Argyle reserves at bickleigh barracks. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle reserves at bickleigh barracks.

I dont see anything about this anywhere on here so heres the link.
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Argyle- ... story.html
Gutted as i was hoping to go and watch some games but bickleigh is out of range for me now i have no car.
I assume the marines are still there so passes required at the guardhouse to get in?
Some away games deep into bandit country for the cornish argyles. The u18s played a friendly
at lux park(liskeard) recently and won 6-2 so maybe plenty of goals and attacking football to enjoy.

Feb 9, 2013
There may be some misunderstandings regarding the new team Argyle are entering in the South West Peninsula League next season.
Whilst it may be possible for senior professionals and apprentices to play in this new team, in practice, for very practical reasons, I suspect the majority of regular players in the team are likely to be the 16/18-year-olds enrolled on the two-year Education Scheme run by the Argyle Community Trust.
Most Saturdays John Sheridan is likely to need the vast majority of the senior squad to be required for first team duty. Most weekends, perhaps, at most, no more than two or three professionals are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
Similarly, most weekends Kevin Hodges may be using the majority of the apprentices in the Academy's Football League Youth Alliance fixtures, so perhaps only a small number of apprentices are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
In the circumstances, in time the title 'Argyle Reserves' may be seen to be a bit of a misnomer.

gordon bennett":2tp2lf67 said:
There may be some misunderstandings regarding the new team Argyle are entering in the South West Peninsula League next season.
Whilst it may be possible for senior professionals and apprentices to play in this new team, in practice, for very practical reasons, I suspect the majority of regular players in the team are likely to be the 16/18-year-olds enrolled on the two-year Education Scheme run by the Argyle Community Trust.
Most Saturdays John Sheridan is likely to need the vast majority of the senior squad to be required for first team duty. Most weekends, perhaps, at most, no more than two or three professionals are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
Similarly, most weekends Kevin Hodges may be using the majority of the apprentices in the Academy's Football League Youth Alliance fixtures, so perhaps only a small number of apprentices are likely to be made available for selection in this new team.
In the circumstances, in time the title 'Argyle Reserves' may be seen to be a bit of a misnomer.

Yes gordon, i would expect the team to be a mish/mash of available players depending on game dates and ko times etc. Very little chance of a settled side i would have thought.
As for the title "argyle reserves" thats what they have entered as, so thats why i used the term.
As you know lots about yoof stuff I would be very interested in your views as to why argyle youth have seemingly stopped producing players of the required calibre these last few years?
I really fear for the future of producing our own players if this carries on indeed it is one of the reasons stated
for us entering this team into the SWPL.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
When I first started to go to Argyle in 1958 the South Western side played their home games on a Monday evening at Home Park. I think that was the case well into the 60s. It gave the manager a chance to see the younger players, trialists and any first teamers returning from injury. Okay, there was a reserve side too but anyone edging back from serious injury started back in the third team. Long time ago but I really enjoyed going - it was free with my season ticket and more interesting than homework.

memory man":rues8buc said:
When I first started to go to Argyle in 1958 the South Western side played their home games on a Monday evening at Home Park. I think that was the case well into the 60s. It gave the manager a chance to see the younger players, trialists and any first teamers returning from injury. Okay, there was a reserve side too but anyone edging back from serious injury started back in the third team. Long time ago but I really enjoyed going - it was free with my season ticket and more interesting than homework.

Yeh. I remember watching western league games at HP. Welton rovers is one that springs to mind. Cant seem to put a date on it though.
Late 60s we had a third team i think but i remember an exschoolmate called dave pook trialling in a game and that must have been late 70s so not sure. Oh for your memory MM.
Most games i saw were the combination games. That youth side of 75 used to play all the reserve games and they were really good.
Bobby howe was the coach and kev hodges who came from bournemouth with him was one of many who made it professionaly from that team.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
From the SWPL website regarding public entry:

"It is just inside the gate entry (although you can see the pitch without entering, through a wire fence!)

Entry procedures are being worked on, a meeting between the MOD, the league and Plymouth Argyle has already taken place and the security orders are being re-worded by the MOD, they will then be given to Argyle to put into place on a practical basis and will be monitored by the league.

Closer to the time of them actually playing a home game we will advertise what has been agreed and also monitor it once they start playing matches."

Apr 30, 2011
gordon bennett":17u34on5 said:

Those players played in the Devon Wednesday League a few years back and struggled. If they are still of a similar standard then they will get torn apart at this level.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Fat_green_belly":3t67kwxx said:
gordon bennett":3t67kwxx said:

Yes gordon, i would expect the team to be a mish/mash of available players depending on game dates and ko times etc. Very little chance of a settled side i would have thought.
As for the title "argyle reserves" thats what they have entered as, so thats why i used the term.
As you know lots about yoof stuff I would be very interested in your views as to why argyle youth have seemingly stopped producing players of the required calibre these last few years?
I really fear for the future of producing our own players if this carries on indeed it is one of the reasons stated
for us entering this team into the SWPL.

The South West Peninsula League is basically a Saturday afternoon league.

In the Western (and Eastern) divisions a small number of clubs have lights so there could be the odd midweek game or Friday evening game.

In the Premier division most clubs have lights. There is a league cup so if Argyle were drawn away to someone like Parkway, Elburton, Ivybridge, Saltash, Torpoint etc there could be an evening game.

Jan 23, 2009
With the finances being needed and available to strengthen the 1st team squad for another promotion attempt, how many additional players are going to be needed to also field a reserve team in the SW Peninsula League ? Just wondering where the money is going to come from to sustain this.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
A real shame that Argyle have entered a team and then play their games in a random location. Bit of a joke to other swp league clubs. With Argyle needing all the money they can get you would think that playing at home park on maybe Monday nights or alternate Saturdays would give the club much needed income. Entering a side to play in a competitive league and almost do it with very little thought is very disappointing. They withdrew a few years ago because they couldn't be bothered with it anymore now. If I was running the Swpl I'm not sure I would have let Argyle re enter a side with very little organised.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I believe Argyle tried to make ground-sharing arrangements with several local SWPL clubs but were unable to do so.

The League were "ham-strung" to some degree as the application by Plymouth Argyle "Reserves" was to fill a vacancy in the current structure, which is permissible under FA regulations, rather than by promotion through the normal feeder-league system. If the League had turned down the application Argyle would have appealed to the FA who would almost certainly have overturned the decision.

There is of course a perfectly good pitch at Home Park but as the U18s are only allowed use of it for FA Youth Cup games there's no way this so-called "reserve" team would be allowed to use it.

I'm not convinced that this arrangement will provide the young professionals / fringe squad players with the required standard of football, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I hear that Argyle failed to send a representative to the SWPL AGM held earlier this week, an ideal opportunity to "meet & greet" people they'll be working with next season.

And still nothing on the baggo.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
David_Fisher":178b6g9q said:
I hear that Argyle failed to send a representative to the SWPL AGM held earlier this week, an ideal opportunity to "meet & greet" people they'll be working with next season.

And still nothing on the baggo.

Typical of how how Argyle have treated the local leagues over the years, what is the betting they will pull out halfway through the season or they start the season.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
In the late 60s the SWL home matches used to be played on a Tuesday evening under lights at Home Park i can remember playing against Paul Barron,Cliff Jackson,George Foster, Richard Reynolds and many others who were coming back from injuries, very few of the fist team squad played in the away matches as they were played on Saturdays