Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Jul 6, 2011
Andy Holland":v2wyvtff said:
Nelse trying to stagger back on to the pitch after having oxygen and the paramedics having to hold him back was priceless :)

That's passion for you, wish I was there to see it.
From what I could hear from the radio commentary it sounded in the 2nd half like most of argyles games the midfielders retreated to defensive positions and in the sense that doesn't really help the cause of Harvey and Banton. I think sometimes some of the folk on this site need to get a grip, on the sound of it many of those condemning the two forwards weren't even at the match, but 'my mate said' is not good enough. I don't know if they were good or bad, but according to both sparks and errington the midfielders deserted them and they were left on their own, totally alienated, which was contrary to the first half.
John Sheridan must be aware of this problem, after all it was an issue well before he arrived.
I don't think it was about Harvey and Banton, Reid and Allesandra would have struggled with that kind of service. Both defence and midfield need to discuss this in depth and try and become a 90 minute team and not a 50 minute one.
Apart from that well done argyle, more points towards the total we need.

Sep 28, 2003
London
I condemned both, and I was at the match. They were both absolute pants.

Banton being clean through but deciding to run AWAY from goal is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen at a match.

Oct 11, 2014
Meanwhile at Northampton, Wilder has the players in at 0800hrs tomorrow morning for a training session, and their Physio seems to be off his Christmas card list

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I thought we looked very classy today, until the (understandable) substitutions were made.

We have a great team but the squad is a bit thin.

The NTFC people said we were the best team they've seen this season by a country mile.

Dec 20, 2011
But Banton ??? C'mon. Not a team squad or decent player by the sounds if his actions at the whistle are anything to go on Ian. Poor show

Jul 6, 2011
Andy Holland":1vdzdkge said:
I condemned both, and I was at the match. They were both absolute pants.

Banton being clean through but deciding to run AWAY from goal is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen at a match.

On the sound of it Harvey was on for about quarter of an hour, hardly time to get warmed up and into the pace of the game, but that's about all Harvey ever gets. He'll never become a world beater at that rate.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
briangreen":1o4rmn84 said:
Andy Holland":1o4rmn84 said:
Nelse trying to stagger back on to the pitch after having oxygen and the paramedics having to hold him back was priceless :)

That's passion for you, wish I was there to see it.
From what I could hear from the radio commentary it sounded in the 2nd half like most of argyles games the midfielders retreated to defensive positions and in the sense that doesn't really help the cause of Harvey and Banton. I think sometimes some of the folk on this site need to get a grip, on the sound of it many of those condemning the two forwards weren't even at the match, but 'my mate said' is not good enough. I don't know if they were good or bad, but according to both sparks and errington the midfielders deserted them and they were left on their own, totally alienated, which was contrary to the first half.
John Sheridan must be aware of this problem, after all it was an issue well before he arrived.
I don't think it was about Harvey and Banton, Reid and Allesandra would have struggled with that kind of service. Both defence and midfield need to discuss this in depth and try and become a 90 minute team and not a 50 minute one.
Apart from that well done argyle, more points towards the total we need.

It was more a case of Reid and Alessandra holding the ball up and running the channels better than Harvey and Banton.

Banton had a great chance to make it 4-1 but just didn't shoot and looks totally devoid of confidence, Harvey did OK and had to drop back into midfield when Cox moved to right wing back.
We need Banton firing on all cylinders, he and Bobby Reid are the type of player to make things happen.

I can understand the subs being made, we were 3-0 up and cruising and it was a chance to put our best two strikers in cotton wool for 20 minutes or so.

Kenny Pester

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2006
Cattedown, Plymouth.
I noticed that Paul Wotton did the post match media tonight and it's been said that Sheridan & Harbin left right after the final whistle? Anyone find this unusual, wonder what they were up to? Only thing I can think of is that they went with Nelson to the Hospital or they're meeting a potential new recruit. I'm sure I read that John Harbin has a chat with potential players joining the club.

L

love_walrus

Have to say up until Northampton scored it was the best all round display I have seen from us for a long long time! :thumbs: Squeaky bum time for the last 10 minutes but overall we played some very good stuff today!

Cobi Budge.":3ifp7bnh said:
Heathrow Green":3ifp7bnh said:
Got to say that if are writing Harvey off at this stage then you need to look at the other "potentials" around the league to realise that given time (shrug, green army giving time to youngster, hah, hah) he can become the footballer that most can see in him.

Most gave Luke Young 3 or 4 years and he was never quite good enough? In fact, he's a conference player at the moment yet is still a god to many.

Hope Harvey steps up and proves me wrong but so far I've seen very little to impress me, in any position.
Come off it with this absolute crap please.

Danny Ings has scored four goals in the Premier League this season, and Charlie Austin eight. But they must be worse than every player who played in the Premier League last season, because they played in the Championship, right? Would you rather have Lukas Jutkiewicz or Jordan Rhodes? Who is better: Craig Gardner or Craig Bryson?

