Automatic Promotion | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Automatic Promotion

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
clokey84":n5a0cuk1 said:
Monkey Nuts":n5a0cuk1 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":n5a0cuk1 said:
I did up until we lost Hourihane.
And then didn't bother replacing him.
I don't think it was a case of let's no bother to replace him JS had two players that fell through last minute due to wages/location and then said he doesn't want to sign someone just for the sake of it who won't be any better than we already have!
And even though they are not like for like replacements for Hourihane, Sheridan has brought in Norburn and O'Connor (who no one seems to have mentioned that he was signed as a centre back and Sheridan isn't playing him there) as well as promoting Allen to the first team.

C

Connor Clarke

X Isle":8nsw3iw7 said:
Don't think we ever had a realistic shot at automatic promotion this season, Sheridan or not.

No other team has a seven figure debt to service with a looming deadline.

That's straight from page 1 of the Argyle fan excuse book :lol:

P

Paul_Roberts

John Sheridan is a decent manager at this level, but I'm getting the growing feeling that he just isn't equipped to get the best out of Plymouth Argyle.

When he won the title with Chesterfield, he could pretty much pick and choose the players he wanted because location wasn't really an issue. On top of that, he was living at home with his family and could throw himself 100% into the job.

Neither of those advantages apply for him at Argyle. He's swimming up stream and doesn't appear to have the ability to compensate for the location issues.

Sturrock, Warnock, Smith... all men with big personalities who embraced the region and played to its strengths. Ian Holloway too (he didn't win promotion, but he may have done if supported properly). You just got the feeling with all of them that our location was a strength rather than a weakness. We can be an extraordinary club with the right man at the helm, but under someone like John Sheridan - who doesn't even have enough faith in the region to move his own family to it - we're just another run-of-the-mill club coasting along hoping to get lucky.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
X Isle":sbrhzgw3 said:
Where you see excuses, I see reasons.

It's what reasonable people do ;-)

EVERY team has reasons why they might lose. Looking at opposition in this division as superior is utterly ridiculous - we arent trying to compete with Leeds or Newcastle or tge like any more.

Aug 11, 2013
Ollieargyle9":1fvwvdp5 said:
X Isle":1fvwvdp5 said:
Don't think we ever had a realistic shot at automatic promotion this season, Sheridan or not.

That's a terrible excuse X Isle, even with the debt looming over the club our budget is one of the biggest in the league.

Look at who we've brought in; we fought off Portsmouth and Bristol City for Reuben's signature, you can't do that with memories of last season and his youth experience here alone. We've brought in players like Mellor, McHugh, Hartley and Cox this summer all of whom with L1 experience who dropped a division to play for us, they don't come down without a good wage on the table for them. Banton; former Palace highflyer, signed with us after a hugely successful loan spell, Palace may not have wanted him but they knew there was talent there, he wouldn't have been cheap. We also turned down an initial approach for Hourihane, money wasn't an issue but the player's desire to play here. Morgan despite his poor showing to date also attracted L1 interest of which we fought off for him.

This team was not built on a shoestring and there is still talk of more players JS can afford to add to it. There honestly is no excuse not to achieve great things with our budget, JS has assembled what looks to be a strong team of players on paper, if he cannot succeed with them then there isn't a team he can build for us that'll get us out of this division IMO. We shouldn't write off promotion just yet as there is still plenty of football to be played but we should very much expect promotion or playoffs as a minimum this year with the time and money we've given JS to achieve it.

Top post Ollie ..... The more you look at the excuses in detail the easier it is to clear them away.

As "shareholders" we need to hold the boss to account .... He gets an easy enough ride with no Mayflower Standing ...

Mar 23, 2008
Paul_Roberts":2v442mdq said:
John Sheridan is a decent manager at this level, but I'm getting the growing feeling that he just isn't equipped to get the best out of Plymouth Argyle.

When he won the title with Chesterfield, he could pretty much pick and choose the players he wanted because location wasn't really an issue. On top of that, he was living at home with his family and could throw himself 100% into the job.

Neither of those advantages apply for him at Argyle. He's swimming up stream and doesn't appear to have the ability to compensate for the location issues.

