Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport)

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
McCormick didn't learn his lesson because minutes later Parkin did it again but from a more difficult angle and the shot beat McCormick at the near post with McCormick almost out of his area. Quote from PL2 3DQ

Luke committed a 'keepers cardinal sin.... he wasn't ready, and was at the edge of his six yard box not almost out of the area, should've done better/

Jul 3, 2013
As mentioned I was in the home end right down by the corner flag and the Newport goal came from a strange sequence of events. We crossed the ball in from one side which the defender got something on so we let the ball trickle out for a corner. The linesman just couldn't have seen us quickly take the corner short and flagged us offside for taking said short corner. They whack free kick up top and parking scored a screamer. Unbelievable Jeff

The pitch looked a leveller today, glad we are playing them at theirs now rather later in the season. They seriously need to look at the pitch share situation in Newport three teams sharing shouldn't be allowed.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
It was a scrap against a rugby team and a very poor referee against us (despite the penalty decisions), but we did enough.

McCormick 4 - an early 2016 special. Dive for the ball man.

Miller 5 - struggled in the 2nd half.
Bulvitis 7
Bradley 7
Purrington 7

Songo'o 6 - typical Songo'o really. You notice him all the time, sometimes brilliant, sometimes terrible, positional sense isn't really there for a centre-mid.
Fox 8 MOTM - considering how the ball spent a lot of the game being pumped over his head and that the match was played on a ploughed field of a pitch, I thought Fox was excellent.

Carey 8
Tanner 6
Slew 7 - we gave him the ball a hell of a lot in the first half, choosing to use the left channel way more than the right. However, I think Slew's actual contribution was mixed at best. Much better 2nd half though.

Spencer 7

Subs: Jervis 8, Smith 7, Donaldson 6.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I honestly though it was a walk in the park. we had another couple of gears I reckon.

Apr 21, 2012
Malvern
The sun shone on the righteous today, and Wales proved to be very generous.
It was all fairly ding-dong until the penalty, although Argyle showed more quality than their basement opposition, who were content to rough and basic. By the time the penalty came, key Newport defenders had already been booked, and it was only a matter of time before their desperate measures led to one of them seeing red. That it would be the keeper with a straight red was not so easy to foresee.
With the goal and player advantage though, Argyle were able to shine, albeit a lack of attention to the clearly pumped and plump Parkin allowed him to fire a well taken equaliser.
Slew was a willing outlet at all opportunities, and he embodied a work ethic evident throughout the team.
Argyle fans were in good spirit, and some suitably refreshed, although it was difficult to create an atmosphere without a roof overhead, and that's why we made the sun shine.

May 8, 2011
greenSE1":3uj7rkla said:
Don't get to too many games but thoroughly enjoyed today (sat with the home supporters, £20 for a seat on the halfway line, can't grumble at that) and a match which I thought was quite even until the sending off. Thought Newport played very well and would never have guessed they were bottom of the league, although Argyle were the better side in patches.

The difference for me was that Argyle chased hard for any lost ball (something that previous Argyle sides have failed to do and always much to my annoyance e.g. Reid) and I thought our level of ball skill and awareness of space was also a little better. Carey and Jervis impressed the home supporters although imo Carey seemed to want to take too much time with his little tricks, he is good though. Reminded me of Alan Hudson of Chelsea - for those with long memories. I was impressed by Purrington. Cracking goal from their No9 whcih brought gasps from the home crowd, he reminded me of Trigger.

The ref bore the brunt of the home crowd dissatisfaction for his perceived inconsistency and some of the decisions did seem to go our way - not that I was complaining!

Green Army was in good voice but.....the English National Anthem? Only makes you realise what a dirge it is!!

All in all, a good day out and a good advert for fourth division football.

God save the Queen is not the English national anthem it is the anthem of the United Kingdom. England does not have an official national anthem.

Feb 2, 2007
Very quiet thread- are Pasoti-ites getting bored with our wins? Not much to moan about. Where are all the moaners tonight?

Sep 6, 2006
Re our first goal I thought the rule had been changed. If you got a pen the player would not be sent off and punished twice as in effect the goal scoring opportunity remained.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It was a nice touch by Adams to lay a wreath in the centre circle before the game.

Before the game I was worried about the inexperienced ref who after just one season in the Conference he was fast tracked into the Football League, although he has been a linesman in the Premier League, but to be fair he handled a difficult game well enough. He got a few decisions wrong as most refs in League Two often do but he was ok.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":z931jroc said:
Re our first goal I thought the rule had been changed. If you got a pen the player would not be sent off and punished twice as in effect the goal scoring opportunity remained.

In commentary it was stated the referee now has a choice, red or no red.

Sep 6, 2006
lilcol":x7zhc8a3 said:
Balham_Green":x7zhc8a3 said:

In commentary it was stated the referee now has a choice, red or no red.

Thanks. Leaves the door open to inconsistency then I would have thought.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
This game was viewed from the home side. Atmosphere was in short supply but it was good to be close to the pitch and hear and feel the game.

It was a competitive game and thankfully remained so after the keeper went off. Newport gave it a good go but it was possible to see that our players are of a higher standard. We matched their physical approach and were able to make things happen, which they did although it is hard to know how far to take the praise when two goals were penalties and the other a counter attack against 10 men. Still, we did play well and won and you can't ask for any more than that. An enjoyable game.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Slew has already equalled his best goal tally of three in a single season.

Adams certainly gets the best out of players who have struggled or not shone at other clubs.
Being top of the league and consistently winning must be a new experience for many of the new signings.

Most of the new signings didn't get our juices flowing and some arrived without much first team football last season.

It's all fitted perfectly together.