Argyle to join the Central League - confirmed | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle to join the Central League - confirmed

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I genuinely don't know what the central league is, have never heard of it, can someone shed some light for me?

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Argyle 2017/18 Central League ---------- iCal/Android Fixture List....

iOS

As people with different versions of Android had issues last time, here is a few links, one of them should work for you.

Android 1

Android 2

Android 3

(Bloody Android! :lol: :lol: )

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
It's a league for reserve teams. It saves us using first-teamers that didn't play in league games or those returning from injury and needing match practice in the local leagues with the kids. It also allows more kids to be blooded in men's football and allows the kids more access to competitive games in the SWPL as the squad won't be full of first teamers looking for match time.

Good move all round.

Feb 28, 2016
Cobi Budge":2tyxcck3 said:
I genuinely don't know what the central league is, have never heard of it, can someone shed some light for me?

I'm pretty sure it's what we were in a few seasons ago when for sponsorship reasons it was called the Final Third Development League. I could be wrong but I think there was a cap on the number of players over a certain age, you could play in it (23?!) seems to ring a bell.

Has to be a priority fixture for: Rooney, Battle and Taylor first and foremost then Rose, Bentley and Fletcher if they aren't out on loan and not off involved in the first team.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
Looking at the Reserve records for the 40s 50s 60s we played in the Football Combination against all the southern clubs, but never Exeter or Torquay. The furthest north clubs we played were Birmingham, Northampton and Mansfield and occasionally the Nottingham clubs.
However never against Villa or the Yorkshire/Lancashire clubs and further north. Many, if not all of those were in the Central League, considered to be a strong league.
In those days Argyle Reserves were a force to be reckoned with and competed well with the likes of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. But I think they might also have had a London Combination league too.
Some of us oldies will remember watching Spurs Reserves with 2 or 3 first team 'stars' at Home Park, coming back after injury. This was a common occurrence.

Aug 3, 2017
Anyone still unsure what the Central League is can find more info about it on Wikipedia...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Central_League

In short, it's better for our fringe and development players because the quality is, for the most part, much higher than SWL games. You are talking about clubs proper reserve teams playing. So you may get a game against a pro with 100 games to his name in the league.

I agree with Mark Pedlar. This move may actually create a coherent development programme for the younger players and a better recovery programme for the injured. Certainly a good step all round.

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Definite upgrade in quality opposition for the squad players.
Better the opponents more you learn.
Another reason to see the Renaissance of The Argyle from the dark days. :thumbs:

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Good stuff. I wonder what entry prices will be for home games? I seem to remember getting into reserve games for nothing in the Holloway era. Wouldn't begrudge a few quid now.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Mark Pedlar":3bqayg4e said:
It's a league for reserve teams. It saves us using first-teamers that didn't play in league games or those returning from injury and needing match practice in the local leagues with the kids. It also allows more kids to be blooded in men's football and allows the kids more access to competitive games in the SWPL as the squad won't be full of first teamers looking for match time.

Good move all round.

:iagree:

Also, last season trialists were allowed to play in the Central League, so if it's the same for this season it's an added bonus, especially before the January transfer window opens or if a free agent before September is looking for a club.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Lets hope that season ticket holders are rewarded with free entry to home games!