Argyle vs Chelski (Original thread) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle vs Chelski (Original thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
exmu":165wgxtq said:
Lundan Cabbie":165wgxtq said:
I guess victory for the boycotters will be when the powers that be say that B teams will not be allowed to enter the pyramid structure....... oh hang on, hasn't that already been said?

And you think because that has been said, they would stick to it. The top suits in the game are interested in business not the sport itself.

So boycotters are in a no win situation. If B teams enter the league structure then that will be defeat, yet they will never accept being told it won't ever happen. I don't understand how boycotters will ever be able to claim victory if they are forever suspicious.

Lundan Cabbie":12giadp7 said:
exmu":12giadp7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":12giadp7 said:
I guess victory for the boycotters will be when the powers that be say that B teams will not be allowed to enter the pyramidstructure....... oh hang on, hasn't that already been said?

And you think because that has been said, they would stick to it. The top suits in the game are interested in business not the sport itself.

So boycotters are in a no win situation. If B teams enter the league structure then that will be defeat, yet they will never accept being told it won't ever happen. I don't understand how boycotters will ever be able to claim victory if they are forever suspicious.

Personally once the Youth teams involvement in this cup is removed, I'll start relaxing a bit.

Whilst they are present, I see no other choice but to boycott, as much as it pains me to miss any games.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Precisely Leeder. An old picture of mine popped up from 3 years ago today of the moon rising over the Barn Park as Argyle v Leyton Orient (then league one) entered extra time. Yesterday I was reminded of our defeat to Gillingham in the competition, Bradley Dack was a class above, but Tanner scored a very sweet volley to open his account for the club. Some aren't into this competition in any form, but I would attend any fixture I was able (same as my attitude towards the league). Thanks to Harvey and some selfish football league chairman, I'm missing out on potential opportunities to watch the Greens.

Sep 25, 2010
SwimWithTheTide":1t9epcbe said:
5 years ago Martyn you'd have phrased that as "the EFL will never allow B teams to compete in their competitions".

Stick you fingers in your ears, shout la la la it's not happening and selfishly attend by all means. But at least understand what you're in support of.

I don't like the competition, I don't like b teams being allowed in. But as said there will never be B teams in the league.

Just don't understand the boycotting of your team, I am not being selfish in watching my team, it is a first team game, and I will watch them.

Do you honestly think, there will be B teams in the league. The clubs WILL not allow it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Some clubs WILL allow it.

When they start dangling £250k around, you watch some clubs buckle.

Only a couple of months ago, the Notts County Chairman basically said 'Who the hell are the fans to tell me what money we can or can't make, we are losing money and this money from the EFL pays some bills'. If you can't see that Martyn, then you need to think again.

I'm not advocating a boycott, I personally won't attend any of the matches, but I can see why some are. I would also say that anyone who wants to go and see their club play, they should do so without any fear of being ridiculed on here.

Remember MK Dons, if THAT can happen then anything is possible.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
But they allowed them into this competition, why are other competitions off limits Martyn?

If clubs continue along the path of being dependent on Premier League cash (as Harvey is encouraging) then it leaves clubs vulnerable to the Prem blackmailing the football league into submission on their agenda. B teams are clearly on their agenda, I don't think even bias cabbie can argue otherwise.

The same way EPPP was introduced. The same was the football league trophy has been ruined. As far as I'm concerned this is no longer a first team game. For reason already given, inconsistent rules between sides, rigged draw, etc. It's got less credibility as a fixture than the Devon Bowl.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":2qjs95ws said:
But they allowed them into this competition, why are other competitions off limits Martyn?

If clubs continue along the path of being dependent on Premier League cash (as Harvey is encouraging) then it leaves clubs vulnerable to the Prem blackmailing the football league into submission on their agenda. B teams are clearly on their agenda, I don't think even bias cabbie can argue otherwise.

The same way EPPP was introduced. The same was the football league trophy has been ruined. As far as I'm concerned this is no longer a first team game. For reason already given, inconsistent rules between sides, rigged draw, etc. It's got less credibility as a fixture than the Devon Bowl.

I am biased? I'm very much on the fence here. Yes I support a Premier League club but not one with an academy of the size that gets involved with this competition. I have no desire to alter the structure at all.

The Premier League though have NEVER chased this idea of U23's playing in the Checkatrade or having teams in the EFL structure. Harvey went to the PL in pursuit of money for the EFL clubs by offering a stage for their academy players.

The idea of a fifth division to allow B sides to play in the pyramid was once again NOT a PL initiative, it was an FA proposal. Rather than it being the Premier League throwing their weight around, all this is due to the EFL trying to get the Prem to spend more of their vast income in their direction.

Aug 18, 2015
SwimWithTheTide":2irocm8v said:
Precisely Leeder. An old picture of mine popped up from 3 years ago today of the moon rising over the Barn Park as Argyle v Leyton Orient (then league one) entered extra time. Yesterday I was reminded of our defeat to Gillingham in the competition, Bradley Dack was a class above, but Tanner scored a very sweet volley to open his account for the club. Some aren't into this competition in any form, but I would attend any fixture I was able (same as my attitude towards the league). Thanks to Harvey and some selfish football league chairman, I'm missing out on potential opportunities to watch the Greens.
You got your competitions wrong. Orient and Gills were the league cup, not JPT

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
IJN":2easl35x said:

Only a couple of months ago, the Notts County Chairman basically said 'Who the hell are the fans to tell me what money we can or can't make, we are losing money and this money from the EFL pays some bills'. If you can't see that Martyn, then you need to think again.

I'm not advocating a boycott, I personally won't attend any of the matches, but I can see why some are. I would also say that anyone who wants to go and see their club play, they should do so without any fear of being ridiculed on here.

This.

Enough PL cash dangled in front of desperate club chairman and it could well happen.

Someone asked whether the resolve would boycott would continue if we make it to Wembley. For me, 100% yes - just like I refuse to visit the Franchise, Boxing Day or not.

Jul 29, 2010
Mark_Colling":37sl4nj5 said:
Someone asked whether the resolve would boycott would continue if we make it to Wembley. For me, 100% yes - just like I refuse to visit the Franchise, Boxing Day or not.
Good man, they're both on my list of 'never gonna happen' too.

Looking forward to soundly beating the franchise next month :cool:

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
IJN":2s5fd33x said:

At last a balanced and emotion free post, says it all Ian.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The referee for this 'game' is Brett Huxtable. Remember him from the Barnet game at Home Park last season? :lol:

Mar 14, 2009
Won't be going. It feels like a reserve match.

Just don't get the competition. Good chance to give some fringe and youth players a run out.

Hope we win and some people perform but the result isn't that important.

Nov 4, 2012
Obviously I Won't be going to this farce. Hopefully we lose. Want out of this distraction as soon as. That said would be nice to see Te Loeke keep a clean sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.