Banton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banton

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I thought it was Marvin this season, but let's hope they run our ammo soon.

They can then start on the pasties again.

P

Plymouth-Spurs

I must admit Banton has a woeful start to the season considering he looked sharp pre-season. It does make you wonder why a championship team like Birmingham wanted him.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth-Spurs":15ci04eg said:
I must admit Banton has a woeful start to the season considering he looked sharp pre-season. It does make you wonder why a championship team like Birmingham wanted him.

Do you really think they did?

He's being played out of position. He's a right footed player - he's being played on the left. He will inevitably cut in more often than not. His best period for us previously was playing off Reid. His best minutes for us this year was the third quarter against Southend - he played in the centre off Reid.

Conclusion....?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Many managers at the top level today prefer their wide players to play on the "wrong side" where they can cut in on their stronger foot. Examples are Robben, Di Maria, Ronaldo and Bale. Banton is not currently being played in his preferred position and on Saturday was double marked throughout indicating the opposition saw him as a potential serious threat. I think the main thing with him at present is a lack of confidence and if he can regain a bit of that he has an important part to play this season and the constant criticism by some will tail off.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
TinTin":2nz9tg6n said:
Deacster":2nz9tg6n said:
It is a problem that our two wide men Banton and Alessandra don't like playing wide. I'm surprised that having re-signed him Thomas gets so little game time.

I thought both of them were largely anonymous, particularly in the first half.

The saying "square pegs.........round holes" comes to mind in Banton's case for sure.

Do the players have to "fit" the system or do you "create" a system to suit the players ?

Maybe we should ask Louis van Gaal as he's yet to find the answer !!

Potentially Banton and Alessandra have enough quality to become match-winners BUT I fear NOT playing in their roles yesterday.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

I agree with this. Both Banton and Alessandra are at their most effective when playing off a front man. However, at the moment they have to fit into a system unless there's someone better to do so. Given that it's working - and I thought very effectively on Saturday - this isn't likely to change soon. It does though offer Sheridan a Plan B/C during matches should he wish to use it.

Personally, I've never thought Thomas to be the answer when you're trying to be disciplined - we saw what happened when he was asked to part defend at the end of last season. He's far too one-dimensional and as such will only ever be an impact sub in my opinion.

Aug 7, 2013
I would just like to see a bit more enthusiasm from the lad and instead of coming inside or waiting for mchugh (who never made an effort to run past banton) go past him. Take the full back on. Run with the ball for crying out loud!!

P

Paul_Roberts

jbeale1986":ffaz04kn said:
I would just like to see a bit more enthusiasm from the lad and instead of coming inside or waiting for mchugh (who never made an effort to run past banton) go past him. Take the full back on. Run with the ball for crying out loud!!

On Saturday he had two defenders to take on, and usually received the ball 40+ yards from goal. What damage do you expect him to do from there?

When he's played in a more advanced wide role, or just off the striker as others have pointed out, then he's a much bigger threat. You will not get the best out of Jason Banton if he's played in a defensive winger role.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I think we will see the best of Banton this season, although not in his current position. We'll see his best I reckon after suspensions, injuries or (God forbid) other players are sold.

C

Cobi Budge.

I don't think Banton is playing awfully, but he's just contributing nothing & in each match we've done better without him.

Each player, even those like Allen, Harvey & Blizzard have probably done more than Banton this season.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Agree Cobi. He's not a disaster of a player, but there's been little value to his performances so far this season. He's massively improved his defensive game though, so much so that how deep he plays is probably a criticism. He's not having the influence we expect and it's disappointing. Wouldn't write him off, but wouldn't really be looking to start him at the moment. Though our other options aren't great.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Dilemma for Saturday, now we have lost Alex Bray is what to do with Banton in away games?

Manager has already indicated he will look to play different formation on the road and use different personnel.

At Bury, Banton was withdrawn after 53 minutes and at Luton it was after 58 minutes so that suggests his place is vulnerable.

Aug 11, 2013
Think we all remember Reuben's lean spell but the manager stuck with him when people (yes including me) were saying why are we persisting with him. Drop him ..... and look now.

I wonder whether its another 'be patient and he'll come good' ...