Banton | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banton

Jul 2, 2014
arrythewurzel":202xob8x said:
Think we all remember Reuben's lean spell but the manager stuck with him when people (yes including me) were saying why are we persisting with him. Drop him ..... and look now.

I wonder whether its another 'be patient and he'll come good' ...

Agree totally - Sheridan was right about Reuben, I hope to --- he's also right about Banton. Jason's work rate has certainly improved. I suspect that we will go with Lewi and Banton wide again, though I would rather like to see Smalley or Thomas on the right, Lewi on the left and Banton brought in behind or alongside Reuben. Of course some would put Lewi in the slot, or Blzzard, or Harvey, or Marvin, or . . . Good grief, there is a lot of players that can go there. :crazy:

Of course, if we can repeat March's result against Morcombe, I don't care where anyone plays. :scarf:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
cheshiregreen":wwy82jh2 said:
Dilemma for Saturday, now we have lost Alex Bray is what to do with Banton in away games?

Manager has already indicated he will look to play different formation on the road and use different personnel.

At Bury, Banton was withdrawn after 53 minutes and at Luton it was after 58 minutes so that suggests his place is vulnerable.

And Smalley and Thomas used at Morecambe ahead of him.......wonder if this will motivate him or is the start of him being just a squad player?

That said, Morecambe probably not his sort of game.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Perhaps a wake up call?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
cheshiregreen":4nvb8dg3 said:
cheshiregreen":4nvb8dg3 said:
Dilemma for Saturday, now we have lost Alex Bray is what to do with Banton in away games?

Manager has already indicated he will look to play different formation on the road and use different personnel.

At Bury, Banton was withdrawn after 53 minutes and at Luton it was after 58 minutes so that suggests his place is vulnerable.

And Smalley and Thomas used at Morecambe ahead of him.......wonder if this will motivate him or is the start of him being just a squad player?

That said, Morecambe probably not his sort of game.
And what exactly would be "his sort of game"?

So far, none of the games we have played appear to have been "his sort of game" and we are running out of potentially suitable opponents for him to motivate himself as you say and show us what he can do.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
any game ought to be any players "sort of game" for crying out loud.in jasons case,get the ball down,get past the defender with his pace and keep crossing into the area for marvin,read and hopefully tyler harvey.

Jul 6, 2011
Maybe it's the left back position that's causing the problems, very little support for Banton going forward.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
briangreen":2fqpkhiv said:
Maybe it's the left back position that's causing the problems, very little support for Banton going forward.
Naturally it doesn't help and there can be little doubting that Banton in pure terms of effort is a new and improved player this season. He looks far more energetic and alert to where he needs to be on the pitch.

All of those things combined however don't change the fact that his levels of confidence have hit rock bottom at the moment. Yes he's trying, yes all criticism is mitigated by the fact that his left-back has a nosebleed when he crosses the halfway line. But even when you account for all that, he could still be doing a bit better. When he was with us previously, getting the ball in a certain position meant defenders would panic at the sight of Jason Banton. He'd cut inside, run with the ball, let rip and fire home. At the very least he'd have a real good go at it and give the keeper something to do.

But we just aren't seeing that same level of confidence or swagger anymore. He seems to freeze at the sight of goal and often either passes when he should shoot himself or he tries to carry the ball too far. The guy who once believed in himself a bit too much now doesn't seem to believe in himself at all. It's so annoying because the talent is there, the effort is there but due to some unspecified psychological block it just isn't clicking at the moment.

Last season I wanted rid of him- because to all intents and purposes it seemed he wasn't fit, wasn't trying or both. This season, in spite of his poor performances, I am weirdly feeling more positive about him rather than less positive. He is fit, he is trying, he has got it in him. I think now that his only missing ingredient to being a top player for us is confidence. It's painfully frustrating cause you know there's a quality player deep inside there but it just isn't clicking for him. I think that if we just see him get a goal then all his confidence and swagger could come rushing back. I hope so anyway- I hope/expect to see him back in the starting line-up on Tuesday.

Sep 2, 2008
spowell92":1rw7b5e8 said:
Agree Cobi. He's not a disaster of a player, but there's been little value to his performances so far this season. He's massively improved his defensive game though, so much so that how deep he plays is probably a criticism. He's not having the influence we expect and it's disappointing. Wouldn't write him off, but wouldn't really be looking to start him at the moment. Though our other options aren't great.

This is the real problem. Sheridan bangs on about how Banton is an attacking midfielder that won't win 50-50 challenges so why make him responsible for any defensive play? Picking the ball up in midfield and running at a defender to try and get beyond him is tiring. Reason being is that you have to work harder to better that defender. You have to be stronger and faster and when you exert that extra energy and it breaks down it is bleddy hard to get back. I believe because Sheridan wants him to improve his defensive game it is having a detrimental effect on his offensive game. He doesn't want to try to beat a defender and bust his gonads in case it does break down and he knows he wont be able to get back. I remember his first stint here and it seemed to me that he had no defensive duties whatsoever which left him free to express himself and score goals. Tip for Sheridan: play him on the wing if you want but let him know you don't expect him to defend at all. When he gets the ball make sure either Cox, O'Connor, Thorburn continue to crab across to offer support but not to want the ball only to pick up the pieces if Bantons surge forward fails. Bantons instruction for when he gets the ball should be to go forward not backwards/sideways - drive towards that goal or goal line. I'm one of Bantons harshest critics but I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him as I'm slowly starting to believe that he's coming up short in games because of how Sheridan wants him to play.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Same players, same formation and same objective... Win the fudgeing match regardless of opposition, home or away.

Consistency and team spirit need some hard work.