Brief synopsis (Maastricht 1 - 2 Argyle) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis (Maastricht 1 - 2 Argyle)

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Bermudian Green":3ldf2d6k said:
Thanks Mark

Mark_Smith":3ldf2d6k said:
I heard one Argyle fan ask if he could drink beer in the stands and the surprised steward said "yes, of course." And another who asked if he could smoke, and the surprised steward said "yes, of course".

I challenge anyone to read that paragraph and not go all Steve McLaren

You got me! Brilliant

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":dmmoagt7 said:
jerryatricjanner":dmmoagt7 said:
davie nine":dmmoagt7 said:
Look at my post that encouraged you to suggest that I was paranoid. It was BG who asked if Maastricht were Conference (National League) level.
The paranoia comment was aimed at your claim he tried to drag the performance down. I couldn't see that, he merely asked a fair question. I can't believe the level of bickering and points scoring in what has overall been a pretty promising pre season. Some, less optimistic posters can't comment without having the cheap troll accusation thrown at them rather than debate the point made and equally the green tint jibe is thrown at more optimistic posters. Just debate the points people without resorting to cheap insults if you can't.

Mmmmm... that would be me.

Fair enough but when he tells you haven't been to a pre-season friendly and have, I don't feel I'm point scoring. Just putting him right. If he was posting inaccuracies about you maybe you would feel differently.

And still he goes on and on. Unbelievable! So he went to one pre season friendly. Big deal.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
jimsing":2lyjy3gz said:
Balham_Green":2lyjy3gz said:
So are they Championship level(according to Cobi) or semi pro which would more likely make them Conference level?!

According to Adams, it will be unlikely that we will be playing any team as good as that in Div 2 this season.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ply...-derek-adams/story-29556568-detail/story.html

The reporter, Andy Phillips, has headlined that DA said that Argyle are "unlikely to play a team as good as MVV Maastricht". However, in the article DA's actual statement was "When you come to these sorts of places, you expect the other team to have a lot of the ball. We certainly passed it exceptionally well tonight. We retained possession, we moved it from side to side. We won't come up against another team in our country like that."

DA's quote will be thrown back at him when we lose this season but I would suggest that there is a difference between the headline and what he actually said.

Apr 4, 2004
Surely this was the first real test of pre season. Everything before was mostly fitness and getting everyone some game time. Swallow, summer blah blah etc but I'm encouraged by what I have read about the performance. :scarf:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
davie nine":3er01vt3 said:
jimsing":3er01vt3 said:
Balham_Green":3er01vt3 said:
So are they Championship level(according to Cobi) or semi pro which would more likely make them Conference level?!

According to Adams, it will be unlikely that we will be playing any team as good as that in Div 2 this season.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ply...-derek-adams/story-29556568-detail/story.html

The reporter, Andy Phillips, has headlined that DA said that Argyle are "unlikely to play a team as good as MVV Maastricht". However, in the article DA's actual statement was "When you come to these sorts of places, you expect the other team to have a lot of the ball. We certainly passed it exceptionally well tonight. We retained possession, we moved it from side to side. We won't come up against another team in our country like that."

DA's quote will be thrown back at him when we lose this season but I would suggest that there is a difference between the headline and what he actually said.

I believe we are not likely to face a team that is so technically gifted in Div 2 as MVV were. As the Dutch teams have shown for years, MVV players were all comfortable on the ball.

MVV would be a bit more vulnerable at set pieces of the aerial variety, as was borne out with our winning goal.

This kind of friendly is exactly what we required in order to compliment what we have already experienced from the other friendlies played. A really good game between two sides who played good football (on the day).

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
For anyone there, were there any MVV players who would fit into our team...would have thought that might have been a consideration

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knarf Reprah":2cnbr01f said:
up_the_line":2cnbr01f said:
For anyone there, were there any MVV players who would fit into our team...would have thought that might have been a consideration

Why?

Because it's interesting. Obviously. Wondered if Adams might have his eye on any of their players after the game. Didn't think it would take a modicum of sense to work that out.

Jan 3, 2013
So we run the expense of importing a foreign based player? Would any of them want to uproot to play for a league two club if they were any good? Don't think so

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knarf Reprah":dqzjkyqb said:
So we run the expense of importing a foreign based player? Would any of them want to uproot to play for a league two club if they were any good? Don't think so

So you're saying Bulvitis must not be up to much?
Friio and Larrieu were naff were they?
Seems to be what you're saying

Sep 6, 2006
Knarf Reprah":1gbl0jdv said:

Why would there be extra expense? And you are suggesting Dutch 2 is higher standard and players are better paid. I doubt it.