4 offers on the table for a striker | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

4 offers on the table for a striker

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Balham_Green":2z9njaht said:
pafcprogs":2z9njaht said:
The deal for mariner was valued st £220k and Pederlty and Austin were valued at£70k reducing the cash Ipswich paid

peddelty fractured his skull and became a referee I believe

Austin never really did much. I remember him in the Far Post for a Player event and he was chuffing away through a pack of Rothmans!

Think Peddelty had fractured skull before we signed him! Marshall not a bad Non League signing too!

Alan Nicholls too

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pafcprogs":1kdqi3vq said:
The deal for mariner was valued st £220k and Pederlty and Austin were valued at£70k reducing the cash Ipswich paid

peddelty fractured his skull and became a referee I believe

Austin never really did much. I remember him in the Far Post for a Player event and he was chuffing away through a pack of Rothmans!

Austin scored 18 goals in 58 League appearances, which was not to be sniffed at. This scoring record beats a whole lot of subsequent strikers who have laboured up front for Argyle.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
The striker situation is an absolute farce
We now need to find 2 forwards and hope that, with pre season gone and the season up and running, they bed in instantly and hit the ground running

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":2c1vu1h6 said:
The striker situation is an absolute farce
We now need to find 2 forwards and hope that, with pre season gone and the season up and running, they bed in instantly and hit the ground running

It isn't much different to last season and that worked out just fine.
At this stage last season we had Spencer, Goodwillie and Rooney, while Garita signed on deadline day.

Up until last Saturday we had Taylor, Blissett, Fletcher and Battle with another three weeks to go under deadline day to sign one or maybe two strikers.

Sep 13, 2003
Alex Fletcher was coming out of the Life Centre yesterday afternoon when the players were in Bristol. Alex Battle hasn't even been given a squad number.

Last season, at least Spencer and Goodwillie had some pedigree. I think Blissett was just a punt. Hopefully, it will work but I do doubt it. We are in a division higher but find ourselves much lighter in this department. Now we have lost Taylor that is somewhat of an understatement. Signings are urgent. A lot of points up for grabs before the deadline!

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
"Up until last Saturday we had Taylor, Blissett, Fletcher and Battle"

Fletcher & Battle wont get 90 league minutes between them, sadly.

Sep 6, 2006
Would have been great for their confidence and development playing in a game where we were outclassed and they hardly got a touch wouldn't it?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
PlymOdi":2xtem059 said:
"Up until last Saturday we had Taylor, Blissett, Fletcher and Battle"

Fletcher & Battle wont get 90 league minutes between them, sadly.

So if the youngsters are discounted then this time last season we had just Goodwillie and Spencer.
Spencer then got injured in November for 6 weeks which left us with Goodwillie and Garita and no opportunity to sign anyone.

Taylor's injury is obviously bad news but at least it happened while the transfer window is still open which allows Adams to sign one or two strikers.
The time to panic is 1st September if we haven't signed anyone by then.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Balham_Green":32w3z0d2 said:
Would have been great for their confidence and development playing in a game where we were outclassed and they hardly got a touch wouldn't it?

In a meaningless game, yes it would have been nice to have the opportunity to get young players some minutes and experience on the pitch.

You don't always have to be such an arse, you know.

Nov 26, 2010
Swindon
League 2 Swindon have just signed Kaiyne Woolery for £350k. The only striker we have bought in the last six years or so is Nathan Blissett for £15k. Surely a decent striker is worth a decent investment? Goals and wins puts 'bums on seats' and last season could have been so much better with a proper striker up front - we may not have fallen short on goal difference on the final day.
I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the seemingly lack of ambition at Argyle and our bargain basement approach to key player positions.
A decent striker should get a cash return if it doesn't work out. No need to invest beyond our means, but let's have someone to light up our season up front.
We also need to learn how to consolidate for more than 2-3 minutes in a match.

Jul 12, 2016
Agreed.We have been crying out for a decent striker for years.I cannot understand how we seem to be unable to find anybody willing to sign for an "ambitious" league 1 club anywhere In the UK or Europe.We have made 4 offers but with a little over 3 weeks til the transfer deadline, time is running out. Although nobody wants us to overstretch our finances surely a proven goal poacher is essential and would hopefully increase attendances.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
oldage":1z4vh20a said:
Although nobody wants us to overstretch our finances surely a proven goal poacher is essential and would hopefully increase attendances.
Probably wouldn't. A poacher in a system that needs a target man isn't likely to work, attendances would probably get lower.

