Argyle's average revenue per ticket is less than £11 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle's average revenue per ticket is less than £11

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Here is a link to a list of UK cities in order of decreasing population: http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/

I don't recall Wakefield (316,000) ever having a team in the top flight...

It's also interesting to look at which large cities currently don't have a top flight team. Working down the list we have:

Leeds
Sheffield
Bradford
Bristol
Wakefield
Cardiff
Coventry
Nottingham
Brighton

all bigger than Plymouth (which is 21st in the list) and all without a current top flight team.

I guess that by the time Manchester and Liverpool have each bagged two of the 20 spaces and London has bagged six spaces that only leaves 10 slots to be filled.

Lundan Cabbie":2z39824l said:
Cobi Budge.":2z39824l said:
The reason is largely because it's a huge city and England's biggest never to host top flight football, /quote]

I believe that the people of this City are actually proud of this so called stat because they are forever bringing it up and boasting about it when it can quite easily be fobbed off to cities elsewhere in the country. It is a debate that has furnished these pages on many occasions.

I don't think we boast about it, it's more of a shoulder shrugging resignation about how bobbins we traditionally are. Doesn't stop us supporting them though, we're tarnished for life, it's the new support who need to be nurtured. The only recipe for growth is a successful team on the pitch and a forward-looking board off it.

As Spowell92 said a little earlier, the higher attendances we are seeing in this visit to the bottom division can be attributed to those who were attracted during our "successful" era of a decade ago. We should now be pushing on.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Bermudian Green":3ahnbsz7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3ahnbsz7 said:
Cobi Budge.":3ahnbsz7 said:
The reason is largely because it's a huge city and England's biggest never to host top flight football, /quote]

I believe that the people of this City are actually proud of this so called stat because they are forever bringing it up and boasting about it when it can quite easily be fobbed off to cities elsewhere in the country. It is a debate that has furnished these pages on many occasions.

I don't think we boast about it, it's more of a shoulder shrugging resignation about how bobbins we traditionally are. Doesn't stop us supporting them though, we're tarnished for life, it's the new support who need to be nurtured. The only recipe for growth is a successful team on the pitch and a forward-looking board off it.

As Spowell92 said a little earlier, the higher attendances we are seeing in this visit to the bottom division can be attributed to those who were attracted during our "successful" era of a decade ago. We should now be pushing on.

I have even heard local politicians quote it as a badge of honour/dishonour for the city even though it isn't true as has been explained above. The City of Wakefield is way bigger than Plymouth in population terms and I don't think they have even had a Football League side let alone one in the top flight.

Jan 6, 2007
oddball":3nn202db said:
Cobi Budge.":3nn202db said:
Reduce the prices and a few more will come but I barely think the change would be noticeable.

We've tried reduced tickets time and time again, the crowds don't increase by much, I remember when we played forest in the championship, the match was free for everyone and we still didn't sell out.

I know it's a subject which draws strong debate but I'll say it again, Plymouth isn't a football city, and if it is, then it's a plastic city full of glory fans. The reason is largely because it's a huge city and England's biggest never to host top flight football, constant underachievement has caused this disinterest.

More Janners laugh at the club than support it, I see it every day.

Cobi Budge...Thats a PASOTI fact and is simply not true. The match to which you refer was
against Nottingham Forest and free tickets were given out to schools and youth football teams,the match was not at all free for everyone.Plymouth may not be a football city,dont agree with that either,in fact if we were still in the FA Cup and drew a premier team such as Man United Chelsea you would get a full house,no worries.Its just that people have had enough of mediocrity,
you can only watch so much fourth division football before people reach their tolerance level

Your wrong the tickets were free, but only if you had a child's ticket as well, I know a few that got tickets with no intention of taking a child with them, hence the below capacity attendance.

Customer "can I have a free ticket for the Forest game?"
Ticket office "only if you are having a child ticket as well"
Customer "oh okay then"

You couldn't make it up lol

C

Cobi Budge.

Surely you'd just take the child's ticket and just not use it, seen as it would be free anyway? :lol: maybe that's why it wasn't full, lots of people without the made up son or daughter :lol:

Much as I hate to use the p word, there is another factor which I think adds to our potential. When I moved here 31 years ago my sons and I were immediately struck by the pirate accents all around us when we visited Argyle, Exeter and Torquay. We seemed to be the only non Devonians.

In the subsequent years Devon has become the most moved into county in the UK. You must all have noticed just how many South East and Midlands accents you now get in the crowd. In my last ST spot in the Lyndhurst my neighbours included a West Ham supporter, two Villa supporters and a Tottenham supporter, all now additionally supporting their local club. I worked with many non Devonian colleagues who really wanted a Devon team to do well so they could support them regularly, but the patchy performance of all the Devon clubs left them underwhelmed.

I'm convinced that were we to sustain a regular higher level of football all these 'immigrants' like me would become regulars.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
mervyn":3f6a8uhe said:
Much as I hate to use the p word, there is another factor which I think adds to our potential. When I moved here 31 years ago my sons and I were immediately struck by the pirate accents all around us when we visited Argyle, Exeter and Torquay. We seemed to be the only non Devonians.

In the subsequent years Devon has become the most moved into county in the UK. You must all have noticed just how many South East and Midlands accents you now get in the crowd. In my last ST spot in the Lyndhurst my neighbours included a West Ham supporter, two Villa supporters and a Tottenham supporter, all now additionally supporting their local club. I worked with many non Devonian colleagues who really wanted a Devon team to do well so they could support them regularly, but the patchy performance of all the Devon clubs left them underwhelmed.

I'm convinced that were we to sustain a regular higher level of football all these 'immigrants' like me would become regulars.

So these are football 'supporters' who only want to support 'a higher level of football'?
Catch 22 here. Attend and bring revenue = more chance of 'higher level', don't attend but wait for the 'higher level' to just spontaneously appear from the ether = what three quarters+ of Plymouth folk have been doing since 1886!! :facepalm: