Brent Talks about the Finances! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent Talks about the Finances!

Oct 24, 2010
The Grumpy Loyal":1jma5qis said:
Just to add, you talk about no reasoned argument and no alternative. Arguably Brent’s biggest cock up to date is the fact that if he didn’t lump all his own private money making plans in with the Grandstand refurb, that refurb could be sailing through planning by now.

There’s an alternative for a start.
How do you know it isn't sailing through planning?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He's just hoping Esmer.

Grumpy and 'Electronic' both on this thread, how surprising is that?

:sigh:

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
gaspargomez":3nircd01 said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3nircd01 said:
Extremely naive of people to expect James Brent to put a figure on budget. Hence why you never see any Chairman do it!

I don't think a figure in pounds and pence is of much relevance.

What people want to know is whether Argyle's playing budget it towards the top, middle or bottom when ranked against other League One teams. The club will have a reasonable idea of this.

The evidence suggests that Argyle are towards the bottom of the playing budget league. The players signed are mostly other club's rejects and Adams has made a few remarks to the Herald about the inadequacy of the budget. Who do we believe ?

At our level, virtually every player is another club’s reject. Also, every potential replacement manager has been a failure somewhere else.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Nothing to see here.... This is consistent with pretty much everything JB has said about his views on the stewardship of the club since he started. He's not piling in moneyX the club has to earn its way. It's startling how that message is seen as prudent and the voice of reason when we were saved, then on the up. It's seen as miserly and lacking commitment to the cause when we are on a sticky wicket.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Chris Dennis":3s6yjrpr said:
I don't see anything wrong with trying to be sustainable as surely those spending vast amounts of money they haven't got will come a cropper as they can't all get to the Premier League.

However I do take issue with the following statement:-

“I point people to the Exeter Chiefs, which is a wonderful example.

“I appreciate the shape of the ball is wrong but the principle is absolutely right where they generate, as I understand it, £16.5 million of income, the majority of which comes from Sandy Park, not from RFU distributions or match-day ticket sales."

From Exeter Rugby accounts 2016:- (available on Companies House website)

Rugby Income £15,427,210
Sandy Park Income £1,561,643

Sandy Park income was 9% which is clearly not a majority.

I would hope the Herald have misquoted him here.

Well spotted, and good post.

I would GUESS the rugby income includes all match day related hospitality in their facilities, and Sandy park income is conferencing and such, separate to the rugby.
If thats how it is it bodes well if we can emulate that.
I am staggered they raked in 10 million more than us last season.
Lets have some of that !

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
PL2 3DQ":fhfgs4bs said:
What we do know about that interview from JB is that the player budget has "increased materially greater than the increase in the central distributions from the EFL"

Compared to League Two the EFL distributions increased by £420,000 for League One, so we do know that the budget for Adams has increased by at least £420,000 or more likely "materially greater", so it's safe to assume Adams has been his budget increased by £500,000, maybe even more.

Has he used the player budget and the half a million pound increase wisely?

Or has he kept a significant amount 'up his sleeve' to cover the cost of January window signings'wages, should there be a need for 'fire brigade' activity to avoid relegation. Given what occurred last January, I would suggest he will have.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Irrespective of their precise make up, the fact that one club has a £16.5M turnover versus £6.2M for the other, both with broadly similar attendances. IMHO clearly spells out again the benefit and necessity of investment in infrastructure to generate additional revenues, to grow as a club.

KFA

Apr 4, 2012
Plymouth
Tynan one nil - I think you will find A primary reason is in the ticket prices where the egg chasers pay from around £30 to £60 per ticket I believe where as our average I think is about £15 (allowing for concessions etc). They do play half a dozen or so less games than us.

Feb 8, 2005
They are playing in the equivalent of the Premiership, fellas, and are current Champions!

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
I agree ticket prices are more expensive at the Chiefs, but with the number of Premiership games combined with Cup games and an average attendance of circa 10k, there are similarities. However, it doesn't make for a £10M difference in turnover.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Rugby fans have to drink gallons and gallons of booze to watch that crap!!

Must be a right earner.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
ghost of hughie reed":1gc5e8n6 said:
Chris Dennis":1gc5e8n6 said:
I don't see anything wrong with trying to be sustainable as surely those spending vast amounts of money they haven't got will come a cropper as they can't all get to the Premier League.

However I do take issue with the following statement:-

“I point people to the Exeter Chiefs, which is a wonderful example.

“I appreciate the shape of the ball is wrong but the principle is absolutely right where they generate, as I understand it, £16.5 million of income, the majority of which comes from Sandy Park, not from RFU distributions or match-day ticket sales."

From Exeter Rugby accounts 2016:- (available on Companies House website)

Rugby Income £15,427,210
Sandy Park Income £1,561,643

Sandy Park income was 9% which is clearly not a majority.

I would hope the Herald have misquoted him here.

Well spotted, and good post.

I would GUESS the rugby income includes all match day related hospitality in their facilities, and Sandy park income is conferencing and such, separate to the rugby.
If thats how it is it bodes well if we can emulate that.
I am staggered they raked in 10 million more than us last season.
Lets have some of that !

Yes I would assume that £1.5M is on non-match days. However with only 11 home league games plus a few more cup games there is a limit to what they can bring in on match days from hospitality. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the rugby income.

Aug 13, 2011
Can't agree that the development of the ground is priority. The priority with any football club has to be the team, it is the lifeblood and heartbeat of any football club. It is an entertainment industry whereby the attractiveness of the football on show generates the revenue. This becomes the club's resources to expand once a settled and successful team lead the way. Why we think we are unique with this thought process being applied in reverse is beyond me. Home Park is not a leisure centre but a football ground. The board needs to think of the Fan Base and of the critical requirement of giving them a product on the field of play to enjoy coming to see regardless of the facilities at the venue. That isn't what generates joy nor emotion at a football club. What we have seen so far this season from our own team as a footballing spectacle is unacceptable and this needs to be addressed way before any thoughts of an ice rink take centre stage.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gariboldi":3la0lsqi said:
Can't agree that the development of the ground is priority. The priority with any football club has to be the team, it is the lifeblood and heartbeat of any football club. It is an entertainment industry whereby the attractiveness of the football on show generates the revenue. This becomes the club's resources to expand once a settled and successful team lead the way. Why we think we are unique with this thought process being applied in reverse is beyond me. Home Park is not a leisure centre but a football ground. The board needs to think of the Fan Base and of the critical requirement of giving them a product on the field of play to enjoy coming to see regardless of the facilities at the venue. That isn't what generates joy nor emotion at a football club. What we have seen so far this season from our own team as a footballing spectacle is unacceptable and this needs to be addressed way before any thoughts of an ice rink take centre stage.

It's the old chicken and the egg. Which one comes first? Success on the park which generates income to improve facilities or improve facilities to increase income that allows you to build a team that brings success to the park.