Argyle to appoint marketing manager | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle to appoint marketing manager

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
GreenObserver":2tu14w2m said:
IJN":2tu14w2m said:
GreenObserver":2tu14w2m said:
What is with the football fan and 'paying respects?' I've never understood it!

The club policy of honouring former players/fans at the end of the season is great. Otherwise, such is the fashion of conspicuous compassion, you'd be having one every week.

Also, where's your cut off?! Players who have played more than 100 games? Some well loved players would miss out on that criteria. But then if you lower it, you have even more silences/applause sessions.

It's a football match, not a funeral.

Let me explain young man (I assume you are with that attitude).

Let's say one of our legends died. Say a car accident on August 18th.

Because of a stupid (in my opinion) idea, we have to wait until May to give him a minutes applause!!

As Steve said a few earlier, we (Argyle fans) lost Russel Coughlin, we don't mention him, then a few days after that, we go to Carlisle, where he played far less games, and they almost dedicate a programme to him?????

Hope you understand it a bit clearer now, but somehow I doubt it.

Let me explain to you, slightly older man (for I assume from your attitude that is what you are)

If a legend was taken from us in August, there would be a write up in the programme at the next home game and probably an obituary on the OS. But an ex player or a popular fan will sadly pass on every week. Do you think it's appropriate to hold a silence/applause at every single home game? Even the most pious amongst us will object to that. It would take away the meaning of it.

And, like I said earlier, who deserves a silence? What's the criteria? One silence, once a season for all fallen Pilgrims is far more fair to all, far more appropriate to a football match and gives individuals the chance to use it to remember a Dad or a grandad, or someone close to them who may have passed on during the season.

Conspicuous compassion is very popular, especially in the age of social media. Everyone must be seen to be sad about the latest. Mostly, people genuinely are sad but feel that they must post a Facebook status or go to a vigi, not because that's what they feel is the right thing to do but because if they don't, it will look like they don't care.

Football is rife with it. Black armbands for this, songs in the X minute for that and then faux outrage when Chelsea forget to do it! My memory is hazy but I don't remember many or these public outpourings of respect at matches during the 1990s.

Your reply to me was patronising and my retort was equally so, but really it's not a question of age or generation. It's a difference of opinion on what should be part of the match day experience and what should not be. In mine, regular minutes silence/applause should not be and the club, who don't always get it right, have it spot on.
Without wishing to get involved in a prolonged debate, I do agree with your viewpoint. There may be exceptional circumstances that would normally be readily apparent.

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":2mgghz1g said:
I agree about fans, but it's a dangerous line to go down with regard to players (which was my point and I think yours).

I can't remember (as examples) Russel Coughlin and Alex Govan bing given a minutes silence. It's my opinion that was poor, certainly both captured the imagination of the Argyle crowd at the time of them playing. Should they really be lumped in with all the Pilgrims (fans and players) that have passed at the end of the season?

Would giving them the (deserved) respect of today's Argyle fans really have caused a problem?

Sorry, I don't get it and from speaking to other people, they don't either.

To my mind it lacks respect and is also not the best of PR for our club.

This is a first......I totally agree with you ian