branston view | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

branston view

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
demportdave":lywqs4s5 said:
Forest of Dean Green":lywqs4s5 said:
demportdave":lywqs4s5 said:
Forest of Dean Green":lywqs4s5 said:
Deacster":lywqs4s5 said:
Interesting points especially regarding the manager but then again they are mates and Sheridan has signed him twice so no real surprise.

So he knows him and his qualities as a manager much better than you or i or any of the posters on here who pontificate on Sheridan's qualities without a shred of evidence. Maybe Branno has a point?
What do you mean by evidence?

I hope it's not based on Sheridan's performance as a Manager in the 2 most important games for years affecting Argyle; that was pretty damning evidence of poor team selection, poor tactics and in particular, a shambolic defence conceding 5 goals in 2 games from set plays. Wycombe also scored against us from a corner earlier in the season.

Surely a good Manager would have sorted that out on the training ground.

But then again, what do we fans know. None of us would have thought to have started the second leg with the team that ended the first leg so well... Or perhaps maybe we would have.

Ultimately, the judgement of any Manager is based on what he achieves with the available resources.

The 'evidence' are the results and league position surely?

This forum has been a catalogue of speculation this year. Evidence on the pitch is one thing. But Sheridan's home arrangements, his travel to and from the North, and therefore his commitment to the team and players has been like a broken record. Yet we have Branno and McCormick saying he's a decent boss and there does not seem to be a bundle of dressing room discontent. So why would we not listen to Branston, or take his view seriously? Because it dies not fit into the cosy fan driven narrative that Sheridan is a waste of space, spends half his life up country eating pies, and and is a dour bloke who couldn't motivate the team. But no. Let's not listen to people who may actually know a fact or two.
"Evidence on the pitch" as you call it is the only thing that matters. The rest of your rant about Sheridan eating pies etc. is irrelevant nonsense bordering on the paranoid. There would little or no interest or criticism of anything regarding Sheridan if he had achieved what he had hoped to do, get us promoted.

But when you don't achieve your aims - and the aim of most Argyle fans - you will inevitably attract speculation as to why you have failed, that is the nature of football. And before you or anyone else jumps in, reaching the play-offs was not the end goal; that was Promotion and Sheridan himself has said as much.

Paranoid rant? Are you winding me up? I appear to be the only one here saying that perhaps, just perhaps, Branston is making a comment from the perspective of someone who has worked with Sheridan and might, although you would think it was barely convceivable, have a view on Sheridan that is better informed than fans who think that a) he's a mate/former player of Sheridan's and therefore we should ignore his view and b) he's just looking to cosy up to get a job at the club. I don't know what definition of paranoid you are working with, but if it now means 'give a guy who might know a bit more than you or I a fair shout' then guilty. But it appears we don't want to disrupt the received wisdom that has been created about Sheridan and his motivations on these boards.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Paranoid rant? Are you winding me up? I appear to be the only one here saying that perhaps, just perhaps, Branston is making a comment from the perspective of someone who has worked with Sheridan and might, although you would think it was barely convceivable, have a view on Sheridan that is better informed than fans who think that a) he's a mate/former player of Sheridan's and therefore we should ignore his view and b) he's just looking to cosy up to get a job at the club. I don't know what definition of paranoid you are working with, but if it now means 'give a guy who might know a bit more than you or I a fair shout' then guilty. But it appears we don't want to disrupt the received wisdom that has been created about Sheridan and his motivations on these boards.[/quote]
There you go again, you're the only one etc.

As the patient said to Dr Freud, it's not that I'm paranoid but they're all against me.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
samjones":b66r8f3u said:
Cobi Budge.":b66r8f3u said:
greenwelly":b66r8f3u said:
I do subscribe to the theory that we possess three excellent full-backs, but notice that Nelse & Pete do tend to remain as defensive full-backs rather than attacking (apart, of course for going up for corners).

Really?

Nelson is about as attacking as defenders come, on a few occasions this season he's been the only player really willing to run with the ball.

Only because he can't pass it.

Like the lad and reminds me a lot of Doumbe. Good defender for us and I'm sure higher teams will be sniffing around but think he may come undone and found out at championship level

He is very young and has a lot to learn but an excellent prospect.

C

Cobi Budge.

TomLannigan":3usydd5c said:
When has Mellor played at centre back for us?

I can only remember him playing there once at RCB, a home match, I can't remember who against, but from what I recall he was a bit of a liability, so I don't really know what Branston is talking about there.

May 3, 2009
perlymuff
Really can't see how Branston's selection can be described as team of the season. Some of them have hardly played, others in completely different positions to where Guy has positioned them! Fair enough call it Branston's preferred selection of Devon based players, but team of the season??? Nope sorry not buying that

C

Cobi Budge.

McCormick is a fine keeper and he could easily cut it at league 1 level but the fact Branston says he's the best in the football league, pretty much invalidates this entire selection.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I suspect it's a typo.

At the end of the day it's Branstons opinion that's all. Surprised this thread has reached 3 pages!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Good point about Mellor which I agree with I think with his size and pace he'd be good at centre-back.

Don't agree with Banton as like 90% of the time he has a poor game but then again you could it's down to bad man management from John Sheridan, he needs a Warnock type that would support him more I think.

Good to see Luke Young has done well always felt he would do better in a lower league, and we had given him plenty of time to be fair.