51 Points? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

51 Points?

Mar 14, 2009
Ave_IT":2am0baqs said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2am0baqs said:
Now if memory (and a bit of googling) is correct the last time we were in this type of mess was under Fletcher.

By the time he was fired, I believe after the Bristol Rovers game he amassed 24 points from 26 games. Brent pulled the trigger and Sheridan worked his magic.

Now currently we have played 18 and have 14 points. Still 10 points behind Fletcher's total but with league 8 games still to play.

Northampton (H)
Portsmouth (a)
Gillingham (H)
Rotherham(a)
Oldham(H)
MK Dons(a)
Blackpool(a)
Walsall(H)

The next 3 home games will determine our season with Northampton, Gillingham and Oldham being vital we pick up 2 wins out of those 3 games I feel.

Those fixtures are games we can pick up points in. Adams needs 3 wins and 1 draw just to match Fletchers miserable total at the same stage of the season he was sacked. Bearing in mind we need more than 24 points at that stage of the season with 4 teams going down in our league and not 2 you can see what a tall order it is because we cant afford to keep having such a poor home record.
No - the comparison with Fletcher is bogus Mickey.

Fletcher was a rookie manager, thrown in the deep end because there was nobody else. We were a basket case with kids and a few older pros still reeling from administration. We were in danger of dropping out of the football league completely and if that had happened the future - if there was a future - would have been bleak indeed. We were staring into the abyss. At the time he was sacked we were falling apart - his last few games (Bristol Rovers was it at the end?) were dire indeed. The dressing room was gone. We desperately needed an experience manager with a few contacts to dig us out in any way possible by any means. Sheridan fitted the bill - ugly but effective.

Adams is an experienced manager with a quite remarkable cv. He has built this team himself, got us to a play off then an automatic promotion. On and off the pitch we are light years from the Fletcher position, in no small part due to him. We are in a higher league and after a poor start the last seven games (including Saturday) is mid table form. He certainly 'has the dressing room' still. Different times, different situation.

Probably didn't explain myself well enough.

The comparison I was trying to make was really not the calibre of the managers but the points total after 26 games ( just over half the season). Basically just saying Fletcher was sacked at that point because we looked certain to go down. Adams is still 10pts behind this total. Plus there are two more relegation places to overcome.

If we lose the next couple of home games against our "relegation rivals" its going to be a very difficult ask.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Its a difficult task now even with beating our relegation rivals. I shudder to think if we lose to them.

All of those games look winnable on paper. Its an ideal opportunity to go on a good winning streak but TBH I don't think we are at the races with DA's negative/defensive tactics

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
So that's now 12 points from our last seven games.... so averaging 1.71 per game - further ahead of the 1.35 needed. IF (a big IF but indulge me) we carried on at this rate we'd end up with 63 points - 12th position last season. I'm not saying that will happen - there will be more games like Saturday but we CAN do it. Forget everyone else - there is no such thing as 'relegation rivals' especially at this time of the season. There could well be teams currently mid table who wil free fall and others near the bottom (hopefully us) who will go on a good run and end up very comfortable. If we get 51 points we WILL stay up. End of.
#ALONGWAYTOGO :wink:

Ave_IT":2r47c4aa said:
So that's now 12 points from our last seven games.... so averaging 1.71 per game - further ahead of the 1.35 needed. IF (a big IF but indulge me) we carried on at this rate we'd end up with 63 points - 12th position last season. I'm not saying that will happen - there will be more games like Saturday but we CAN do it. Forget everyone else - there is no such thing as 'relegation rivals' especially at this time of the season. There could well be teams currently mid table who wil free fall and others near the bottom (hopefully us) who will go on a good run and end up very comfortable. If we get 51 points we WILL stay up. End of.
#ALONGWAYTOGO :wink:

Good point. If you have to have a bad run at the bottom of the table, then the earlier in the season the better if you have a team and manager with a battling mentality, which I think we have. Bristol and Doncaster are on poor runs, and could soon be joining the struggle. The more in the mix the better our chances, so I'm not worried that Gillingham and Bury have picked up points.

I reckon it's now 5 points from every 4 games. The encouraging thing from yesterday's game was that we can see that there are other teams at least as bad as us! it's going to be a roller coaster ride , we'll lose plenty of games but if we can just beat a good proportion of the weak teams and squeak a few lucky points elsewhere we might just do it. But I'm under no illusion that we are a good team. Stay up and take stock in the summer!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
abandonedhope":ik21uaqp said:
I reckon it's now 5 points from every 4 games. The encouraging thing from yesterday's game was that we can see that there are other teams at least as bad as us! it's going to be a roller coaster ride , we'll lose plenty of games but if we can just beat a good proportion of the weak teams and squeak a few lucky points elsewhere we might just do it. But I'm under no illusion that we are a good team. Stay up and take stock in the summer!
Just about – an average of 5 from every four games would give us 50.75 points :) ........... 50 points is usually enough but 51 has been enough for as far back as I bothered to check. I do agree we have our limitations and our bad start means we have absolutely no room for a bad run of form or injuries but I think we are more resilient and better equiped than you imply. TBH we are the sort of gritty (often ugly to be frank) side suited to a relegation scrap. Look at it this way – if we were in or on the fringes of promotion would you fancy playing a team like us if you’re desperate for a win? A team that will sit and play on the counter; that doesn’t concede many (with eleven men) but likely to hurt you with a bit of Carey magic or set piece. I’m cautiously optimistic – I think it will be close. We’ve had a good run but still sit second bottom but the bottom half is tight – 8 points cover the lower 12 teams. I still think even MK Dons who are 13th and were absolute kak against our 10 men could end up in it.

Jan 28, 2015
Next 2 home games are massive. Need to be winning against the teams around us. Great result last night

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yes, we really must win these games. Looking at the pointage gained in the league so far it is looking like nearer 48 or 49 points will be sufficient this season. It amounts to about 15th/16th place form for the remainder of the season. I like to think we are capable of that based on the last 7 or 8 games and with the transfer window still to come which some funds are presumably held back for.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I echo the thoughts of AVE_IT, we also have the return of Taylor and Threlkeld to look forward to. Let's also hope that DA has prepared his shopping list for January.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Cifcti going back, Taylor coming in and maybe wages for another striker (young and pacey type) to offer something different to a target man might be what we need.

Apr 29, 2016
samjones":2eshukpo said:
There were definitely signs of green shoots there on Saturday despite the 0 - 4 THRASHING.

The pitch looked lovely, really vibrant and green. Shame we cant say the same about the football

51 pts myar53 we might even struggle to get 15. What is the lowest to be relegated from League 1 ?o

#RELEGATIONISNAILEDON

I’ll give you £50 for every point under 25 you give me £25 for every point over. #HAVENTGOTASCOOBYDO

Apr 5, 2008
Don’t think their is much between any of the sides in this league.

Not one stand out team.Could finish top half if after our much improved points total after first 10 games.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
moles40":2dtoko55 said:
Don’t think their is much between any of the sides in this league.

Not one stand out team.Could finish top half if after our much improved points total after first 10 games.
Assuming you've not seen Wigan play this season?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
philmeboots":2ntijt60 said:
samjones":2ntijt60 said:
There were definitely signs of green shoots there on Saturday despite the 0 - 4 THRASHING.

The pitch looked lovely, really vibrant and green. Shame we cant say the same about the football

51 pts myar53 we might even struggle to get 15. What is the lowest to be relegated from League 1 ?o

#RELEGATIONISNAILEDON

I’ll give you £50 for every point under 25 you give me £25 for every point over. #HAVENTGOTASCOOBYDO
Ooo ..... I'll have some of that please - I bid 35 points.