Bobby Reid "ARGYLE" | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bobby Reid "ARGYLE"

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Tyhee_Slim":38lwejkc said:
If you've got to ask you'll never know.

Funny though, people have mentioned the 'United' and 'Cities', but both used the Manchester versions as examples and I reckon if you asked anybody on a Saturday night how United or City 'got on' they would generally think you were referring to the Manchester clubs - possibly not in a place where the local team was United or City I guess.

Personally, I find it annoying to hear us referred to as Plymouth by locals, but can sort of understand it on a national level. The only clubs with unique names that are usually referred to by their suffix are either bigger clubs (e.g. 'Forest', 'Villa)), ones where there are two clubs in the same city ('Wednesday') or ones where the first name isn't actually a place ('Palace', 'Vale').
Leyton Orient are often called Orient yet never called Leyton, though.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Emu":1xmylya3 said:
Crystal Palace, SE19

The football club is named after Palace that stood on Sydenham Hill as is the modern day district. The district wasn't called Crystal Palace before the Palace was moved from Hyde Park.

T

Tyhee_Slim

GreenSam":295likhb said:
Tyhee_Slim":295likhb said:
If you've got to ask you'll never know.

Funny though, people have mentioned the 'United' and 'Cities', but both used the Manchester versions as examples and I reckon if you asked anybody on a Saturday night how United or City 'got on' they would generally think you were referring to the Manchester clubs - possibly not in a place where the local team was United or City I guess.

Personally, I find it annoying to hear us referred to as Plymouth by locals, but can sort of understand it on a national level. The only clubs with unique names that are usually referred to by their suffix are either bigger clubs (e.g. 'Forest', 'Villa)), ones where there are two clubs in the same city ('Wednesday') or ones where the first name isn't actually a place ('Palace', 'Vale').
Leyton Orient are often called Orient yet never called Leyton, though.

Fair comment, but they were, for a few years from about the 60s to the 80s if I remember correctly, officially called 'Orient', and before they moved to Leyton were also Clapton Orient.

Generally though, 'smaller' clubs in one club towns with unique suffixes are referred to as the name of the town - Accrington, Crewe, Plymouth - by the national media, while the locals will use refer to them as Alex or Argyle.

Interesting thread though (if you like this sort of thing). As far as I can see, the 'unique name' clubs are (apart from Argyle):

Tottenham Hotspur - seem to be called either Tottenham or Spurs by fans and media alike

Arsenal - which has been the whole name since they moved north of the river (and dropped the briefly adopted 'The' prefix). Also had a tube station renamed (from Gillespie Road I think) when they moved, so although there's not a London Borough named Arsenal there is a vague geographical reason.

Crystal Palace - the whole name is sort of a place, but 'Palace' is used by the fans and media

Aston Villa - I've never heard anyone call them 'Aston' despite it being a place, always Villa by fans and media

Queens Park Rangers - occasionally referred to as Rangers, but not often, presumably because of the potential mix up with the Glasgow club (same as Queens Park I suppose), almost always QPR, or the R's.

Sheffield Wednesday - almost always Wednesday by everyone, partly because of the 'two team town' thing

Nottingham Forest - almost always just 'Forest'. Big club historically, plus the two club town thing, although Notts County is always 'Notts' and woe betide anyone referring to Forest as Notts Forest. Strange really, as the City Ground is actually outside the old city boundaries in West Bridgford while Meadow Lane is on the proper Nottingham side of the Trent.

MK Dons - a bit early to say really and, of course, all a bit contrived.

Preston North End - always Preston in the media and by football fans in general, not sure how their fans refer to them

Port Vale - never heard anyone refer to them as Port, as the whole name, like Crystal Palace, is a sort of location in itself, or used to be. They actually play in Burslem and were once officially called Burslem Port Vale. Often called just 'Vale' by fans and media.

Crewe Alexandra - Alex to the fans, Crewe to everyone else.

Leyton Orient - simply 'Orient' to just about everyone, maybe because they have in the past been officially Clapton Orient and just "Orient'

Accrington Stanley - despite the famous name, and the milk advert, usually called Accrington by the world at large. Not sure whether the fans call them 'Stanley' or maybe even just Stan or the Stans.

Blimey, must get my anorak back from the cleaners. Tomorrow, children, we will look at the Uniteds, Citys, Towns etc.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Accrington Stanley were originally Stanley Villa and Accrington FC who were founder members of the Football League were a completely different club. I guess anyone refering to the current club as simply "Accrington" would be jumped on by the older supporters but seeing as this was all over 120 years ago, there can't be many left. :greensmile:

T

Tyhee_Slim

edengreen":3txhk1gj said:
Manchester united are generally called Man U though rather than united or Manchester arent they?

Possibly, but I'll wager that if you asked some stranger in a pub on a Saturday evening 'how did United get on?' the chances are you'd get Man Utd's result and not Rotherham' s or Colchester's.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":1g0wvmpt said:
Emu":1g0wvmpt said:
Crystal Palace, SE19

The football club is named after Palace that stood on Sydenham Hill as is the modern day district. The district wasn't called Crystal Palace before the Palace was moved from Hyde Park.

Reading the entry on wiki it tends to suggest that the team was brought there to play - another "Franchise" similar to Newton Heath, Woolwich and Wimbledon.

Aug 5, 2005
Leyton has historically had more than one football team.

Leyton FC from 1868 until 1975, when it became Leyton Wingate until 1992, when it became Leyton until 1995 when they moved away from Leyton and became Leyton Pennant until 2002 when they became Waltham Forest.

In 1997, a new Leyton FC started in the old Leyton's stadium, but they went under in 2011 after the chairman was sentenced for 8 years for VAT fraud.

So that's why nobody calls Orient 'Leyton'.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pasties and Cider":hsm8tyjp said:
Lundan Cabbie":hsm8tyjp said:
Emu":hsm8tyjp said:
Crystal Palace, SE19

Reading the entry on wiki it tends to suggest that the team was brought there to play - another "Franchise" similar to Newton Heath, Woolwich and Wimbledon.

The owners of the Palace were seeing the huge crowds that turned up for Cup Finals at their stadium within the grounds of the Palace and saw the opportunity of starting their own team to play at the old Cup Final ground. The motivation was to bring more visitors to the Crystal Palace.

In 1904 The Crystal Palace Company approached the FA with their idea of forming a new club but the FA were unwilling to approve such a move by the Company itself. Twelve months later a fresh application pioneered by local businessmen rather than the CP Company was approved and CPFC was re-born. Under the chairmanship of Sydney Bourne, Edmund Goodman was poached from Aston Villa to set up the new club. He even "pinched" a set of claret and blue shirts from Villa for the new club to play in.

So not really a franchise