Bobby Reid "ARGYLE" | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bobby Reid "ARGYLE"

tonsk

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
John Cooper":msxl07zr said:
I've seen Argyle play on going on for 80 different league grounds. Cant recall chanting Plymouth too often. AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE however.....
See someone in disneyworld with an ARGYLE shirt on, you dont chant Plymouth, its AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE or Green Army!
He's probably never heard a "Plymouth" chant and thereby associates an Argyle crowd with Argyle.
Quite reasonable and politically correct...

I was spotted in Disneyworld with my Argyle shirt on by John Lloyd and he shouted Green Army!

tonsk

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Most supporters of clubs with a suffix refer to their team by that suffix:
Manchester City: Citeh
Aston Villa: Villa
Leyton Orient: Orient
Crewe Alexandra: Alex
Oldham Athletic: Latics
Exeter City: Chinos

Mar 9, 2011
It’s match day, so a chorus or two of; ‘Argyle (Argyle) – Come on you boys in green…..’ will probably be sung in the Devonport End :scarf:

Although it will never happen – I reckon this chant would be good if the Devonport End could start this off and block 14 followed it up. Always remember going to Southampton’s ground and their supporters chanting like this, from corner to corner - sounded very impressive.

Anyway (back on track) … Argyle or Plymouth Argyle it definitely is … saying I support Plymouth (in a footballing sense) just doesn’t sound right.

May 22, 2006
John Cooper":38l9a36h said:
I've seen Argyle play on going on for 80 different league grounds. Cant recall chanting Plymouth too often. AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE however.....
See someone in disneyworld with an ARGYLE shirt on, you dont chant Plymouth, its AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE or Green Army!
He's probably never heard a "Plymouth" chant and thereby associates an Argyle crowd with Argyle.

Green Army strikes me as relatively recent. Don't remember it before 90's (0r poss late 80's). Seemed to first start elsewhere with 'manager's name colour army chant'. Can't remember it being around for Waiters or Ciderman's teams. Those days were more Molly Malone and Oggi, Oggi, Oggi ( before Max Boyce picked up on the latter). Not sure if Noddy would have shouted Green Army but could easily be wrong.

Always have been and always will be Argyle (or Super Argyle to Super Womble)!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
John Cooper":y76e63s2 said:
Ade the green":y76e63s2 said:
John Cooper":y76e63s2 said:

Whereas when you see Mickey Mouse you naturally think of 'Exeter City'. Partly because those big shoes hide their six toes. :scarf:

Like it. Up until the IJN amnesty on user names, mine used to be "dead before red"

I took the family to Disneyland Paris a couple of years ago and I can confirm that yes, Mickey Mouse does wear a Paul Tisdale watch.

An oldie but a goodie.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
If you see your mate in town do you say Going to Argyle Saturday? or Going to Plymouth?.

May 22, 2006
If you said "I'm going to Plymouth", I'd assume you were going to the city of Plymouth. Unless we were already in Plymouth, in which case I'd ask if you were feeling OK.

'Goin op the argo satdee' should be the standard. Then everyone knows exactly what you mean.

T

Tyhee_Slim

If you've got to ask you'll never know.

Funny though, people have mentioned the 'United' and 'Cities', but both used the Manchester versions as examples and I reckon if you asked anybody on a Saturday night how United or City 'got on' they would generally think you were referring to the Manchester clubs - possibly not in a place where the local team was United or City I guess.

Personally, I find it annoying to hear us referred to as Plymouth by locals, but can sort of understand it on a national level. The only clubs with unique names that are usually referred to by their suffix are either bigger clubs (e.g. 'Forest', 'Villa)), ones where there are two clubs in the same city ('Wednesday') or ones where the first name isn't actually a place ('Palace', 'Vale').