Argyle sign Graham Carey | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle sign Graham Carey

Aug 5, 2009
memory man":txg5002b said:
Let us hope Carey is given the number 11 shirt, one that has seen some particularly good and exciting players over the years. Starting with Sammy Black it was passed down through the generations to the likes of Alex Govan, Harry Penk, Ken Maloy (on his good days), Nicky Jennings, Alan Rogers, Don Hutchins, Hugh McAuley, Andy Rogers, Paul Dalton, Tony Capaldi and Peter Halmosi.

....and Dominic blizzard

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
memory man":3ezefqwi said:
Let us hope Carey is given the number 11 shirt, one that has seen some particularly good and exciting players over the years. Starting with Sammy Black it was passed down through the generations to the likes of Alex Govan, Harry Penk, Ken Maloy (on his good days), Nicky Jennings, Alan Rogers, Don Hutchins, Hugh McAuley, Andy Rogers, Paul Dalton, Tony Capaldi and Peter Halmosi.

I thought halmosi and capacity were 14, I'm going to divorce my memory

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Just as pundits and commentators speak every week about "the number 10 role", not all the players they speak about play in that shirt number. It is an historical reference to the way numbering was. Similarly, centre forwards are often referred to as "a typical number 9" though the may well play in any shirt from 2-50. So my reference to the 11 shirt was an historical one associated with people who played wide left, a time when the shirt worn matched the position played. Most people of my generation would recognise what I meant. It was not until 1999 that squad numbering in the three Football League divisions became compulsory! Until then it was strictly 1 to 11, numbers which historically referred to a position on the field. Indeed, on 5 Dec 1959, for a home game against Bristol Rovers, Harry Penk wore the 7 shirt (always the outside right) and Peter Anderson wore the 11 shirt (always the outside left). At the kick-off Penk lined up on the left and Anderson on the right. The referee was not impressed and warned manager Jack Rowley afterwards that it should not be allowed to happen again. Incidentally, for a game which saw Argyle battling against relegation, 16,675 turned out on a cold November afternoon - something else consigned to the history books!!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
There is still a bit of historical numbering (August 1928 was the first time numbers appeared in an English Football League game) in the current squad with Mellor in the 2, Purrington in the 3 and Nelson in the 5, all shirts associated with the ancient reference to their position. Similarly Cox in number 4 was associated with the old right half position, now more like an RCM position. But apart from all that, this lad Carey looks as if he could be the business whatever shirt he wears.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
HarlHM":3q7xcqyy said:
pafcstafford":3q7xcqyy said:
HarlHM":3q7xcqyy said:
Something else which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned:

This signing also allows us to play 3 at the back, with Carey & Mellor as wing-backs.

It's certainly good to at least have the option of it -- I can't see McHugh and Hartley playing in the same side otherwise. Both really should be starting every game at this level.

I've don't think its impossible for them to play together, no-one ever mentions it if we were to play two right footed centre backs so why should being left footed matter any more if it works and they feel comfortable? Obviously a right and left is what people desire but if your best two options happen to both be left footed so what.
I expected that.

In a 2, left-footed centre backs will have played 99% of their games growing up, at least, as the left centre back. Right-footers have far more experience on the unnatural side as there are obviously a lot more of them.

You just don't see it and likely never will. It'd be awkward. Plus, Nelson's RCB.

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that Nelson might play as a defensive midfielder this season in a 4-2-3-1 formation:

Mellor, McHugh, Harltey, Sawyer

Nelson, Cox

??? Carey Wylde

Reid/Jervis

Note that McHugh often played as the central defender in a back 3 last season so he has some experience of playing further over than usual.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The Doctor":2f5id2ip said:
For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that Nelson might play as a defensive midfielder this season in a 4-2-3-1 formation:

Nelson, Cox

??? Carey Wylde

Reid/Jervis

Note that McHugh often played as the central defender in a back 3 last season so he has some experience of playing further over than usual.

Yet It was always McHugh who gave way when switching from a 3 to a 2. Can't see that situation changing.

More midfielders required in my opinion.

Feb 8, 2005
Mark Pedlar":17i12nda said:
The Doctor":17i12nda said:

Nelson, Cox

??? Carey Wylde

Reid/Jervis

Yet It was always McHugh who gave way when switching from a 3 to a 2. Can't see that situation changing.

That was because of his knee injury. He was taken off because of the change in formation, but also due to preserving his knee for the next game.

Jun 18, 2015
jimsing":1e0kjg2p said:
Mark Pedlar":1e0kjg2p said:
The Doctor":1e0kjg2p said:

Nelson, Cox

??? Carey Wylde

Reid/Jervis

That was because of his knee injury. He was taken off because of the change in formation, but also due to preserving his knee for the next game.
How can anyone not want Mchugh in the starting line up. Hes our best center back we have and is only going to get better with age. The guys a rock at the back and as the previous poster said he was taken off as a precaution as he was carrying an injury. The guy is pure class and my favorite player at this club. But we are blessed to have 3 excellent center backs at this level.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
there won't be many on here that remember dear old Buggsy....he was cr@p with a capital CR...but he became a fans favourite nevertheless because he was so poor. The guy couldn't trap a bag of wet cement yet alone a football. Absolute rubbish yet the crowd loved him....

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
oddball":2ax0g4ej said:
there won't be many on here that remember dear old Buggsy....he was cr@p with a capital CR...but he became a fans favourite nevertheless because he was so poor. The guy couldn't trap a bag of wet cement yet alone a football. Absolute rubbish yet the crowd loved him....
A player that runs around all game like a headless chicken goes down as a legend to some Argyle fans

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Steve.PAFC2012":17sw5548 said:
oddball":17sw5548 said:
A player that runs around all game like a headless chicken goes down as a legend to some Argyle fans

I think Memory Man and myself have a slightly higher opinion of Buggsy's effectiveness than your goodself. He was unorthodox but Argyle had strikers in that team who appreciated his ability to put in telling crosses.