Another team called 'The Pilgrims' | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Another team called 'The Pilgrims'

T

Tyhee_Slim

memory man":2m0ex3vx said:
Argyle Terrace was where the early meetings were held. Interesting that Big Mal was behind the Eagles change at Palace. I believe it was him who came up with the Mayflower theme. It first appeared on that iconic white shirt with the horizontal stripes. It was his hfirst season in charge that they started wearing it.

Yes, our strip was all white with a green and black chestband (or 'circlet' as it used to be called in the programme). At Crystal Palace it was all white with the red and blue diagonal strip. I think that Malcolm Allison may also have been responsible for a similar design in Manchester City's away strip at some point - all white with, I think, a red and black diagonal thingie - but I think that even someone with an ego the size of Big Mal's knew better than to mess with City's iconic sky blue home kit. Perhaps the chairman of Cardiff may care to bear that in mind.

I think some of these changes to predominantly white kits were inspired by Don Revie's decision to change the traditional blue and yellow of Leeds United to all white in the early sixties, the idea being that Leeds would become England's answer to the all conquering Real Madrid who had just won five consecutive European Cups.

Allison also tried a similar thing at Man City before the introduction of the white away kit, bringing in the red and black stripes in which they won the FA Cup in '69 and the Cup Winners' Cup a year later - though this was more an attempt to emulate the great Milan team of the time rather than Real Madrid.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tyhee_Slim":24fr6z2z said:
memory man":24fr6z2z said:
Argyle Terrace was where the early meetings were held. Interesting that Big Mal was behind the Eagles change at Palace. I believe it was him who came up with the Mayflower theme. It first appeared on that iconic white shirt with the horizontal stripes. It was his hfirst season in charge that they started wearing it.

Yes, our strip was all white with a green and black chestband (or 'circlet' as it used to be called in the programme). At Crystal Palace it was all white with the red and blue diagonal strip. I think that Malcolm Allison may also have been responsible for a similar design in Manchester City's away strip at some point - all white with, I think, a red and black diagonal thingie - but I think that even someone with an ego the size of Big Mal's knew better than to mess with City's iconic sky blue home kit. Perhaps the chairman of Cardiff may care to bear that in mind.

The red n blue diagonal sash on white first appeared in the FA Cup run in 1976 when Palace went to the semis as a Third Division club and you're right, it was a Big Mal initiative. The following season it became the second strip. Later under Terry Venables it was announced that players found it difficult to pick out team-mates in the dark red and blue kit and the white with the sash became the home strip.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Tyhee_Slim":1tr7t5ba said:
And who else, like me, likes the Scottish club nicknames which just seem much more quirky and strange like 'The Bully Wee' (Clyde), 'The Gable Endies' (Montrose), and 'The Honest Men' (Ayr Utd). These are all old, established ones with stories behind them, but there are also newer, fan inspired ones like my favourite 'The Blue Brazil' which Cowdenbeath fans bestowed on their their team with great irony.

http://terracepodcast.net/misc/2013/9/9 ... nking-12-1