Brent Talks about the Finances! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent Talks about the Finances!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
gariboldi":12ly8oec said:
Can't agree that the development of the ground is priority. The priority with any football club has to be the team, it is the lifeblood and heartbeat of any football club. It is an entertainment industry whereby the attractiveness of the football on show generates the revenue. This becomes the club's resources to expand once a settled and successful team lead the way. Why we think we are unique with this thought process being applied in reverse is beyond me. Home Park is not a leisure centre but a football ground. The board needs to think of the Fan Base and of the critical requirement of giving them a product on the field of play to enjoy coming to see regardless of the facilities at the venue. That isn't what generates joy nor emotion at a football club. What we have seen so far this season from our own team as a footballing spectacle is unacceptable and this needs to be addressed way before any thoughts of an ice rink take centre stage.

You'd have more of a point if Plymouth Argyle had adequate facilities.

As it is, we are light years behind where we need to be infrastructure wise. The grandstand and training ground are gaping holes that need to be filled as a matter of urgency.

It simply isn't an option to progress as a decent Football League club with a dilapidated stand and portakabins as the heart of our operations, and a not-so-glorified playing field as our training ground.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
gariboldi":hiixod5e said:
Can't agree that the development of the ground is priority. The priority with any football club has to be the team, it is the lifeblood and heartbeat of any football club. It is an entertainment industry whereby the attractiveness of the football on show generates the revenue. This becomes the club's resources to expand once a settled and successful team lead the way. Why we think we are unique with this thought process being applied in reverse is beyond me. Home Park is not a leisure centre but a football ground. The board needs to think of the Fan Base and of the critical requirement of giving them a product on the field of play to enjoy coming to see regardless of the facilities at the venue. That isn't what generates joy nor emotion at a football club. What we have seen so far this season from our own team as a footballing spectacle is unacceptable and this needs to be addressed way before any thoughts of an ice rink take centre stage.

How do you afford a successful team though? If you want a model where your costs are proportionate to your income - i.e. no sugar daddy pumping in money unsustainably - then clearly you need other sources of income than just tickets. Successful teams need paying for and if I was in charge of Argyle I'd be doing this. Building from the bottom up (investing in the academy and, yes, using that to sell on), putting money into things that will generate additional surplus (the grandstand facilities) and using that to fund the team. Because those sources are sustainable. You get the team you earn. And the ice rink is not the club. That's a separate venture.

G

greengiant1886

pedro91":3r5wm3bj said:
IJN":3r5wm3bj said:
Rugby fans have to drink gallons and gallons of booze to watch that crap!!

Must be a right earner.
You have evidence about alcohol consumption?
There isn't really any dispute that being allowed to drink beer inside the ground at Rugby games would increase the amount earned on a match day.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
greengiant1886":kfiaht8b said:
pedro91":kfiaht8b said:
IJN":kfiaht8b said:

Must be a right earner.
There isn't really any dispute that being allowed to drink beer inside the ground at Rugby games would increase the amount earned on a match day.
Isn't alcohol sold inside HP on match days?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
pedro91":32f4wf7z said:
greengiant1886":32f4wf7z said:
pedro91":32f4wf7z said:
IJN":32f4wf7z said:

Must be a right earner.

Not pitch side and not whilst the game is going on. Whyelse would there be such a clamour to get a few in in the 15 minutes of half time.

Aug 5, 2005
pedro91":1uvyckfy said:
greengiant1886":1uvyckfy said:
pedro91":1uvyckfy said:
IJN":1uvyckfy said:

Must be a right earner.

Pedro you can drink and watch rugby at the same time. It's illegal to drink alcohol within sight of a football pitch

Sep 28, 2003
London
gariboldi":20bmw6zd said:

That's your opinion, and you have every right to have to hold it.

Respectfully though, what would your answer be to this - if said to you that we would get relegated this year, but in 10 years time we'd be an established, sustainable Championship team, would you take it?

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Quizmike":2ck80pwu said:
pedro91":2ck80pwu said:
greengiant1886":2ck80pwu said:
pedro91":2ck80pwu said:
IJN":2ck80pwu said:

Must be a right earner.

Pedro you can drink and watch rugby at the same time. It's illegal to drink alcohol within sight of a football pitch
Where have i said anything about drinking within sight of a football pitch?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I haven't the time nor the inclination to explain this Barry.

Suffice to say that Egg Chasers have far, far more opportunity to drink booze, and do.

Aug 13, 2011
Yes I'd take that of course but on the other hand I'm a football fan and I'm certainly not going to bother watching this rubbish in the interim. I'll wait. That's my perogative. If I'm being put on hold I'll put Argyle on hold. It cuts both ways.I may watch the ice hockey team if they are any good until we rise again. That's fair. I'm not getting any younger. I also don't know why we ever bothered getting promotion if the emphasis was immediately switching away from the team to venue enhancing projects?? Seems a bit of a let down that one?? All I can say is if our Ice Hockey team does well I may just get in to that and forget Argyle. Who knows?

Aug 13, 2011
gariboldi":2ly1b0lv said:
Yes I'd take the Championship in 10 years of course but on the other hand I'm a football fan and I'm certainly not going to bother watching this rubbish in the interim. I'll wait. That's my perogative. If I'm being put on hold I'll put Argyle on hold. It cuts both ways.I may watch the ice hockey team if they are any good until we rise again. That's fair. I'm not getting any younger. I also don't know why we ever bothered getting promotion if the emphasis was immediately switching away from the team to venue enhancing projects?? Seems a bit of a let down that one?? All I can say is if our Ice Hockey team does well I may just get in to that and forget Argyle. Who knows?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
gariboldi":2zmitq3y said:
gariboldi":2zmitq3y said:
Yes I'd take the Championship in 10 years of course but on the other hand I'm a football fan and I'm certainly not going to bother watching this rubbish in the interim. I'll wait. That's my perogative. If I'm being put on hold I'll put Argyle on hold. It cuts both ways.I may watch the ice hockey team if they are any good until we rise again. That's fair. I'm not getting any younger. I also don't know why we ever bothered getting promotion if the emphasis was immediately switching away from the team to venue enhancing projects?? Seems a bit of a let down that one?? All I can say is if our Ice Hockey team does well I may just get in to that and forget Argyle. Who knows?

Will said ice hockey team be playing in the very venue that you are pi55ed about them building? #irony (sorry Xy for the hashtag!) #sorrynotsorry

Aug 13, 2011
I like ice hockey. And im confident we'd get some shots on goal even if off the side boards. So I may switch. Argyle can wait for me now if I can be bothered. That's fair. I get incredibly frustrated watching them, it's ruining my weekends. I don't need that. I'll be a fan still but in waiting... I won't attend. I don't mind using the flash facilities in the meantime. I'll support them to help the projected team' budget'income to get these better players. That's my pledge and it makes perfect sense.

Aug 13, 2011
Thanks. Otherwise I'm a puppet. Some sense at last. I'll support the ventures and go back to see the football team when money is made available for strengthening and I'll still be supporting the fund 'pool' which extends way beyond the turnstiles. I think that's honourable enough.