Akinfenwa | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Akinfenwa

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Metal_Green_Mickey":1kioq7zf said:
I think Coughlan in his prime against this guy would be a great tussle.

Nelson couldnt get near him for a standing jump header for the 2nd goal at HP. That worries me.

As for his impact. Well he turned the game in their favour at 1-1 at HP.

At 0-0, at kings meadow, he came on and turned the game. 2-0 down at Accrington he came on and again his influence on the pitch helped them back into the game.

I'm surprised if people don't see him as a game changer.

:iagree: Coughlan or Timar would do a job but underestimate him at your peril folks. He may well be the size of a tanker but he has the capability to hurt any team at this level.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Agreed pilgrimmike, Nelson was definitely 2nd best to Akinfenwa when he came on in our home game a few weeks ago.

I just hope we deal with him better than we did at Wembley when he no doubt comes on against us at some point.

C

Cobi Budge.

Lots of people laugh at Akinfenwa but frankly he's a decent player & he's been hurting teams in the lower leagues for years.

Important to start by saying he isn't fat or overweight (like McNulty or Parkin for example), he's very well built, 'an absolute tank' as I've heard him described as before.

For a big man, he's deceivingly quick, he strolls around at times making people (and defenders) assume that they can keep tabs on him, but he can dart, and it's that strolling that saves up his energy reserves, not to dissimilar to Reuben in that respect.

Watch some of his goals, not all of them are bundled headers at the back post, alongside being a quick 'darter', he's also got quick feet, able to turn and shoot in the box or get the ball out from under his feet without any warning.

And lastly, Akinfenwa doesn't even need to be on the ball (or near it) to cause problems, teams double up on him, taking two defenders out the game enabling someone like Azeez to enjoy more space (not dissimilar to what Brunt was doing for Carey earlier in the season).

I have faith in us to deal with him....but underestimate him at your peril.

Aug 15, 2015
The men to watch are Taylor, Barcham and Akinfewa. They are the dangermen who are effective. Barcham gives them pace out wide and he is capable of beating Mellor.

I don't think they have too much in midfield at all in terms of any real quality. Committed and spirited.

Mar 14, 2009
Shoenice":qaq6nviy said:
The men to watch are Taylor, Barcham and Akinfewa. They are the dangermen who are effective. Barcham gives them pace out wide and he is capable of beating Mellor.

I don't think they have too much in midfield at all in terms of any real quality. Committed and spirited.

What about Reeves? He seemed to be decent and seems to run direct with the ball. His run basically set up their 2nd goal at Accrington/

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
We will not just focus on this player if we do we will lose!

Wimbledon are a hard team to beat!

I'm sick and tired on hearing about the bloke to be fair he is just a ploy to knock out the other danger men don't fall for it!

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Hiscott":3c3ng3a5 said:
We will not just focus on this player if we do we will lose!

Wimbledon are a hard team to beat!

I'm sick and tired on hearing about the bloke to be fair he is just a ploy to knock out the other danger men don't fall for it!

Suggest you check out his goal scoring record. Not bad for a ploy. Give him half a chance he will take it. And you won't beat him in the air. Just try to win the 2nd ball.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":9shfc3ql said:
Shoenice":9shfc3ql said:

What about Reeves? He seemed to be decent and seems to run direct with the ball. His run basically set up their 2nd goal at Accrington/
His 50 yard (unchallenged) run also set up Lyle Taylor's opening goal at Home Park. See highlights on GoS.

Aug 15, 2015
Metal_Green_Mickey":132eyayo said:
Shoenice":132eyayo said:

I'm basing it on the first game of the season and the little bit I saw on the tele in the play-offs. They strike me as completely ordinary. I don't think they have a Graham Carey or even a Carl McHugh in their midfield, but I could be wrong. Seems to me they rely heavily on Taylor along with Akinfenwa and Barcham the other main threat. Lots of long balls and balls into the channels with a tendency to bypass the midfield. I reccon if we manage those three, we will be fine.

Jun 8, 2014
They have better players we need to be more worried about. Am trusting Adams to get preparation spot on here, mind.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Akinfenwa is lethal in the box, but useless away from it. If we play with a high back line he won't have the pace to break through.

May 19, 2016
Not sure i understand the obsession on here with Akinfenwa he is just one player in the Wimbledon team, whilst we should treat them with respect lets concentrate on our own strengths that we have and let them worry how they will deal with our power and skills. In what we trust will be a great game and our next step up the football league.