Argyle Fans' Trust Chairman’s Update # 8 31/07/16 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Fans' Trust Chairman’s Update # 8 31/07/16

Oct 24, 2010
argyledad":2tsgs6gj said:
The kit choice was subject to a great deal of fan involement this year esmer from the AFT, PACSA, PASALB, the Vice Presidents Cub and other invited fans. The home kit has generally been received favourably, while the away kit is proving incredibly popular.
Would you know if the manager was consulted

Dec 21, 2010
Graham, it is certainly not meant as a flippant remark. As I am not the membership secretary, I therefore have no idea who C G is. As regards AFT Board meetings, since the February meeting you refer to, further full board meetings have taken place on 9th April, 6th May and 1st July. Our next scheduled meeting is on 20th August. Again I am not the secretary, but I will check as to the availability of the minutes for those meetings. Not a bad record Andy, when you consider that the board only met once or possibly twice in the year before I was elected chair. At the point I assumed the chair, I also assumed a debt incurred by the previous board for sponsoring the Poppy shirts. This the newly elected board have been trying to pay off for the last 18 months. Again I am not the treasurer, but a full update will be available at the next AGM. As ever as Graham and Andy know only too well, it is a question of willing bodies. Everybody has an opinion, but few people are willing to give up their time to support the AFT physically.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
At the point I assumed the chair, I also assumed a debt incurred by the previous board for sponsoring the Poppy shirts

I sincerely hope, for your sake Bob, that you haven't been right royally shafted!

Sep 6, 2006
Camelford Green":33ak3ts3 said:
argyledad":33ak3ts3 said:
Maybe my friend because the AFT Board, in common with many other bodies, take time out over the Summer. This issue is still topical, as seen in last Thursday's full page article in the Herald by AFT member Danis Salman, and will be discussed at our first board meeting of the season on 20th of this month.

I'm sorry - that is a wholly inadequate response. I know of no other body, particularly a lobbying one, that takes two solid months out over the summer without at least retaining the ability to respond timeously to breaking significant situations. Other Trusts, as I said, have managed to make statements, pressure their clubs and organise actions. That the AFT Board hasn't even discussed the EFL Trophy reforms, and doesn't plan to until 20 August, is outrageous - and suggests that either it doesn't understand the significance of the issue, or is indifferent to it.

The idea that the Board can't coordinate a statement by email, or come up with a workable strategy in two months, is ridiculous. As is the fact that no one has updated the Trust Twitter account since February. It is increasingly apparent that the Trust has little interest in engaging with the membership, or playing a role in the wider supporters' movement, and is content instead to play pat-ball with Martyn Starnes.

I'm member 002. I've been a member from the start. But this is the last straw. In sorrow, I'm out.

Seems a bit of an over reaction regarding a mickey mouse cup which nobody really cares about anyway. What difference would it make if the Trust made a stand on this issue?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Balham_Green":3v9cq7mx said:
Camelford Green":3v9cq7mx said:
argyledad":3v9cq7mx said:
Maybe my friend because the AFT Board, in common with many other bodies, take time out over the Summer. This issue is still topical, as seen in last Thursday's full page article in the Herald by AFT member Danis Salman, and will be discussed at our first board meeting of the season on 20th of this month.

I'm sorry - that is a wholly inadequate response. I know of no other body, particularly a lobbying one, that takes two solid months out over the summer without at least retaining the ability to respond timeously to breaking significant situations. Other Trusts, as I said, have managed to make statements, pressure their clubs and organise actions. That the AFT Board hasn't even discussed the EFL Trophy reforms, and doesn't plan to until 20 August, is outrageous - and suggests that either it doesn't understand the significance of the issue, or is indifferent to it.

The idea that the Board can't coordinate a statement by email, or come up with a workable strategy in two months, is ridiculous. As is the fact that no one has updated the Trust Twitter account since February. It is increasingly apparent that the Trust has little interest in engaging with the membership, or playing a role in the wider supporters' movement, and is content instead to play pat-ball with Martyn Starnes.

I'm member 002. I've been a member from the start. But this is the last straw. In sorrow, I'm out.

Seems a bit of an over reaction regarding a mickey mouse cup which nobody really cares about anyway. What difference would it make if the Trust made a stand on this issue?