Just because someone plays in a lower division doesn't mean they're a poorer player. There's no difference at all between the top of the Conference and the bottom of League Two. Luke Young is currently tearing apart a league just as physical as ours. If he was as poor as you make him out to be, then Colchester wouldn't have come in for him in the summer, would they? Why are teams like Bristol City and Cardiff watching him?

Repeating something a lot doesn't make it true.

Luke Young is not a poor player. You think both him and Tyler Harvey are poor players. It's because no one can ever be impressive only ever given 15 minutes here and there, especially today in an unfamiliar role.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Will do a full review in the morning but I'm highly of the opinion that it was Banton who was the problem today not Harvey.

Tyler didn't do anything outstanding but (unless you're including 'he shouldn't be so darn short and thin) he couldn't have done a massive amount better either. He was isolated due to the rest of the team panicking after Northampton pulled it back to 3-1 but even so tried to make himself a focal point for out balls. Of course that wasn't too much use due to his build limiting him in that regard but trying to make himself free was more than his striker partner did. Yes, his lack of strength was a weakness but at least he ran into space to receive passes. If he'd have had a more active and physical strike partner (Reuben rather than Banton for example) then maybe his efforts would have gone to more use.

He also got into a couple of decent pass and moves during his limited time on the ball. One time at 3-1 where Kellett squared it to him, Tyler's head looked up to where Banton should have been running into but of course Banton wasn't there. Again, if Tyler had had a more effective strike partner who complimented his own weaknesses then that could have been 4-1 and a through ball assist for him.

Banton on the other hand did not make himself a focal point at all and when he was on the ball did not look to do anything intelligent with it. The fact that he ran away from goal when one on one and clear of the last defender was on of the most bizarre things I have ever seen in football. Unless you include taking steroids to physically make himself bigger and quicker, I think there is very little Tyler could have done better today when you factor his isolation and his passenger of a striker partner. Banton on the other hand is completely running on empty when confidence is concerned. He's also, I am afraid to say, running out of chances.

On the whole though, a fantastic game up until the slightly surreal last 15-20 minutes. The first 75 minutes of normal time were possibly the most complete away performance I've seen from us since maybe the Holloway era. Very good stuff but of course being Argyle we didn't make it easy for ourselves. Write more tomorrow.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Just saw Kellett's goal on the Football League show and I want to marry it. What a run and finish!

Absolutely brilliant performance up until the last 15 minutes - they hardly had a chance and we could have scored more. But we panicked after they scored, and it's a wonder how they didn't manage to equalise before Nelson went off. Nelson's injury galvanised the team in a way: even though we lost our best centre-half in the situation we were in, his obvious passion lifted the team and enabled us to see the game off. Sheridan got the subs wrong: Banton was terrible and we played to Harvey's weaknesses while he was on.

McCormick - 7 - Solid enough, and couldn't have stopped the goals. Nearly cost us a goal right at the end when he spilled one - but made up for it with a great catch just after.

Nelson - 8 - Mostly superb for the time he was on the pitch, but could have done better for their goal. But he gets an extra mark for trying to go back on the pitch with a dislocated elbow, and then geeing up the crowd when he was being carried off. The defining moment from the game: we were fired up after and was one of the major reasons we saw the game out.
O'Connor - 8 - It was mostly very good in every aspect, especially with the ball at his feet.
Hartley - 8 - Return to his usual good performance. Well-taken goal too.

Mellor - 6 - He wasn't bad, but he's played a lot better. A little off-the-pace going forward, and caught out more often than usual down his flank.
Bobby Reid - 9 (MotM) - Terrific. Showed skill, vision and ability to complete the passes he sees. Also did a lot of unsung defensive work: intercepting, looking up and finding an Argyle shirt every single time.
Cox - 9 - Has made the defensive midfield position his own with a run in the team. Picked up everything in midfield, and laid it off well. Showed good positivity with his passing too: it wasn't all sideways, and his forward passes were consistently accurate.
Blizzard - 6 - Did okay while he was on.
Kellett - 9 - Fantastic all-round. Goal of the season contender and good generally going forward - he could have had another goal. Much better defensively than usual too.

Reid - 8 - Good performance despite not scoring. Shielded the ball from the Northampton defence and got us up the pitch with his bursts of power and pace - won the corner that Hartley scored off, and set up Alessandra for his goal.
Alessandra - 7 - Ran the channels well as ever, but did sometimes show his usual lack of composure. Took his goal well, mind.

SUBSTITUTES:
Norburn - 6 - It's never easy to come on as a first-half substitute, but he did very well up until the last 15 minutes. Completely lost his composure after Northampton scored, though.
Banton - 2 - Probably the main reason they got it to 3-2. Running away from goal while clean through was bizarre, so was drifting out to the wing when Harvey got the ball in a dangerous position. Probably the second-worst individual performance I've seen this season, after Smalley vs. Mansfield.
Harvey - 6 - Could have done much worse in the circumstances. We used him as a target man, which really isn't his game, but he tried to use his body and did manage to provide some decent flick-ons. Let down by his strike partner.