Automatic Promotion | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Automatic Promotion

Apr 15, 2008
London
Connor Clarke":8vexax4j said:
X Isle":8vexax4j said:
Don't think we ever had a realistic shot at automatic promotion this season, Sheridan or not.

No other team has a seven figure debt to service with a looming deadline.

That's straight from page 1 of the Argyle fan excuse book :lol:

Yes, to be fair, it's getting a bit much now. If I have to hear the phrase 'balloon payment' everytime we turn in a crap performance for the next 2 season, I will scream.

It's not like every other team in League 1 is rolling in cash.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Knarf Reprah":sk4s6neu said:
crownhillpilgrim":sk4s6neu said:
Connor Clarke":sk4s6neu said:
X Isle":sk4s6neu said:
It's not like every other team in League 1 is rolling in cash.
we re in league two :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ha. Fair enough... I love how once it gets past the hyperbolic 'Premier league' and 'Championship', we get the prosaic 'League 1' and 'League 2' - which basically means '40-odd crap teams'.

Aug 7, 2013
No i think a playoff place is a possibility. But i still dont think we have enough options upfront. If reid goes out injured, who scores the goals?? Lewi has a great attitude so maybe he can bag a few, banton needs to step it up if he is to get more goals. Morgan, well, he has his attribures but i cant see himn getting more than 5 or 6 in the season.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
For what it's worth, this season is the first true 'Sheridan's Barmy Army' season. Let's not forget that he performed a miracle when he first arrived and kept us up. Something someone on here said he should be lauded for as the new messiah and a greater achievement than even Luggy's first term in charge. So...

We are still at the embryonic stage of the season. Morcambe, favourites for the drop apparently are yet to lose a game (I think). We still have an awfully long way to go and I still think with a couple of canny loan signings, we can make automatic promotion. I think too, that Lewis Allessandra will be a key man up front once he 'clicks'. I know and fully accept and agree with some of the apparently odd position play that JS calls, and his seemingly lack of tactical nous. But just pause a moment and consider this. Last season Exeter took us apart on our own pitch. They came with a plan and played (for them) a lovely passing game on the best pitch outside the Championship. We looked like rabbits in the headlights and deservedly got tonked. This season, JS has gone with a plan, and systematically took them apart. I know they have financial problems, and they are playing a team of youngsters, but Tisdale had no answer whatsoever to us a few Saturdays ago. We are not going to storm the league like we did in 2003/4, we simply don't have the money. That's the money to attract better players or, as some of you dreamers still believe, the likes of Neil Warnock.
Assume for a moment if you will, this. Let's say in 2003 PAFC had no debt and was at break even. It took just eight years to be £17m in the red. It's hardly any wonder then, that we had a meteoric rise up the leagues when you are over spending by £2m a year is it? I know that is simplistic, and possibly flawed, but the point is, we don't have any money. We have to get into League One by a few clever signings and a little luck (98th minute penalties, for example) But! We need to instil a winning mentality, something that isn't there yet, and we only saw in flashes over the last couple of seasons. A run of a few games without a loss, and we could easily be there.
So all in all, I'm still hopeful for an automatic place, but playoffs at worst.