Brief synopsis (Col Utd) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis (Col Utd)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
"Controlling a game".

Odd phrase in football and doesn't really count for a lot. How do you judge who controls a game? Possession? Because we had loads of possession when Fletcher managed us and lost a lot.

Spurs "controlled" the FA Cup Semi Final on Saturday... didn't get them far.

I would say being defensively organised and solid during a game is a sign of "control" and we do that in 75% of our games.

For all our "negative" football, here are the facts...

We're promoted.
Joint most wins with Doncaster (25).
Joint 3rd on least defeats.
We're possibly going to be champions.
We're the 4th top scorers in the league.
Joint 3rd best defence in the league.

League Two does not lend itself well to pretty football. Very few teams I have seen have impressed me. Very few have outplayed us in any sense of the word.

Doncaster and maybe Pompey are the only two who play good passing football, however against Pompey both games we played some lovely football too. Donny, we accepted they were a better passing side, so set up to frustrate them and nab the win. It worked a charm, it's called tactics.

Everyone's entitled to there opinion of course, but I like winning, it's fun.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Yes, another example. Liverpool 'thrashed' Crystal Palace 72:28 on possession yesterday but who won?

As I am sure Lundan Cabbie will tell us, Palace 2:1.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'm sure last season most people were saying that Adams needed to wise up and focus simply on winning, now that he's done that, suddenly we're poor, lucky and we don't deserve promotion. Proof that some will never be happy.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
davie nine":25k157kx said:
Yes, another example. Liverpool 'thrashed' Crystal Palace 72:28 on possession yesterday but who won?

As I am sure Lundan Cabbie will tell us, Palace 2:1.

As big Sam said after the game, its not how much you have the ball, its what you do with it that counts.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
dunlop":2m12g4x5 said:
German Shepherd could not agree more about this season, not taking anything away from DA but this is the poorest promotion teams out of the seven I have seen, we certainly have had our share of luck of the games I have seen this season, then I remember a quote from the great Arnold Palmer when some one said to him "you were luck today" Arnie replied "yes the more I practice the luckier I get" that is most probably where we are with the hard work the team puts in on the training ground. Let's hope next season we are more convincing and sort out our home form.

It was Gary Player rather than Arnold Palmer actually but nit picking aside despite a lot of reservations about the style of play and entertainment value the stats are quite impressive with promotion achieved comfortably in the end. On course for 85 points plus, a 12 point gap over 4th, best away record in the football league, great record against our closest challengers etc., there is some cause for celebration amongst some of the despondency. Several shockingly poor home performances have perhaps clouded some fantastic away results but our home record is still better than most. I like to think Adams knew the best way for us to improve on last year and get out of this league and also like to think he is savvy enough to know how to cope with the higher division next season.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":ifzpm0zi said:
I'm sure last season most people were saying that Adams needed to wise up and focus simply on winning, now that he's done that, suddenly we're poor, lucky and we don't deserve promotion. Proof that some will never be happy.

Perhaps you should check the points difference between last season and this!!

Jul 12, 2016
Some posters are missing the point. We are promoted but the manner in which it has been achieved has not created the excitement normally associated with such an accomplishment.
We are no lesser fans because we criticize tactics. If some fans are happy to see us lose to mediocre teams at home playing negative football then that's their choice.

Sep 6, 2006
jerryatricjanner":27jvu9m9 said:
dunlop":27jvu9m9 said:
German Shepherd could not agree more about this season, not taking anything away from DA but this is the poorest promotion teams out of the seven I have seen, we certainly have had our share of luck of the games I have seen this season, then I remember a quote from the great Arnold Palmer when some one said to him "you were luck today" Arnie replied "yes the more I practice the luckier I get" that is most probably where we are with the hard work the team puts in on the training ground. Let's hope next season we are more convincing and sort out our home form.[/
It was Gary Player rather than Arnold Palmer actually but nit picking aside despite a lot of reservations about the style of play and entertainment value the stats are quite impressive with promotion achieved comfortably in the end. On course for 85 points plus, a 12 point gap over 4th, best away record in the football league, great record against our closest challengers etc., there is some cause for celebration amongst some of the despondency. Several shockingly poor home performances have perhaps clouded some fantastic away results but our home record is still better than most. I like to think Adams knew the best way for us to improve on last year and get out of this league and also like to think he is savvy enough to know how to cope with the higher division next season.

Again see my post above. before people start banging on about how much we have improved I suggest you check how many more points we have than last season! perhaps its just the other teams got worse

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":1ui3q71u said:
Nothing against Colchester as a club but agree with what some people are saying about the ground, had a good day out but it wasn't made easy, a real trek from the train station to the pub, and then another real trek from the pub to the ground (taxis had a 2 hour wait and the buses were full), and then as for the stadium itself, a soulless pop up lego ground in the middle of nowhere, huge gaps in the corners which makes creating an atmosphere difficult. Not one I'll miss next season assuming they don't come up. Much preferred their old ground Layer Road.

My God the molly coddled youngsters these days. 'Real trek :funny: The London branch pub was approx. 15/20 mins walk on route to the ground and the ground about 15 mins from that pub. If you went into town( for some reason) then it would have been further.

Sep 6, 2006
IJN":2487jpw1 said:
They did against us!

The point is you CAN play attacking football and go up. And probably win the league. I would rather watch the way they play every week. I really do hope the quality improves next year. I note you said both teams played attractive football on Saturday. :facepalm: I do wonder which game you watch sometimes but like the rest of us you have obviously been watching League 2 football for too long to be able to enjoy that.

May 16, 2016
So which is preferable, we play a season of beautiful Barca at their best on the floor football for the purists and stay in L2, or we just do the necessary and get out of it ?

I've got confused over what the aim of this season (after 2 consecutive Play Off fails) actually was. I'm trying to feel positive that we're up, but still feeling guilty for doing so because we're sh8te.

I get so confused sometimes.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Balham_Green":20f9ccfx said:
jerryatricjanner":20f9ccfx said:
dunlop":20f9ccfx said:
German Shepherd could not agree more about this season, not taking anything away from DA but this is the poorest promotion teams out of the seven I have seen, we certainly have had our share of luck of the games I have seen this season, then I remember a quote from the great Arnold Palmer when some one said to him "you were luck today" Arnie replied "yes the more I practice the luckier I get" that is most probably where we are with the hard work the team puts in on the training ground. Let's hope next season we are more convincing and sort out our home form.[/

Again see my post above. before people start banging on about how much we have improved I suggest you check how many more points we have than last season! perhaps its just the other teams got worse
It's not all about total number of points though. Teams finishing 12th or 13th this season will have several points more than last season and the league is more bunched this season. We fell short of promotion by several points last season and this season went up with several games to spare so yes I think we have improved and possibly some others have got better rather than worse.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Balham_Green":9mbg2oz8 said:
Cobi Budge":9mbg2oz8 said:

Perhaps you should check the points difference between last season and this!!

Not quite too sure of your point here; 6 points is not that insignificant ! ( being 77 after 44 last season cf 83 this, of course)

6 points for instance covers the spread of nine of the teams still hopeful of play-offs, from Accy(62) up to Exeter (68); any of those would love to have six more points !