Do you have to be so antagonistic BG? CG has valid concerns about the trust, which he is directing to the Trust chair. Why get involved?

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
argyledad":3fznjb8l said:
Graham, it is certainly not meant as a flippant remark. As I am not the membership secretary, I therefore have no idea who C G is. As regards AFT Board meetings, since the February meeting you refer to, further full board meetings have taken place on 9th April, 6th May and 1st July. Our next scheduled meeting is on 20th August. Again I am not the secretary, but I will check as to the availability of the minutes for those meetings. Not a bad record Andy, when you consider that the board only met once or possibly twice in the year before I was elected chair. At the point I assumed the chair, I also assumed a debt incurred by the previous board for sponsoring the Poppy shirts. This the newly elected board have been trying to pay off for the last 18 months. Again I am not the treasurer, but a full update will be available at the next AGM. As ever as Graham and Andy know only too well, it is a question of willing bodies. Everybody has an opinion, but few people are willing to give up their time to support the AFT physically.

A good chairman every ones fault but mine.

Jan 3, 2013
dunlop":2kxhm8nj said:
argyledad":2kxhm8nj said:

A good chairman every ones fault but mine.

So true

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
PL2 3DQ":6ju9b06b said:
argyledad":6ju9b06b said:
The EFL Trophy is on the agenda for our next Board meeting on 20th August.

Two months too late. Nevermind.
This, with knobs on.

I have written to the Trust Secretary to express my views; far too late though it is, I suggest others do likewise so that there can be no doubt that the fans are against BTeams.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Just to add my penny's worth, while the voluntary nature of work on the AFT Board is appreciated, there are some issues which are fundamental to the AFT, indeed are its main reason for being. This includes the PL diluting the environment in which we play football; this process of undermining is happening now though the EFL Trophy shenanigans, and the AFT Board simply should have been across this.

As for the finance issue, as I remarked at the time, doing stuff so far outside the remit of the AFT was dangerous and inappropriate.

So, in a sense, the AFT had failed in its two most basic remits - a critical eye on the club and ensuring its own survival. However, I think it is fantastic that the Trust still has 1000 or so members, with well over 800 adult paying members; that is testament to its work in an ownership environment where the icebergs lurk over the horizon. This episode does show a need for non stop vigilance and sticking to what it exists to do.

Dec 21, 2010
The Royal British Legion shirt sponsorship for season 2014 – 2015 was an initiative taken by the previous board. Only one member of that board remained in season 2015 - 2016. This initiative was never supported by AFT membership donations. Rather, funds were raised by selling the added value of the Club sponsorship package, fundraising events and donations to the "Shirt Pot". The outstanding balance owed to one individual is £1,500. The position of the current board is that while we did not agree to the terms set out in this agreement and were not party to it, we still feel that there is an AFT Board obligation to try and make good these payments. Again, any further repayment of this remaining sum will not be made using subscriptions from our membership, which last season topped over one thousand members. Indeed the underwriters remain committed to the AFT and have agreed to wipe out £50 of this debt for every new member we manage to attract.

Aug 5, 2016
Is the Trust even a Trust any more? In the real sense of the word, compared to the Trust structures other clubs have in place.

It just seems like a thorough waste of time. The only things I ever seem to read is Parish Council newsletter type stuff, such as raising a hundred quid for this or that, or volunteers painting a wall. It's been Vicar of Dibley stuff for a long period of time.

To have sat idly and missed the concentrated fans' backlash to what is clearly the start of Premier League B teams infiltrating lower league competitions is quite shocking.

By the time the Trust will have even discussed it, let alone consulted members, Premier League clubs will have already played several games. Talk about missing the boat with that one.

Can any trust figure remind me what is the remit of the Trust, and how they have worked to represent supporters here? The thread regarding Premier League teams in the JPT has been just about Pasoti's longest running, busiest thread of the summer. Not knowing what a huge issue it was going to be would be a feeble excuse.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Perhaps this Trust could try to gain some benefit from the £330,000 that the previous Trust had built up.

That's if anyone knows what happened to it, after all, it was supposed to have been protected as a "football debt" in the liquidation.

Would kit out a great Green Taveners venue would £330,000, but seems to have vanished somewhere...