Oct 10, 2012
Argy1e":3bt53leq said:
oldage":3bt53leq said:
Although nobody wants us to overstretch our finances surely a proven goal poacher is essential and would hopefully increase attendances.
Probably wouldn't. A poacher in a system that needs a target man isn't likely to work, attendances would probably get lower.

Can't we change formations?
99% sure Spencer and Goodwillie started vs Luton last season so Adams would play different formations to accommodate players

Jul 29, 2010
Pilgrimfather":2xl9y5ce said:
League 2 Swindon have just signed Kaiyne Woolery for £350k. The only striker we have bought in the last six years or so is Nathan Blissett for £15k. Surely a decent striker is worth a decent investment? Goals and wins puts 'bums on seats' and last season could have been so much better with a proper striker up front - we may not have fallen short on goal difference on the final day.
I'm just getting more and more frustrated at the seemingly lack of ambition at Argyle and our bargain basement approach to key player positions.
A decent striker should get a cash return if it doesn't work out. No need to invest beyond our means, but let's have someone to light up our season up front.
We also need to learn how to consolidate for more than 2-3 minutes in a match.

oldage":2xl9y5ce said:
Agreed.We have been crying out for a decent striker for years.I cannot understand how we seem to be unable to find anybody willing to sign for an "ambitious" league 1 club anywhere In the UK or Europe.We have made 4 offers but with a little over 3 weeks til the transfer deadline, time is running out. Although nobody wants us to overstretch our finances surely a proven goal poacher is essential and would hopefully increase attendances.
And now on BBC2 we go to the 'Loosen the purse strings- Watch' with Kate Humble and Chris Packham...

Not so long ago, in a Galaxy in exactly the same place, Plymouth Argyle started to spend more than it could afford. A little at first but then it grew. It grew because the supporters demanded it, they moaned, whinged and stamped their feet pushing for (quote) decent investment (unquote) to (quote) arrest a perceived lack of ambition (unquote).

Since those days a rebel alliance formed on the ice planet of Hoth. Their mission?, never to forget how the near destruction of Argyle's galaxy started and to ensure at the first sign of history repeating itself they were in place to remind those concerned to look at the bigger picture and reign back on making demands that lead to Argyle writing cheques their finances can't deliver.

Those two consecutive posts have set off an alarm bell in Hoth. Sentences like "No need to invest beyond our means, but..." and " Although nobody wants us to overstretch our finances surely a proven goal poacher is essential and would hopefully increase attendances" shows a disturbingly familiar trait for playing fast and loose with money.

What if to do so DOES cause us to invest beyond our means? You say a 'decent striker puts bums on seats', well so too does a crowd favorite goal scoring and goal creating #10. I don't know Argyle's current balance sheet any more than you do but on top of the new signings in a higher league (thus higher wages) it's entirely possible that in pushing the boat out to secure Graham Carey any contingencies and surpluses have been used up. It was a great bit of business to keep hold of GC10, he does put bums on seats. Are you saying we should've let him go elsewhere just so we could get a 'decent striker'?...because those are the juggling acts I strongly believe Argyle are having to make.

And then there's putting the cart before the horse again, 'spend and hopefully the attendances will rise'...sounds an awful lot like the oft quoted line from those days of "build it and they will come". Well they did build it... and they didn't come. Perhaps the exponents of this consequence free spending policy think we should've spent EVEN more of what we didn't have back then. In a parallel universe £17,000,000 debt rises to £27,000,000 or even £37,000,000. Argyle in those parallel universes has been wiped from existence, no doubt about it.

If we've sent out four contract offers they have to be four contracts we can afford. If they are not then they shouldn't have been made. If we have to make do with Nathan Blissett and Jake Jervis up there for the interim then so be it. Better that than igniting the fuse on another powder keg of debt.

Those two posts have far too many 'buzz words' in them for my liking. Here on the ice planet of Hoth that is concerning, we cannot allow ourselves to fall into the same trap as we did before. 'Just one more player' is a tempting premise to the weak of knee, but where do you stop?, there's always 'just one more player' on the horizon. I'm sure in the Premiership right now after spending £75,000,000 on Lukaku there are United fans imploring them to push the boat out for 'just one more player'. It's a road you only go down if you've got more money than sense. I trust and hope to god Argyle in 2017 has more sense than to go there, because it certainly doesn't have enough money in the scheme of things.

So you be as frustrated as it needs Pilgrimfather, suck it up. I want a new striker or two too but I only want one or two that Argyle can afford, not a single magic bean from the magic money tree more.