Sturrock, Warnock, Smith... all men with big personalities who embraced the region and played to its strengths. Ian Holloway too (he didn't win promotion, but he may have done if supported properly). You just got the feeling with all of them that our location was a strength rather than a weakness. We can be an extraordinary club with the right man at the helm, but under someone like John Sheridan - who doesn't even have enough faith in the region to move his own family to it - we're just another run-of-the-mill club coasting along hoping to get lucky.
Fully agree with that, we need that feel good factor that just isn't there at present.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
đŸŒŸSparksy MuralđŸŒŸ
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Deacster":1ts1hehw said:
Paul_Roberts":1ts1hehw said:

Fully agree with that, we need that feel good factor that just isn't there at present.

Me too.

As I stated on page 1 of the thread, we need a leader that 'gets' Plymouth Argyle. May sound daft, but as Paul stated, our somewhat recent previous successes were all accomplished by managers who lived and breathed PAFC and made us believe we could beat whoever turned up at Home Park. Holloway did a similar thing.

Does Sheridan instil that belief in our team? For me, on the evidence so far...no, he does not.

TCL

Jan 25, 2012
A STATE OF MIND

If you think you are beaten, you are.

If you think you dare not, you don’t.

If you would like to win but think you can’t it’s almost certain you won’t.

If you think you will lose, then you have lost.

For out of this world you find success begins with a players will.

IT’S ALL IN THE STATE OF MIND

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
X Isle":25k1y7ly said:
Where you see excuses, I see reasons.

It's what reasonable people do ;-)

For what it is worth I normally find myself agreeing with you--but on this occasion perhaps not. The looming debt payment will undoubtedly be at the forefront of the Board's minds, or it should be, but I doubt it will be on the radar of the players, the manager or coaching staff. There may be some restrictions on the playing budget but I am not sure that this is a key factor. My sense is that we have a decent squad for this level with a few good players (Luke McCormick, Reuben Reid, Curtis Nelson--and potentially Harvey, Purrington and Allen), but we are lacking motivation and organisation--this can only be put at the door of the manager and the coaching staff. We seem to be very slow off the mark during games needing to go a goal or two down before we get energised. Like many people I also find team selection perplexing--we have some talented youngsters who have already shown they can make a difference yet it seems, for example, that JS would rather play someone out of position than 'risk' Purrington. I say give them a chance--the crowd needs something to get behind. Another poster has talked of a 'sense' of things not being quite right and to be honest I get that same sense--the club needs a catalyst of some sort to blast it out of its stupor or we will be facing another season of disappointment.

Aug 15, 2008
Thing is Old Gunner on the flip side of "facing a season of disappointment" is that we could be facing a season of excitement.

We have had a so so start and a few back to back wins will do wonders.

Though I do get your drift. :)

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Verte":1tstvdzc said:
Thing is Old Gunner on the flip side of "facing a season of disappointment" is that we could be facing a season of excitement.

We have had a so so start and a few back to back wins will do wonders.

Though I do get your drift. :)

I do hope you are right--however, we have played 14 competitive matches since the 22nd of March--and we have won 2. That is not automatic promotion form---it's the other thing.

TCL":1y6pkr4a said:
IT’S ALL IN THE STATE OF MIND
:iagree:
Hourihane, Hayes, Boco .... each now seemingly scoring merrily away at their new clubs

It's no different to any industry or business ; yes players need to follow instructions and take responsibity ; if they witness strong leadership, motivation and passion, then they should feel compelled to deliver the very same for their leader on the pitch. Cock sure self belief is what I want to see !

[oh and more width & movement on the pitch... and win some throw ins ... i digress]

I truly believe we have the players here now with the ability to force and make play offs / they just need to believe it themselves
:greensmile:

Apr 30, 2011
Connor Clarke":vbmv18eg said:
X Isle":vbmv18eg said:

That's straight from page 1 of the Argyle fan excuse book :lol:

it's totally true though? I still think we should be pushing for play offs but not to the financial detriment of the club. I can't believe how short people's memories are.

A mid table Argyle is better than no Argyle.