ask...................................................................

The income from the Liverpool games, the Nelson fee and now the Hourihane fee LESS the Goodwillie and Osbourne salaries = £XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Whatever that magic figure comes to ?

Where WILL it go ?

So far, NOT on any signings.

So WHERE will it be spent - now we are ONLY a few days from the transfer window closing.

Are we about to make the "same mistakes" as last season when we had NO/LITTLE money ?

OR

Will we splash the cash to boost our promotion push ?

What is James Brent's intention ?

What is his ambition ?

The Grandstand is sorted - thanks to Simon Hallett.

So what is left for THIS season ?

"Winner takes all" ?

From afar, I am NOT sure.

You, local guys, what do you think ?

Keep the Faith :scarf: