Ability or character? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ability or character?

May 1, 2011
Knibbsworth":ieqe4odd said:
Bristol Rich":ieqe4odd said:
HC Green":ieqe4odd said:
Ade the green":ieqe4odd said:
Earlier this evening I watched MotD2 and one of the featured matches was the 0-0 between Chelsea and Arsenal. Wenger mentioned in his post match that they had worked an awful lot on their defensive line the past week after their capitulation last weekend and it certainly paid off. It got me thinking about Argyle's training atm moment or indeed since they reported back for Pre-season.

In hindsight we all know that goal scoring has been an issue and this is not something that should surprise anybody as during the PSFs it became apparent that we needed goals from somewhere. Then added to that, someone (sorry but I can't remember who) remarked how pre game practise there was something like 25-30 shots and only 3-4 hit the target, this being whilst there should not be any nerves or pressure. Now take away players that never take a shot (Fox for one) it should still leave 4-5-6 in the starting line up that have experience in scoring goals, whether it be a Carey screamer or a Bradley header from a corner (I can't say how Nadir scores a goal yet as nobody has seen it happen) but none of these things has occurred yet this season. This really begs the question, what do the players do during training? If the training isn't producing results, has DA changed the format in any way? Or, are the players just not good enough?

Without calling any of the players journeymen or hopeless or any other insult to their chosen profession, these are men thwart have made a living playing football in a not too shabby standard so why are they having such a hard time producing anything of note? 9 shots on Saturday is a pretty crappy figure and only 2 on target suggests they are not practising in match conditions.

There is one other possibility. Do the players brought in this season and come to that retained from last season want to play for DA and PAFC? It wouldn't be the first time that players have come to us and practically refused to play even before the signatures dried. Emile Mpenza, Jason Puncheon and the notorious Peter Swann are three names that spring to mind and I'm sure everyone has more they can add. Players that were willing to pocket their wage whilst doing nothing of note (Mpenza might be forgiven but 3 goals in one game at £10000 a week we should have expected more).

So which is it? Ability or Character because I've seen little evidence of either up till now.

You are suggesting problems when there iarent any.

Yes everything is going exactly according to how everyone associated with Argyle would want. Nothing needs addressing, no questions need to be asked, let's just keep doing everything the same.

The powers that be and their tinted followers said the same thing in 1944 in Germany.

Crikey, Godwin's Law exhibit A

You've misunderstood the law. It applies when you are calling someone a Nazi or Hitler. My comparison was with regimes censoring all questioning and a refusal to allow any acknowledgement that all might not be right.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
So you were making a comparison??

Who exactly is censoring all questions about Argyle by the way? Or is it that someone is just disagreeing with you?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Daz":2bkmx9cz said:
So you were making a comparison??

Who exactly is censoring all questions about Argyle by the way? Or is it that someone is just disagreeing with you?

Think you've hit the nail on the head there Daz.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Mod team have received a complaint about your post MR Rich. The person has asked that you be banned indefinitely.

That will not be happening but please realise that comparisons to Hitler can arouse such responses.

By the way, Daz asked you a question, where's this censorship you talk of?

May 1, 2011
IJN":182z1wqu said:
The Mod team have received a complaint about your post MR Rich. The person has asked that you be banned indefinitely.

That will not be happening but please realise that comparisons to Hitler can arouse such responses.

By the way, Daz asked you a question, where's this censorship you talk of?

To the person that made this request if your sensibilities are offended then you only need message me privately and not go running to tell tales to a MOD, come on I assume we are all grown ups?

If you read my posts then at no point is any comparison made to Hitler of any poster or anyone linked to the club. It would be ridiculous to suggest that. My point was that in political situations like sporting ones people can be blind and fanatical and refuse to even discuss the possibility all might not be right, as shown through the poster 'There is nothing wrong.'

The fact that I was actually asked to be banned by one poster by making up a cause of self-righteous indignation is exactly what I'm talking about. What on earth would I be banned for? Saying something you don't like in a democracy? I'm not being racist, sexist or abusive.

To answer your question Daz and IJN, Pasoti itself is not trying as an organisation to censor posters but certain posters try to close down debate and argue points such as if you were a real supporter you wouldn't say such negative things, or Derek knows best so we shouldn't question him, or get behind the team and stop being negative when actually we are behind the team we are just raising valid concerns. There is a body of posters on here who see any questioning of the manager as not being a proper supporter, then then leads to the accusation that you aren't a real supporter. I could take offence at that and ask for these posters to be banned but that would also be ludicrous and yes people like me call these posters 'Green Tints.' To me unquestioning, unthinking support is no support at all. In dictatorships questioning is banned, hence the analogy, clumsy as it may have been,

Hope that explains it.

In case of any doubt I really want Argyle to win 5 nil on Saturday and cheer everyone up, including me.

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Ade the green":3szdc55d said:
Earlier this evening I watched MotD2 and one of the featured matches was the 0-0 between Chelsea and Arsenal. Wenger mentioned in his post match that they had worked an awful lot on their defensive line the past week after their capitulation last weekend and it certainly paid off. It got me thinking about Argyle's training atm moment or indeed since they reported back for Pre-season.

In hindsight we all know that goal scoring has been an issue and this is not something that should surprise anybody as during the PSFs it became apparent that we needed goals from somewhere. Then added to that, someone (sorry but I can't remember who) remarked how pre game practise there was something like 25-30 shots and only 3-4 hit the target, this being whilst there should not be any nerves or pressure. ...............

It was from the topic

What's the point? (shots on target)

argobenz":3szdc55d said:
What's the point in having pre game shooting practice when they aren't trying?

I deliberately made a point of watching the players doing the one two shot drills before the game. 26 goes where they hit the ball then take a return pass to finish with a shot on goal.

Stats:
26 attempts
14 off target
10 saved (Quite easily)
2 goals

Summary:
They are either not trying (If so what's the point?)
Or they are crap!

Maybe the coaching needs to be looked at?

I was at Bury last Saturday - and when Sarcevic was through on goal, instead of shooting, he tried to pass it to Ainsworth who was in a worse position, and it was cut out by the goalie.

My theory is that there is a good team spirit within the Argyle squad, which leads to passing between Argyle players when in front of goal - "after you Claude, .." "no, no, after you Cecil" - when what I want is someone to take responsibility, hit the bleeddy thing, and shoot (on target _ Not at the goalkeeper).

They should be encouraged to shoot, to be even be a bit more selfish ( rather than to keep on passing it across goal until Argyle loose possession) - and be encouraged that at least they had a go.