Argyle to appoint marketing manager | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle to appoint marketing manager

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Still sounds perfect for you though. Something to do between golf games and world travel.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Take it from me, it doesn't appeal. I love being retired.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
If the new refurbished grandstand is to offer conferencing facilities, such an appointment is a must. I hope the new marketing manager to be, can earn his corn effectively in the period before all the new facilities are available.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Not before time. I am an enthusiastic supporter of the Brent regime but I have felt for a long time that this is an area where there is plenty of room for improvement

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PL2 3DQ":32rj87q0 said:
Sounds good.

The club currently have a policy of only honouring former players and managers who pased away during the season in the final game of the season.
I hope the person in this new role ensures the policy is changed to allow fans to pay tribute in the next game following a death.

Last season we had to wait several months to pay tribute to some former heroes including Russell Coughlin.
Could not agree more. In light of the many things the new regime has got right, the lack of immediate tributes has been a real shortfall. Furthermore, in recent months I have seen two of our former players get full page obituaries in the programme of a club where each of them played less games than at Argyle.

Apr 13, 2017
What is with the football fan and 'paying respects?' I've never understood it!

The club policy of honouring former players/fans at the end of the season is great. Otherwise, such is the fashion of conspicuous compassion, you'd be having one every week.

Also, where's your cut off?! Players who have played more than 100 games? Some well loved players would miss out on that criteria. But then if you lower it, you have even more silences/applause sessions.

It's a football match, not a funeral.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
GreenObserver":1sh29k8l said:

The club policy of honouring former players/fans at the end of the season is great. Otherwise, such is the fashion of conspicuous compassion, you'd be having one every week.

Also, where's your cut off?! Players who have played more than 100 games? Some well loved players would miss out on that criteria. But then if you lower it, you have even more silences/applause sessions.

I could be banned for life for saying what I'm thinking!

:wave:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
NkU89.gif

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
That's essentially a sales role not a marketing one, as the toughest task is the last one listed.

Do all the sleeves-rolled stuff a current face of the club doesn't oversee or make happen at all well. Not easy.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreenObserver":2fa535g1 said:

Let me explain young man (I assume you are with that attitude).

Let's say one of our legends died. Say a car accident on August 18th.

Because of a stupid (in my opinion) idea, we have to wait until May to give him a minutes applause!!

As Steve said a few earlier, we (Argyle fans) lost Russel Coughlin, we don't mention him, then a few days after that, we go to Carlisle, where he played far less games, and they almost dedicate a programme to him?????

Hope you understand it a bit clearer now, but somehow I doubt it.

Apr 13, 2017
IJN":gpcxh4gq said:
GreenObserver":gpcxh4gq said:

Let me explain young man (I assume you are with that attitude).

Let's say one of our legends died. Say a car accident on August 18th.

Because of a stupid (in my opinion) idea, we have to wait until May to give him a minutes applause!!

As Steve said a few earlier, we (Argyle fans) lost Russel Coughlin, we don't mention him, then a few days after that, we go to Carlisle, where he played far less games, and they almost dedicate a programme to him?????

Hope you understand it a bit clearer now, but somehow I doubt it.

Let me explain to you, slightly older man (for I assume from your attitude that is what you are)

If a legend was taken from us in August, there would be a write up in the programme at the next home game and probably an obituary on the OS. But an ex player or a popular fan will sadly pass on every week. Do you think it's appropriate to hold a silence/applause at every single home game? Even the most pious amongst us will object to that. It would take away the meaning of it.

And, like I said earlier, who deserves a silence? What's the criteria? One silence, once a season for all fallen Pilgrims is far more fair to all, far more appropriate to a football match and gives individuals the chance to use it to remember a Dad or a grandad, or someone close to them who may have passed on during the season.

Conspicuous compassion is very popular, especially in the age of social media. Everyone must be seen to be sad about the latest. Mostly, people genuinely are sad but feel that they must post a Facebook status or go to a vigi, not because that's what they feel is the right thing to do but because if they don't, it will look like they don't care.

Football is rife with it. Black armbands for this, songs in the X minute for that and then faux outrage when Chelsea forget to do it! My memory is hazy but I don't remember many or these public outpourings of respect at matches during the 1990s.

Your reply to me was patronising and my retort was equally so, but really it's not a question of age or generation. It's a difference of opinion on what should be part of the match day experience and what should not be. In mine, regular minutes silence/applause should not be and the club, who don't always get it right, have it spot on.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I agree about fans, but it's a dangerous line to go down with regard to players (which was my point and I think yours).

I can't remember (as examples) Russel Coughlin and Alex Govan bing given a minutes silence. It's my opinion that was poor, certainly both captured the imagination of the Argyle crowd at the time of them playing. Should they really be lumped in with all the Pilgrims (fans and players) that have passed at the end of the season?

Would giving them the (deserved) respect of today's Argyle fans really have caused a problem?

Sorry, I don't get it and from speaking to other people, they don't either.

To my mind it lacks respect and is also not the best of PR for our club.