Another team called 'The Pilgrims' | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Another team called 'The Pilgrims'

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Don't know about you but it annoys me when, like in the Cup draw, they refer to Argyle as Plymouth. We are Plymouth Argyle and proud.

T

Tyhee_Slim

pilgrimage":2772im78 said:
Don't know about you but it annoys me when, like in the Cup draw, they refer to Argyle as Plymouth. We are Plymouth Argyle and proud.

Not as much as when some if our own fans call us Plymouth. No need for it to my way of thinking - just change the name of the club to Argyle FC. The city has never really got behind the club, a lot of the support comes from Cornwall, Devon and elsewhere, so it could truly be a club to represent the region.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":3cuosb7c said:
1. "The Cage" (Paul Hammond)
2. "The Shuffler" (Paddy Mulligan)
3. "Road Runner" (Tony Taylor)
4. "The Interceptor" (Nick Chatterton)
5. "Blockbuster" (Bobby Bell)
6. "Masterpieces" (Mel Blyth)
7 "The Card Shuffler" (Charlie Cook)
8. "The Sheriff" (Derek Posse)
9. "The Problem" (David Swindlehurst)
10."The Hustler" (Alan Whittle)
11. "Troublemaker" Don Rogers

Our Media Department would have fun with that on Twitter.

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Tyhee_Slim":34b19je6 said:
pilgrimage":34b19je6 said:

Not as much as when some if our own fans call us Plymouth. No need for it to my way of thinking - just change the name of the club to Argyle FC. The city has never really got behind the club, a lot of the support comes from Cornwall, Devon and elsewhere, so it could truly be a club to represent the region.
Sadly there's a lot of truth in what you say Tyhee but at the end of the day we are Plymouth Argyle, I suppose we could be classed as Plymouth and District Argyle but it does'nt have the same ring to it. Besides what would you end up calling Man u , Chelski or any club with numerous fans outside the clubs catchment area

T

Tyhee_Slim

Only joking really Mike. I do this one every now and again just to wind the Janners up.

Mind you...

Jul 21, 2013
pilgrimage":5f16j3ma said:
Don't know about you but it annoys me when, like in the Cup draw, they refer to Argyle as Plymouth.

Likewise. Got me intrigued now though, as to where the name 'Argyle' even originates from?

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
12thGreen":1sizjx3g said:
pilgrimage":1sizjx3g said:
Don't know about you but it annoys me when, like in the Cup draw, they refer to Argyle as Plymouth.

Likewise. Got me intrigued now though, as to where the name 'Argyle' even originates from?
Twas a name picked out of the air in a meeting of the founders back in 1886 according to the mighty GOS :nworthy: It was a choice between Pickwick or Argyle but whoever thought of Pickwick must have been smoking a pipe with funny stuff in the bowl :crazy: .It has nowt to do with Scotland or the Argyle and southerland highlanders. :thumbs:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Argyle Terrace was where the early meetings were held. Interesting that Big Mal was behind the Eagles change at Palace. I believe it was him who came up with the Mayflower theme. It first appeared on that iconic white shirt with the horizontal stripes. It was his hfirst season in charge that they started wearing it.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
pilgrimage":8wxbdfsc said:

I would't mind if they referred to us as "Plymouth Argyle" but they seem to drop the Argyle altogether. It makes us sound cheap and tacky, it's as if the big sports news stations really can't finish our name fast enough. Imagine the confusion if they started referring to Aston Villa as "Aston", Manchester United as Manchester or Queens Park Rangers as "QP"!

C

Cobi Budge.

Aren't they the club Steve Evans was prosecuted at whilst manager?

E

EK_Brighton

Tyhee_Slim":1k0405x5 said:
Cheers Lundan Cabbie, knew there was something in the Eagles/Seagulls thing but had forgotten the story. It's my age I think.

Dolphins eh? That's awful.

Dolphins? I grant you that it's not great, but come on, "the Glaziers" is arguably the worst nickname in the history of football :lol:

Correct about the origins of them both though. Palace- presumably having realised just how crap "the Glaziers" sounded- consulted the Big Book Of Impressive Creatures, and came up with something that, whilst having no connection whatsoever with Croydon, South London or even England, at least made them sound a little less like a rather dull High Street firm of window fitters.

The Seagulls thing came about as sort of an attempt on our part to annoy them in response. And you can't deny the appropriateness of it in our case, as there's an awful lot of shitehawks around our neck of the woods. Whereas the only eagle residing in the Croydon area is on the front of Barclays Bank in Thornton Heath.

T

Tyhee_Slim

EK_Brighton":2m02hb0o said:
Tyhee_Slim":2m02hb0o said:
Cheers Lundan Cabbie, knew there was something in the Eagles/Seagulls thing but had forgotten the story. It's my age I think.

Dolphins? I grant you that it's not great, but come on, "the Glaziers" is arguably the worst nickname in the history of football :lol:

Correct about the origins of them both though. Palace- presumably having realised just how crap "the Glaziers" sounded- consulted the Big Book Of Impressive Creatures, and came up with something that, whilst having no connection whatsoever with Croydon, South London or even England, at least made them sound a little less like a rather dull High Street firm of window fitters.

The Seagulls thing came about as sort of an attempt on our part to annoy them in response. And you can't deny the appropriateness of it in our case, as there's an awful lot of shitehawks around our neck of the woods. Whereas the only eagle residing in the Croydon area is on the front of Barclays Bank in Thornton Heath.

Good stuff mate!!

As it goes, I reckon a lot of these club nicknames were maybe made up by people outside the clubs, maybe the producers of football annuals and the like who just needed something to put in the 'nickname' space.

As I'm sort of confined to barracks (and a chair) for the moment I'm going to have a look into this. The modern, sterile, corporate bollux of football is such a load of old toss that it'll he good to escape to more innocent times (hmm, jumpers for goalposts isnt it, hmm?) It'll give me an excuse to behave like a seven year old again for an hour or two.

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
EK_Brighton":3a2o16ky said:
Tyhee_Slim":3a2o16ky said:

Good response :lol: maybe Palace should have gone to specsavers and called themselves the Pigeons then. :lol:

T

Tyhee_Slim

Tyhee_Slim":h1m8suf1 said:
EK_Brighton":h1m8suf1 said:
Tyhee_Slim":h1m8suf1 said:

Good stuff mate!! Yeah, Glaziers is awful, but I think Wycombe's 'Chairboys' is worse. And you have to feel a bit sorry for Fulham dontcha? I'm sure 'The Cottagers' didn't have quite the same connotation when they thought of it.

As it goes, I reckon a lot of these club nicknames were maybe made up by people outside the clubs, maybe the producers of football annuals and the like who just needed something to put in the 'nickname' space.

As I'm sort of confined to barracks (and a chair) for the moment I'm going to have a look into this. The modern, sterile, corporate bollux of football is such a load of old toss that it'll he good to escape to more innocent times (hmm, jumpers for goalposts isnt it, hmm?) It'll give me an excuse to behave like a seven year old again for an hour or two.